Installing cork grips

So I bought some cruiser bars and cork grips. Problem is, I don’t happen to have any hairspray or isopropyl alcohol on hand. Is there anything a guy might actually have in an apartment that can accomplish this? Like… vodka or something? I mean, I’ll go and buy hairspray if I have to, but seems like kind of a waste.

there probably is, but you can just ride your bike to go get the alcohol so it’s win win.

Not without handlebars!!

mount the handlebars then. it wont kill you to make a quick run from point a to point b without grips on unless its raining grease and oil

The whole point is I don’t want to waste money and stuff. I realize it’s only a buck or whatever but I’m never going to use an entire bottle of hairspray or alcohol. There’s gotta be something else I have around here that can do it.

a little bit of hair gel?

or peanut butter
peanut butters the answer to most things

I don’t know about any needs because they are cork grips but anything high in alcohol content will work (i.e. everclear, rubbing alcohol). I’ve used hydrogen peroxide once, ethanol will work wonderfully. Vodka will get it on but unless you live somewhere dry and hot it will take quite a bit longer to dry out since it’s only 80 proof typically (no clue what you actually drink, everclear by reference is 200 proof).

Mixing a little liquid dish soap in water works… Im not sure how it would be with cork, but it works for Champ grips and the like…

spit.

I’ve always used hand sanitizer, like purell or something. usually like 2 bucks for a little bottle that lasts awhile, not too bad

grammar edit

Oh snap. That sounds like it’ll work and I have some! Thanks!

everclear is 190 proof, 200 proof distilled alcohol is impossible to make

for what its worth

for what its worth[/quote]

My friends and i used to pour hard cider into a pan and then use a blast chiller to freeze it- when it froze down real cold we would lift off the sheet of ice and there would be nothing but a puddle of alcohol left, we would usually force someone to do a shot of it. isn’t that 100% alcohol? we always thought so anyway…

for what its worth[/quote]

My friends and i used to pour hard cider into a pan and then use a blast chiller to freeze it- when it froze down real cold we would lift off the sheet of ice and there would be nothing but a puddle of alcohol left, we would usually force someone to do a shot of it. isn’t that 100% alcohol? we always thought so anyway…[/quote]
“Since 95.6% ethanol and 4.4% water form an azeotrope (meaning that simple distillation cannot remove any of the remaining water), 191-proof spirits are the maximum proof that is available from the distilled beverage industry.”

i dont really know anything about, that little tidbit is just a snippet from random wikipedia reading

Have you tried to just put them on? I’ve used them three times and they slid on easily on all three occasions. In fact I had to put some cloth bar tape underneath to stop them from moving around.

Anyway, you probably have tried them already, just thought I’d mention it.

Yeah they slide on fine. The problem is the slide off fine, too. Am I retarded? I thought the hairspray acted as like an adhesive or something. Is it just to make them slide on easy?

Only as lubrication- if you used hairspray or hand sanitizer in awhile the fluid will dry (the alcohol will evaporate) leaving a sticky residue, but it does take some time.

So if they slide off tomorrow still, I should go get some glue or something?

I suppose…is there no kind of rubber or any tacky material inside of the grip? or is it just cork foam? even if it’s just cork, if it was a tight enough fit onto the bar it should stick by tomorrow.

no handlebars
no handlebars

im planning on spraying some spray-adhesive into mine then sliding them on.