ITT: Rivbike Silver Shifter users

Now I know there are a few of you, I think it was Jim or Rusty who bought some a month ago. I believe Surfimp has some too.

List your pro’s/con’s from using them

I’m thinking about using it with a 10 speed cassette, is that a bad idea? should I go do 9 speed?

The more speeds you add the less room between cogs, narrower chain (weaker?), and mostly more expensive for the chain and cassette. Personally, I doubt I would go more than 9 speed with friction. I have my Silver shifters running an 8 speed cassette with a double up front with fine results. They work great, and are super easy to use. I am coming from STI/Brifters or bar ends and after one ride I was doing double shifts with both levers with one hand.

Pros: easy to use, easy to shift, not much to break, relatively cheap
Cons: my front shifter bolt doesn’t stay tight for some reason and often ends up with me tightening the screw some more to keep the derailleur were it should be. My other problem I have “with” them might not be their fault. I get ghost shifting when out of the saddle, but that might be a fat ass->flexy frame collabo. I am going to try a different set of down tube shifters to see if I still have ghost shifting and it really is the frame.

Hopefully mine will be here by the end of the week, should be running 2 x 8 campy. I’m excited.

Doubt it would work well.

9spd friction is just shy of crossing the line between “requires precision” and “fuck this, i’m going down to 8spd or getting indexing”

i wouldn’t try 10.

My girlfriend got some for her bike recently. I really like them, and look forward to a point in the future where I can get a set of my own. The micro ratcheting is really nice and feels great, much nicer than the XT thumbies I have in friction mode. I can’t say I’ve got a lot of saddle time using them, since it’s not my bike and it’s not even my size, but from a couple or parking lot cruises, I like what I feel. They are pretty long though, so if you’re using them in bar end mode and are used to Shimanos, prepare to be weirded out for a sec.

Rusty and Surfimp both have them as DT shifters on their Cross Checks.

I use em 9 speed on my fuso with no problem at all. I don’t know what toast is talking about. I dunno how 10 speed would be, but I’m sure it would work just fine.

PROs: they shift beautifully and look awesome. Nailing shifts is effortless and feels so damn good, man.

CONs: none

You will not regret your decision to put these on your bike.

awesome, i think i’ll go 9 speed for cheaper cassettes and chains

thanks guys for the help!

I have 'em too and third what’s been said re. their pros. I also run them 9 speed with no problem whatsoever and I can only assume they’d be fine on 10speed if you could get a deal on cassettes and chains that made it worth it. I think on campy eleven speed the shits and giggles alone would make it worth the financial outlay.

One other major pro is that they’re some of the cheapest road shifters out there. For this reason, and because they are quite a functional and reliable product, they deliver an amazing price-to-performance ratio that’s comparable to other cult bike products like Tektro’s aero levers, Tektro 720 cantis and like such as.

Cons:

They have a shitty plastic washer that might break (at which point you can just replace it with something stainless or aluminum from your lhs)
The right hand one does tend to come loose, which may lead manders to think that every cog on their cassette has suddenly worn out and started to skip. I’m trying blue loctite on mine because that’s definitely an annoyance.
If you’re wearing no gloves and holding one of them in the right (wrong) way, a big and decisive downshift can result in the skin on your palm getting pinched. However i figure this can only really happen once.
The straight design is more liable to poke you in the leg than DA’s bent design if youre using them as barcons and out of the saddle doing a fiddly slow moving maneuver like a u-turn on a narrow road.

9-speed friction shifting is heaven if you have precise shifters. I have some beautiful ratcheting Suntour MTB thumbies on the Stumpjumper that work a hell of a lot better than most indexed systems I’ve ever used. I find that the shifts are so close together that any movement will shift, making them practically indexed anyway.

I’m going to give the Silver barcons a shot when I build up my cross/road bike this spring. Debating 9/10 speed. Think I’m going to go with 9 because of the ready availability of cheap, high-quality parts, but 10 would be badass.

i fuckin hate my barcons when i get poked in the leg :colbert:

[quote=deadforkinglast]9-speed friction shifting is heaven if you have precise shifters. I have some beautiful ratcheting Suntour MTB thumbies on the Stumpjumper that work a hell of a lot better than most indexed systems I’ve ever used. I find that the shifts are so close together that any movement will shift, making them practically indexed anyway.

I’m going to give the Silver barcons a shot when I build up my cross/road bike this spring. Debating 9/10 speed. Think I’m going to go with 9 because of the ready availability of cheap, high-quality parts, but 10 would be badass.[/quote]

yeah, my comment on 9spd was coming from a background with basic 105 DTs (from 8spd era, on 9spd drivetrain)

Mine arrived today, just put them on, when the kids go to bed I should finish putting the bike together. I’m excited.

my compact bars to the same to me, but i think it might be my form to blame.

[quote=toast][quote=deadforkinglast]9-speed friction shifting is heaven if you have precise shifters. I have some beautiful ratcheting Suntour MTB thumbies on the Stumpjumper that work a hell of a lot better than most indexed systems I’ve ever used. I find that the shifts are so close together that any movement will shift, making them practically indexed anyway.

I’m going to give the Silver barcons a shot when I build up my cross/road bike this spring. Debating 9/10 speed. Think I’m going to go with 9 because of the ready availability of cheap, high-quality parts, but 10 would be badass.[/quote]

yeah, my comment on 9spd was coming from a background with basic 105 DTs (from 8spd era, on 9spd drivetrain)[/quote]
I mean, I have a 9-spd cassette on my Miyata that I shift with 6-spd (they do either 6-spd indexed or friction) Shimano 600 DT shifters that also feels great.

This is for real.

Silver shifters from Velo Orange arrived this week and are on!

^ This picture is going to make GrinderBear very jealous.

I really like my Silver shifters. Pros are as described above, cons are really none unless you hate downtube shifters. I do not hate downtube shifting and actually prefer it to brifters. My shifting is fast, easy, precise, repeatable, etc. I do occasionally have to tighten the screw on rear derailleur shifter (the one that gets used the most) but it’s not a big deal at all. I am running mine with a 9spd compact double setup.

Summary: if you want downtubes, do these, it’s not a mistake.