I went for a ride today, here are some pictures (old)

I get no single track or gravel but I do cut through a cemetary for 2 km that just turned their drinking fountain back on for the season so that’s pretty sweet :confused:

Moving closer to the trails so I can make my commute have up to 20 miles of single track… just adds 20 miles to the trip!

Lady and gentlemen, col de la Machine:

First glimpse
IMG_4970 by Petr Malek, on Flickr

Unlike the other balcony roads, this one was flat through the cliff section
IMG_4973 by Petr Malek, on Flickr
IMG_4977 by Petr Malek, on Flickr

Circling the gorge
IMG_4989 by Petr Malek, on Flickr
IMG_4993 by Petr Malek, on Flickr

I had a shit light and this tunnel was long and unlit. I noticed my phone was picking up a lot more light than my eyes were so I was looking at the screen to see where I was going. Balancing felt like I had vertigo, but the speed limit was 90 km/hr and I wanted to gtfo asap.
IMG_4998 by Petr Malek, on Flickr
Full album if that wasn’t enough https://flic.kr/s/aHskB4F4cC

Got damn I should just visit you with my road bike before you go back to the US…

Please do. Here til sometime next summer, but I don’t know if the States are the next stop.

Also please come visit and ride the mountainbikes.

Holy shit, amazing

I decided to make today ride past work day and then do a bunch more miles to ride a section of the river trail. Rode some gravel, some timid laps around the jump park waiting for a train, and over a new bridge past some industrial wasteland.

this page is real good
gapping doubles on the h/g?

[quote=jdsmooth]this page is real good
gapping doubles on the h/g?[/quote]

I got totally rad, got the front wheel a couple of inches off the ground at one point.

At least 5’ drops on your has dampfs, suck it radlawn.

Holy shit, amazing[/quote]

Really, that is beautiful, thanks for the pics!

exploring on a commute home a couple days ago

Its been raining since sunday, so I snuck out in my lunch hour yesterday, on the wife-bike.
After 45 mins a nasty front came through, so I was pretty cold and wet by the time I got back to work, with most of the last 10 mins being sealed descent.

Belmont underpass, probably exactly half way between my work and home, on my old 2km commute, before we moved to the City.
Now its 22kms. My last hit out on the bunch ride this morning. It’s all going sweet. Time to put it in a bag.

This is a serious WTF.
A feckin Wallaby on my ride sunday morning. So this is probably 2-3 kms from the Wellington CBD, as the crow flies.
Generally speaking, we do not have Wallabies in NZ. There are a couple of areas where they were introduced in the 1800s, god knows why, and have become pests, but they are a very long way away from the Capital.

[quote=cousinmosquito]This is a serious WTF.
A feckin Wallaby on my ride sunday morning. So this is probably 2-3 kms from the Wellington CBD, as the crow flies.
Generally speaking, we do not have Wallabies in NZ. There are a couple of areas where they were introduced in the 1800s, god knows why, and have become pests, but they are a very long way away from the Capital.
[/quote]

I saw your instagram post and wondered about this. Seeing the dead one made me assume they must be common, but apparently not? Maybe with significant predators they’re becoming a bit more widespread.
FWIW the closest I’ve seen a kangaroo to my house is under 5km: it was hopping along a suburban footpath when I was heading out for an early ride one day. Get a bit further out and roadkill is common: roos and wallabies are everywhere, and the occasional wombat. So sad seeing a dead wombat, they’re so rolly-polly and defenseless. Also cute.

[quote=heavymetal][quote=cousinmosquito]This is a serious WTF.
[/quote]

I saw your instagram post and wondered about this. Seeing the dead one made me assume they must be common, but apparently not? Maybe with significant predators they’re becoming a bit more widespread.
FWIW the closest I’ve seen a kangaroo to my house is under 5km: it was hopping along a suburban footpath when I was heading out for an early ride one day. Get a bit further out and roadkill is common: roos and wallabies are everywhere, and the occasional wombat. So sad seeing a dead wombat, they’re so rolly-polly and defenseless. Also cute.[/quote]
It’s front page news over here now. I’m hoping to push the Royal Wedding off ! I can remember on a trip to Canberra, going for a run in the park before the conference I was attending and I nearly ran smack into a Roo outside the War memorial Museum. Aww shit. They’ve put my IG in there. Yeah they are only found in a handful of areas and already a pest.

Yeah, they show up in pretty built-up areas sometimes.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/police-chase-rogue-roo-over-harbour-bridge/news-story/e3e7bf634b541462c2eecc88348005d0
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-02/wallaby-rescued-from-sydney-harbour-by-manly-ferry-workers/9387724

That was an exciting couple of weeks for Sydney’s marsupial population.