It's a bar tapin' kinda night (with lotsa pics)

The bike coop parts order just came in. Since I’m the one who does the ordering, I can’t resist adding a thing or two I want to the orders. This time it was new bars for the Soma, new tape for the Soma and the Razesa, and new hoods for the Razesa. So wiith my new bag of parts in hand, there was nothing to be done, but tape some bars!

The Soma got WTB Mountain Drops, along with some Dia Compe Gran Compe Levers I’ve been saving, and beautiful Deda green tape.

The Razesa got some new Tektro hoods to replace the terrible red AME hoods I had on there and Cinelli tape to replace the terrible 80s traffic cone orange stuff. I think lot looks much prettier now.

I bought the brands of tape I did completely for reasons of color choice, but both the Deda, and Cinelli are much nicer than the cheaper stuff I’ve gotten in the past. Both feel great, and I have a tendency to do a terrible job wrapping bars, and run out of tape before I get to the end. Both had ample tape and both feel really nice. Of the two I like the Cinelli slightly better. It stretched better, and there was more than enough to wrap the bars. Also Cinelli didn’t skimp on the finishing tape. All else being equal I’ll get Cinelli tape from now on, though I wouldn’t hesitate to get the Deda again.

The natural cork Cinelli tape is fucking rad. Nice bikes.

Cinelli tape is better than Deda, but Deda is cheaper.

Yeah, you’re right the Cinelli tape is a bit more expensive, but I’m glad I got it. I’m also glad I got it at cost :stuck_out_tongue: There’s perks to being tghe bike coop buyer.

I just tossed on some natural cinelli cork tape last night for the first time. Love it. Looks awesome and feels even better.

Anyone else notice how useless the finishing tape Deda includes is?

my deda tape lasted a mere 2 weeks before i literally disintegrated. it got lots of love for the cinelli tape.

Yeah it’s pretty lame, It’ll probably have to get finished with electrical tape before long

Yeah it’s pretty lame, It’ll probably have to get finished with electrical tape before long[/quote]
I have Deda on two bikes. Both needed electrical tape within a week.

Orange and green are the two best colors for bicycles.

YOU literally disintegrated? whoa.

The Razesa Bars really deserve a before and after

i hate that cinelli tape
it gets all slimy and slippery when you get sweaty
cloth tape only for me

i like your razesa though

[quote=“dooktruck”]i hate that cinelli tape
it gets all slimy and slippery when you get sweaty
cloth tape only for me[/quote]

I like cloth tape too. I haven’t had a chance to ride the Cinelli tape yet, so time will tell how I feel about it. It’s gotta feel better than that weird 80s styrofoam stuff.

I’m actually a big fan of the carbon-look Deda stuff.

Their cork tape is meh and the metallic-look stuff is absolute shit, but the carbon-look stuff is sturdy, grippy, easy to apply, and not slippery in the rain. Plus they give you enough to cover wide bars. The finishing tape is a joke though.

That Razesa is pure beauty!

Thanks Rusty Piton! I’m sorta in love with it. I upgraded the old DA 6 speed freehub to 9 speed, and 9 speed DA down tube shifter with a 600 RD, so it’s sorta a modern/vintage meld. The old 6 speed 14-19 corncob cassette was pretty badass in a vintage racer sorta way, but 12-25 9 speed is almost as closely spaced, and a helluva lot more versatile, and shifts like buttah!

Cinelli tape is the best I have used

I do loves me some Cinelli cork!

Thats whats on both of my daily bikes.