IQ Cyo Question

Help me pick which Cyo I want. I will generally use it for wooded night riding. My commute home has a couple long slow speed climbs (totaling a bit more than 1 mile at 6ish mph) on relatively pothole filled roads. I do fine with my TriNewt LED at the moment but I would like to move to a generator setup.

Regular

R

I have no experience with modern generator lights but there was some recent discussion on the Cyo in the audax thread. Starts around post #1219 but I think it was decided the regular model was a better deal over the R. I’d read those posts then wait patiently for surfimp to tell you what to do.

[quote=anomaly]Help me pick which Cyo I want. I will generally use it for wooded night riding. My commute home has a couple long slow speed climbs (totaling a bit more than 1 mile at 6ish mph) on relatively pothole filled roads. I do fine with my TriNewt LED at the moment but I would like to move to a generator setup.

Regular

R
[/quote]

Surfimp was the one that had insight or made reference to another’s insight. Apparently, the R creates a bright spot, which causes the user’s eyes to adjust and not be able to see further than the bright spot at high speeds.

Got it, thanks for the info.

+1 get the regular Cyo not the R version. The regular is over all brighter (more lumens). The review in the latest BQ test of the R bascially said don’t waste your time, get the regular. I have the regular version and on my work commute have about 2 miles of dirt road (+8 miles of shitty city streets), and I can easily see all potholes. The dark area between the bike and the lower edge of the light isn’t as much as the above image shows. There is actually a decent amount of spill light that lights up the area just in front of your wheel.

What everybody else said above :bear:

Jan Heine of Bicycle Quarterly tested the -R version in the latest issue, and (to expand on what Bigmatt said) wrote that that the extra nearfield brightness of the R is useless if you’re traveling at any sort of reasonable speed. Maybe for super rough road and/or offroad applications at low speeds, but I suspect that’s not the sweet spot for most users, and as Bigmatt indicates it’s questionable whether the normal non-R version isn’t good enough as-is.

The above photos don’t show the light spill to the sides & around that the normal version has. It’s the best light I’ve used on a bicycle so far.

With the IQ Cyo, women want me, cars see me, and Freds want to be me.