Jtek Engineering To Re-Open

The niche market of me would love a campy ergo version for an internally-geared hub.

you guys, as far as price goes:
the Alfine trigger shifter retails for $60, it’s made somewhere in Asia by ???.
The Jtek retails for $20 more, is made in Minnesota in a one-man (2 man! J+SON, now!) shop.

It’s a quality product that fills a niche. If Paul made this thing it would cost $140. Just be glad it’s available, be glad you can afford to put an American made component on your bike, be glad a guy can support himself by making cool bike parts out of his garage, be glad he’s doing okay in his fight against cancer.

Dinglecog the Nexus! A 3 or 4 tooth spread between the cogs, mirrored up front with two chainrings, would float my boat.

Fuck off.[/quote]
i mean i know hatin on biek is all in vogue and all on tark

but really, what did your post add to the discussion?

i posted my (first hand) experience with the shiftmate, and you post a response that is either a) an ad-hominem personal attack, or an invalidation of my experience with the product in question.
furthermore your post was unsubstantiated so i cannot tell which it was. (mebbe that jus me bein a dumdum)

so i’m going to throw it right back at you- add something useful, substantiate your opinion or gtfo.

if you are jus hatin for the sake of hatin that fine but make it more clear so i can tell next time.

[quote=sneaky viking]you guys, as far as price goes:
The Jtek retails for $20 more, is made in Minnesota in a one-man (2 man! J+SON, now!) shop.

It’s a quality product that fills a niche. If Paul made this thing it would cost $140. Just be glad it’s available, be glad you can afford to put an American made component on your bike, be glad a guy can support himself by making cool bike parts out of his garage, be glad he’s doing okay in his fight against cancer.[/quote]

The Alfine is $42 on Sheldon (edit: maybe $60 with the brake lever) and the twist is $25. Though his shifter is cheaper than this STI style component. $225!

At least I am glad they are back in business!

Fuck off.[/quote]
i mean i know hatin on biek is all in vogue and all on tark

but really, what did your post add to the discussion?

i posted my (first hand) experience with the shiftmate, and you post a response that is either a) an ad-hominem personal attack, or an invalidation of my experience with the product in question.
furthermore your post was unsubstantiated so i cannot tell which it was. (mebbe that jus me bein a dumdum)

so i’m going to throw it right back at you- add something useful, substantiate your opinion or gtfo.

if you are jus hatin for the sake of hatin that fine but make it more clear so i can tell next time.[/quote]

Here’s the deal. The JTEK shifter is a part that people have been wanting for ~20 years. The dude engineers and then starts selling them and people rejoice. A while later, the guy has to stop selling stuff because he has cancer. His son takes over the business and his health seems to be improving. This thread is about us rejoicing and without knowing any of this backstory, you pop in all ignorant and add that your experience with a shiftmate sucks and you don’t get why everyone else is so stoked.

it was funnier with suck, not son.

[quote=lwkwafi][quote=sneaky viking]you guys, as far as price goes:

It’s a quality product that fills a niche. If Paul made this thing it would cost $140. Just be glad it’s available, be glad you can afford to put an American made component on your bike, be glad a guy can support himself by making cool bike parts out of his garage, be glad he’s doing okay in his fight against cancer.[/quote]

The Alfine is $42 on Sheldon (edit: maybe $60 with the brake lever) and the twist is $25. Thought his shifter is cheaper than this STI style component. $225!

At least I am glad they are back in business![/quote]
okay, I meant MSRP is $60. and I was looking at the current model, the S500. Sheldon has an older one, I guess. I still think if Paul made this it would cost $100+

bump.

i still don’t see the bar end shifter on the site.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260491906756&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_11886wt_1359

That has nothing to do with Jtek. I talked to the MicroShift guy at the NAHBS, and he’s basically selling the same stuff as Nashbar (though maybe this new carbon stuff is fancier, I don’t know). I can’t imagine anyone taking a $500 gamble on a group like that, especially when it comes with the absolute worst crank and bottom bracket combination ever made, however light they may be.

I’ve read good things. microshift is the maker of the set. token and all kindsa guys sell it

The bike I played with at the show shifted OK, but the shifter felt clunky and the upshift trigger is hard to reach. I can’t see spending $500 on that when you can get a Rival group for nearly the same, or any number of used pro-level groups with a strong reputation for quality.

[quote=conor]bump.

i still don’t see the bar end shifter on the site.[/quote]
are they going to start selling that again?

[quote]Update:

Dear Customers,

We have reopened and are selling the shiftmate product directly to customers off our web site again. Jtek Engineering will now be operated under my son, Ryan’s management. Lets wish him the best of luck! Other products will be added again in time.

Sincerely,

Jay Guthrie
11/24/09 [/quote]
I love this company. father/son labcoats ftw.

[quote]Jtek Engineering is a small company consisting of myself (Jay right side, Ryan left side) and Ryan is my son who has started helping me out in the shop. We are looking into seeing if Ryan can run the business and keep things going because of my illness. He has a lot to learn in a short amount of time!

This is a look inside our shop. I purchased my first used CNC milling machine in late 2006. We have 3 of them now. Boy has it been a lot of work learning how to program and run these things, but it has also been rewarding to be able to make everything in house. I use SolidWorks for all design and HSMwork for CAM programming on the machines. I sure like these software packages and have been a SolidWork guy about about 12 years now.[/quote]

seems like they’re working on it.

<3 Solidworks

I agree. It is so intuitive once you learn the basics.