Is there a wheelbuilding thread yet?

Gonna put one on the front and one on the back. They didn’t sell them as front and rear specific. They are symmetrically drilled. I think front is the direction of travel but that doesn’t make sense with the disk shown on the right

There should also be a sticker near the valve hole indicating which spoke goes where. I think the “front” term isn’t referring to front wheel, rather landing the key spoke in the right spot?

Yes that sticker points left next in front of the valve hole if the front sticker is to the front of the bike putting the rotor on the wrong side. Hence my confusion.

I have trouble believing they are laid up so they. Are stronger on one side to offset brake stress so I thing it’s just building instructions

1 Like

I have like two hundred miles on my pub wheels and I still don’t understand the stickers.

They’re asymmetrical? Usually that sticker indicates an asymmetric rim. Front hub is dished to offset the rotor. Rear hub has more dish to the cassette side so use the front hub rotor side for the cassette on the back.

The sticker by the valve hole with the direction of the first spoke is for your first spoke goes there. Brandt calls this the key spoke I think? The drilling on the spoke holes/ nipple bedding is angled, even if you can’t see it right away.

1 Like

Not assym the holes are dead center

That’s just the key spoke an if you aim that side towards the disc in the front and the cassette in the back you’ll have outside pulling spokes for the biggest torque loads

4 Likes

need a rim rec to replace my finally worn out Pacenti PL23. rim break 650b with 48mm tires. currently using tubes but maybe i should finally make the switch? This will be laced to a SON delux.

already talked to @Rusty_Piton off tarck about it and he recommended light bike carbon rims. as he noted this would be a hilarious contradiction to my jan heine memorial steel homerbiek. but i guess the ride quality is worth it? fwiw I am also a bigboi, 230+ at the moment.

2 Likes

Look I’ll just start the chorus of boring LB recommendations with:
you should go ahead and get Light Bicycle rims. I’ve used them when weighing almost that much, and they were fine. With 48mm tires I’d worry all the less.

Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder, but in 2023 I think that even pretty committed steel/brass/leather bikes can have carbon rims without anyone freaking out.

I mean, the rim brake part isn’t ideal, but whatever.

3 Likes

Carpet fiber rims go well with any bicycle (provided you can get them to match your braking arrangement – 650b is kind of crappy in that regard because every single manufacturer is making disco carbon rims.

The LB rims are pretty good. I’ve got a pair of 650b test-ride wheels that are those rims laced to some noname rear hub and a ur-705.

Do it Sam! I wanna see that blue bike with carbon wheels!

1 Like

If my ts-2 is properly adjusted is there a reason I should have a dishing tool? Am I missing something?

Park themselves say a dishing tool is still required. You can dial in your stand but don’t expect it to remain that way long term. It runs on springs, not lead screws.

3 Likes

That really bummed me out when I got mine. All that money and it’s reeeal hard to get it centered and then you still need another tool.

I bought parts that I can use for something else if I want to to make a jig out of. I could just as easily cobble together a dishing tool but it seems redundant

1 Like

And it’s not even centered when you buy one brand new. At least mine wasn’t, not even close.

1 Like

Mine wasn’t close.

Damn dishing tool takes up so much space for how little it gets used, too.

1 Like

Every truing stand has its strengths and weaknesses. I have a stand that holds center pretty well but I still prefer my Park TS-2.2.

I actually use my Park stand for measuring dish but I flip the wheel in the stand, which factors out the asymmetry (i.e. doesn’t matter whether the stand is centered or not). I posted a video of the procedure on IG and wrote more about it on my blog. It uses my digital tools but you can accomplish the same with a dial indicator and a calculator.

2 Likes

I was wondering about that. I usually just flip the wheel to see which way dish is out, work it in, flip, repeat until flipping it doesn’t change anything.

2 Likes