It's Electric! A thread for e-bike things.

I think this a red herring, and Pubes has a little person who calls him Daddy.

2 Likes

please dm me for details on how i did this.

10 Likes

:point_right: :ok_hand:

3 Likes

@Andrew_Squirrel what’s the chainline on your cycletruck with that M391 triple crank and the 115mm Sempu BB?

I’m trying to find a cheap way to get a better chainline and longer arms and not have to buy new rings in the process.

Got the luna chargers in and had to make a jumper harness to hook it up.

Success! The $40 Shimano M361 crank on the Sempu 115mm BB has a chainline of 46mm with the chunky BMX ring in the middle position. The thinner stock steel ring probably puts that around 47-48mm.

gotthe new battery bag in, and have it installed now. The fitment is okay. The quality of the bag itself though is pretty nice for as cheap as it was. And it fits the big ass battery.

1 Like

This is a cool little garage-project type thing. A planetary gear set that tricks your wheel speed sensor into thinking you’re going slower than you are, thus defeating top-speed restrictions. Requires no electronic fiddling and easy to uninstall leaving your bike in factory-functioning condition.

The website seems slow, but it has a nice animation of the device in operation.

3 Likes

Here I am peeking under the bags on my xtracycle…

1 Like

https://santafe.craigslist.org/bik/d/santa-fe-custom-etrike-s-fat-dullie/7254420435.html

2 Likes

IMO its so far beyond the pale its come around to being badass.

If something like this came around and I could combine it with the local credit, I think I’d have to consider one of those cargo type bikes that can work for people of different heights.

6 Likes

As spring is sprunging and schools are back in session, I am seeing a LOT of e-bikes under middle-school aged folks. Some are riding in packs with friends on normal bikes, lots are cruising with a friend sitting on the cargo rack.

Sure all of them physically could be on analog bikes, but I find myself just happy to see them out around town doing their own thing, and I’m glad to have more two-wheeled advocates in the making rather than fewer. (tho damn these rides are a lot more expensive than whatever bike I had at that age)

So far this is mostly pre-driving age, then there’s a gap until you get to 20-30 somethings who may or may not be tourists on rented e-bikes. Either way they are everywhere in town.

4 Likes

I’m happy for them but I hope they’re being safe because once a kid gets killed, regulations start coming in.

Is there such a thing as ‘fast’ e-cargo bike tires, or does it not really matter as much? Most of what I’m seeing are tubed marathons, which is making me wince but maybe I need to re-adjust my expectations…

General consensus is that fixing a flat on a cargo bike sucks so much, just ride the turds. I had powerblocks on my non electric cargo for a while, but between big bike bounce and the impossibility of flipping it upside down to fix a flat, I swapped to some random schwalbes.

2 Likes

I think it just doesn’t matter as much. When I’m hauling two kids and their school stuff I just want to not get a flat. Not concerned at all about saving a few watts or getting that sw8 supple ride.

1 Like

If you’re worried about supple, get a supple seat. I know cruiser seats are dumb as hell but I threw one on the E bike and it is a dream to ride now. It’s just some piece of crap puffy seat off of a cruiser but I’m really interested in looking into a higher quality cruiser seat it’s such a game changer

Or go to through-axle wheels – they’re a hell of a lot less fussy (sample size: 1 modified frame :-)) to pry out from under a bicycle than q/r’s are.

2 Likes

I’d go with tubeless if possible or a lighter tubes tire with some tubeless sealant in the tube.