if you can dodge a wrench, you can race a bike (training thread)

i cut the gluten…
all of a sudden i can digest milk again…
and the weird rash on my back i’ve had in different pattern for years is going away…

WTH: my morning ride routine of pastryxespresso isn’t going to cut it. Going to have to start baking gluten free pastries.

Just doing some base right now. little spin tomorrow. going to run errands while i do it. power test this week I’m guessing (haven’t looked at my training peaks calendar yet)

there’s some pretty damn tasty gluten-free pastries out there. although it’s nearly impossible to replicate a flaky crossiant, you can definitely do things like danishes without gluten and not even miss it.

Went gluten free six months ago, haven’t had an asthma or allergy attack since, this coming from the guy who coughed every climb last season. Being GF has improved my recovery insanely.

GF top tip: Quinoa is your friend. I go through pounds of this stuff every week. Also Quinoa pasta is my fave GF pasta.

If you need recipes for GF muffins (blueberry or Carrot/zucchini are my jam), I can hook you up. I have fallen in love with an awesome GF bakery, totes worth the hour and a half drive once every few weeks to Oakland/Berkeley for their bomb ass pumpkin muffins, poppyseed muffins, and coffee cake. <3 Mariposa Bakery, you da best. As for bread/bagels, the Udi’s stuff (can be had at Tj’s, Whole foods) is pretty rad for store bought. Other clutch store bought item: Snyder’s GF pretzels. They taste. like. pretzels.

i can’t fathom why so many bike racers are allergic to the glutens

Okay, so I did a one-hour trainer session with 3 x 10 FTP intervals (at least, I think they were FTP or close to). Holy crap, that is no joke!

Speed work, high RPMs, and high-intensity all work VO2max. I’ve seen conflicting recommendations, but the general rule is try to stick to one VO2max workout per week. If you’re getting that much effort in during the week, your time on the bike is probably better spent recovering.

Depending on your goals, you could re-introduce the VO2max work later in the season (after your other sport has finished) to sharpen up your form. Are you planning on racing any crits? You’d probably be a monster.

http://www.mensjournal.com/winning-without-wheat

the most compelling argument basically boils down as such: athletes eat a lot of food (duh). even if you have the tiniest of intolerances to gluten (as opposed to full-blown celiac; i think it’s rarely a black & white thing), that can manifest itself in ways that it wouldn’t otherwise had you not been eating 5,000 calories a day (with a good chunk of that going to carbs, and most likely, glutenous ones). ergo, substituting the gluten for other things like brown rice and quinoa (which also happen to be more nutrient-dense), you can see a performance benefit, if not decrease in symptoms of intolerance.

that’s the theory, anyway. i’ve gone totally gluten-free, and i’ve put it back in, and i just don’t personally notice that much of a difference compared to other dietary changes i’ve tried in the past.

I’m wary of crits (and mountain biking for the same reasons) because I’d hate to crash, break something and have to take time out of pool which imo is way shittier than time off the bike because you lose so much feel for the water.

My season is actually over, 8-12hrs a week is pretty much maintenance for me, sept-feb I’m at it 20ish hrs. a week and rarely have the time/energy to ride. Right now I’m on the bike like 6-8hrs a week but I pretty much just go ride for the sake of it.

I’m probably doing a RR in two and a half weeks and then for sure doing a gravel/spring classic thingy the week after that and depending on how those go I’ll prob start considering a proper training plan of some kind. I just honestly have no idea what to do on a bike for training other than just ride it.

to the dudes using power (or not, i guess) , what kind of workouts are you doing for v02 max? anaerobic stuff? are you working near your max numbers? just getting back into a block and i’ve lost so much over the past month it’s kinda bumming me out. hoping to add some <10min power workouts to my “just ride a bunch” plan.

My VO2Max workouts are usually done at the track with flying 500s, but since that is torn up, I’m going to have to figure out something else.

Another one is kilo repeats. That’s what the Monsker does, IIRC. I got a tip from an old school trackie to go hard for the first 500, float for 250, then hammer it for the last 250. It makes them easier to get through, atmo.

[quote=yonderboy]My VO2Max workouts are usually done at the track with flying 500s, but since that is torn up, I’m going to have to figure out something else.

Another one is kilo repeats. That’s what the Monsker does, IIRC. I got a tip from an old school trackie to go hard for the first 500, float for 250, then hammer it for the last 250. It makes them easier to get through, atmo.[/quote]

I can’t imagine you can do more then 3 or so real kilo efforts, at least with real standing starts.

