Kilo or Jury?

what the fuck is that piece of shit. god that guy is such an idiot.

[quote=toast]why can’t you ride a kilo on the track? alpenrose is 43deg here, i’ve ridden my kilo on it. people regularly race kilos and similar frames on it. sure, they’re not as nice as a BK or concept, but i don’t see why it isn’t doable[/quote]i guess i shouldn’t have said can’t; more like “don’t want to.” from what the track director and all the adt regulars i talked to said for mass start races, it would be a lot better to stick with a steeper headtube angle on that track because of the tighter-than-most radius and the higher speeds reached on the track.

i kinda just don’t want to be swapping parts on and off the bike i’m racing on.

I think the Jury looks pretty schnazzy in chrome. I’d like it better with canti studs, but it should work pretty good with weinman center pulls. With some fat tires, stainless steel fenders, and a VO Porteur rack it’d be pretty snazz! of course putting a $190 rack on a $200 frame might be a little overkill. Still that would be a lotta shiny.

hmmm. maybe an internal hub…

I’d probably use a Shimano Alfine 8 speed with the above mentioned configuration. In fact that’s basically the city/cargo bike config I’ve been scheming uo for years now, except I would definitely want cantis. Thing is I have a beater MTB which doubles as my winter bike and my cargo bike, and it does everything that would do only cheaper and with derailers.

Get one of those j-tek bar end shifters for internal hubs. I have a growing desire to use one of those on a build.

The lack of a good mounting option on road bars has been my traditional objection, but this gizmo has me saving my pennies and looking for the right frame.

will an internal geared hub a 120 rear triangle?

The Kilo TT bottom bracket is listed at 30cm, while the Bareknuckle has a bottom bracket height of approximately 28.5cm.

The headtube is definitely more slack, I’ll give you that, but 72.5 is right there on near the geometry of plenty of high-end track bikes that I’m sure get raced at ADT regularly.

Most of the good hubs I’ve seen allow variable spacing for different spacings. You could also cold-set your steel frame to accept whatever size hub you were using.

The Kilo TT bottom bracket is listed at 30cm, while the Bareknuckle has a bottom bracket height of approximately 28.5cm.

The headtube is definitely more slack, I’ll give you that, but 72.5 is right there on near the geometry of plenty of high-end track bikes that I’m sure get raced at ADT regularly.[/quote]the listed height of a kilo bb is 28.2cm. is this turning into me defending my bareknuckle? :colbert:

[quote=barba]Get one of those j-tek bar end shifters for internal hubs. I have a growing desire to use one of those on a build.

The lack of a good mounting option on road bars has been my traditional objection, but this gizmo has me saving my pennies and looking for the right frame.[/quote]
YOU ARE ALL BITING ME

j/k, but i am building a grocery bike with a 7-spd Nexus and jtek thumbie.

I’ve been looking into this, and my understanding is that the Alfine is not re-spaceable, due to the disc brake option, and more importantly, I’ve read that the axle has stepped threads of different pitches.

The Nexus Red Band Premium apparently is re-spaceable.

and I’ll be getting that, laced to a Delgado:
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=WE9719
Anyone with QBP access know if that comes with hardware?

[quote=sneaky viking]
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=WE9719
Anyone with QBP access know if that comes with hardware?[/quote]

The QBP page has the exact same info as the page you linked to. It says it comes with quick release skewers included, but I don’t believe INter-8s USE quick release skewers. I’m gonna say you’re gonna have to call up AE bike and ask and hope they KNOW what comes with it.

Here’s a twin top tube sporting bike I would actually like to buy

http://www.dutchbikeseattle.com/html/bikes/transport.html

Does anyone have anything good to say about roller brakes? Other than those I think this bike is set up very nicely for the City/cargo bike.

[quote=Mattface]Here’s a twin top tube sporting bike I would actually like to buy

http://www.dutchbikeseattle.com/html/bikes/transport.html

Does anyone have anything good to say about roller brakes? Other than those I think this bike is set up very nicely for the City/cargo bike.[/quote]
i love the look of Dutch commuters, but Christ, that bike has got to weigh 40 pounds. God help you if you have to carry it up the stairs to your apt at night.

[quote=kowloon]
i love the look of Dutch commuters, but Christ, that bike has got to weigh 40 pounds. God help you if you have to carry it up the stairs to your apt at night.[/quote]

I bet it’s more like thirty. It’s still got the old high ten frame, but lighter wheels fenders and bars than an old Raleigh, and my BAG weighs over 20 most of the time. I think I could live with lugging that thing up a couple flights of stairs a few times a day.

[quote=Mattface][quote=kowloon]
i love the look of Dutch commuters, but Christ, that bike has got to weigh 40 pounds. God help you if you have to carry it up the stairs to your apt at night.[/quote]

I bet it’s more like thirty. It’s still got the old high ten frame, but lighter wheels fenders and bars than an old Raleigh, and my BAG weighs over 20 most of the time. I think I could live with lugging that thing up a couple flights of stairs a few times a day.[/quote]
get off my lawn, whippersnapper

I have bikes with less/lighter parts hanging off them and better tubes that are pushing 30lbs. I bet closer to 40. Carry 20lbs up the stairs in a bag is a different task than lugging an awkward bike up. I like the style, though.

[quote=Mattface][quote=kowloon]

I bet it’s more like thirty. It’s still got the old high ten frame, but lighter wheels fenders and bars than an old Raleigh, and my BAG weighs over 20 most of the time. I think I could live with lugging that thing up a couple flights of stairs a few times a day.[/quote]
A LBS, the Wheelhouse, has a number of the Work Cycles bikes. I rode an Opafiets, it was great, but they’re neither 30 or 40 pounds.

They’re pushing 50, easy. As heavy if not heavier than my freakin’ Xtracycle!!

OW! I lug my 20 pound bikes up and down the stairs every day, and even my Winter/cargo bike occasionally which weighs a bunch and has a Cetma hanging off the front, but 50 pounds of bike sounds like more than I wanna lug. Lucky for me my building has an elevator. How you think I got the Haley in there? :wink:

Living Room Trike

P.S. Now I want to buy one just so I can weigh it. That’s a valid excuse to drop $1600 on a bike right?