For anaerobic I do 1 minute intervals. 1m on 5 off repeat 6 times. Maybe a tabata cycle if I’m in a rush.

[quote=feta lightning]
I can’t imagine you can do more then 3 or so real kilo efforts, at least with real standing starts.

For anaerobic I do 1 minute intervals. 1m on 5 off repeat 6 times. Maybe a tabata cycle if I’m in a rush.[/quote]

those are pretty good, but instead i do 1m on 4m off repeat for 4 times in 4 blocks. within each block i have a target cadence which i try to keep at. depending on what races are in store for me i do a few different work outs that will help me for that race. right now im starting the first 4 min at 104c then for the last min i jump up to 115c. i do that 4 times in the first block. second block i do 110c for 4 min, click two gears down and keep it at 110c for a min. repeat 4 times. third time i find a long climb that takes at least 30 min. depending on how im feeling i will do 1m @ 95 on 1m off intervals to the top. if not i will climb at 85c for 4m, and then bump it up to 95c for 1m untill i reach the top. and the last block is 110c for 4m, one click down @ 120c for 1m. repeat 4 times.

usually im in a great deal of pain afterwards, but if you can make it through this work out twice a week then you will see the gains. im about two minuets faster up OLH than i was a year ago when i started to do this, and the cadence work will help you become a better bike rider.

[quote=feta lightning][quote=yonderboy]My VO2Max workouts are usually done at the track with flying 500s, but since that is torn up, I’m going to have to figure out something else.

Another one is kilo repeats. That’s what the Monsker does, IIRC. I got a tip from an old school trackie to go hard for the first 500, float for 250, then hammer it for the last 250. It makes them easier to get through, atmo.[/quote]

For anaerobic I do 1 minute intervals. 1m on 5 off repeat 6 times. Maybe a tabata cycle if I’m in a rush.[/quote]

when i did kilo efforts in the past, i usually did 3-4 efforts. they’re a deadly workout and to be used in-season only for sure. i’m sure if i measured by power, you’d find significant drop-off by the 4th time around, so it’s very possible 3 is a good number to work around.

so for my local hilltop crit you have about 4 min on the gas. what is a useful 4 minute power workout?
just goin as hard as i can for 4 mins sounds like a terrible idea, of which i will do twice and say fuck it netting zero training stress.

also +++ ten billion to goat milk kefir. caseins i can digest (and not fart myself out of getting laid for a month)

15 seconds full on > 15 seconds of easy spinning X 10

Repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat 4 mins recovery betwixt intervals

Win crit

Profit

I try and race as much as I can, and make sure I put some big efforts in (either with attacks or bridging to breaks, etc.) earlier in the season before my targeted events.

In training, my main VO2 workout is either:

3-4x10-12’ climbing
1st: Just below Threshold
2nd: Anaerobic Threshold
3rd :alt 3’ JBT, 1’ above AnT
4th: AnT with acceleration over last 2’

Or
8’ ME (Medium Endurance)
20’ alt 3’ ME, 2’ AnT
3-4x5’ alt 30” lactic, 30” recover, rest 5’ (recover means still pedaling at correct cadence)

ME = 84.5%-89.2% max HR, or comparable watts (ex. my power for ME is ~270 avg, my hour threshold power is 304avg, so 87% threshold power, similar to HR percent.)

The idea behind both is that during the intervals you don’t ease up enough to dissipate all the lactic, so when you switch to lactic threshold it’s really tough work, and when you finish you only drop down to slightly less work, so really testing those legs.

What do you figure is a good way to get ready for a spring classic ride about a month from now? I’m planning to do as much riding as I can and get in good long rides with lots of climbing on weekends, but I’m worried the weather won’t cooperate, and I don’t imagine a two-hour trainer spin is going to give me the same kind of benefit as a 2-hour ride with some climbing, and I just can’t see myself being able to do 4 or 5 hours on the trainer. My brain can’t take it.

jordan, im telling you those threshold intervals are where its at. as novices we can get insane gains in fitness. in three months of doing them 3 days a week, i went from slowest dude i know to riding cat 3’s off my wheel. no joke.

Roundabout, what is ME? i have not come across that term in my very brief time being into training with power.

medium endurance, phrase used by ucd cycling coach

Okay, I’ll keep at it!

What do you have to say about recovery and mixing in the intervals with longer rides? Any smart words?