Let stalk about Bike Fit

Omg I can’t wait to see the cutesy graphic that goes with ‘asian friendly sizing’

lulz.

Ok, knee pain. Front of my knee, hurts when I squat or get out of a car. Never hurts while riding, though sometimes in the morning if I haven’t ridden in a while if I try rolling in a big gear I get pain on the outside.

What gives.

i think i may have had that when i first started riding sweet fixies.
saddle probably too low then too high probably. it was surely too far forward.
bars too low and stem too short…

jim.
make small adjustments and give them some time.
also. don’t use a big gear. just spin around town.

i would start by moving the saddle back. try to get a few cm behind kops. or like andre said. pedalling around with cadence around 70 or 80 or 90 or so and putting out a little effort to accelerate or climb a very slight hill, you should be light on your hands. should pretty much be able to take hands off bars without changing your pedal stroke or upper body position. if you feel like you’re falling forward…slide your saddle back a small amount…try again.
if you have a zero setback post (probably shouldn’t but even i do on one bike) then slide the saddle all the way back on the rails.
i would also lower it so that when coasting with a leg down your foot can be parallel to the ground and you still have a slight bend in your leg.
start there. move the saddle up or down a few millimeters at a time.

Argh, I hate having my knees behind KOPS. Feels like I’m pushing rather than rotating my pedals. I’ll give it a shot though, can’t hurt.

being a little behind kops will take lots of pressure off your hands and it’ll might help your knees too.
try it for a while and see how it feels.

Will do. I know the outside knee pain is my IT band, and it was caused by pedicabbing. Mostly hurts when climbing with cold legs, on very rare occasions.

Anyone get the 1-10 mile ache, 20 mile knee pain and the 30+ mile freedom of choice?

this is probably what i look like on the bike. trunk angle is about the same, that’s how the leg should look at the bottom of the stroke.
this article does a decent job of explaining some of the rational.

story of my life

[quote]Most people have irregularities and imperfections that cause them to fit on a bicycle in ways that are different from the norm. Some of these irregularities can be corrected over time with a proper fit, work on pedaling technique, increased core strength, visits to a chiropractor, surgery, increased flexibility, etc. but usually they must be accepted, at least in the short term.

Your saddle position is stadic, your bar position is fluid given fitness. A good starting place is with look pedals, you should just brush the
ground barefoot. I also usually fit just behind kops for hand pain. Stem length and angle differs greatly with bar choice and fitness. Generally if you are always in the tops it’s a bit long, etc but you need to listen to your body for that.

saddle height can definitely change due to lower body strength and flexibility, although you probably have less than a cm to play with. fore/aft can differ from bike to bike.

Fore/aft is a byproduct of sta and saddle choice. You can also change height based on shoes and saddle. For mountain bikes you fit lower, some people like cx a little lower as well. Generally though your saddle height should be pretty standard, especially comepared to the range experienced in the cockpit.

Nah. It sometimes changes with position as well, though less often. The amount of setback required is going to increase as the position gets longer and lower. I think I have around 9cm of setback right now. If you took someone of similar proportion with less overall fitness and core strength, they might need a ridiculously short top tube and stem to keep the weight off their hands and the trunk angle from getting too acute.

saddle position is definitely less dynamic and less likely to change, but those little cm-mm adjustments can make a HUGE difference.

I think what’s often missing in discussions of fit is its relationship with handling. The power/efficiency thing is usually talked about, but isn’t how a bike handles a huge factor in how it and the rider will perform? Variables like handlebar width, stem length, saddle height and fore/aft adjustment have significant effects on handling.

I think it would be interesting to compare the same position on several different bike geometries

I agree that changes (however small) are felt but once you know your ass contact point I would bot fuck with it like I would my hand position. Heath 9cm is a ton I’m bigger than you and am riding 11 ATM with a 130 stem and 60tt. I could maybe go back a few mm but that’s it. I used to find a shorter stem/ more setback nice but after effectivly rotating my position forward I find the bike handles in a far more stable manner

This. I have really short legs and pretty short arms, so to get my bars far enough out and up, I usually have to go with a seat tube that’s a cm or two too long and just deal with the standover.

Will the new H plus track frame have an asian-friendly size? If so, I’ll be super tempted…[/quote]

Haha, no i can’t. Since it’s that super magic c-dale geo everyone is after. (and is a selling point)
But yea, bikes are pretty much biased towards western bodies. Which makes sense. But this is actually a very good business idea. Bikes for asian fit. Cuz it’s something so many people here have to deal with.

I was getting that with Speedplays at the end of when I ran them. It sucked and I wasn’t into it. I think it was mostly attributed to the pedals wearing and play developing in cleat/pedal interface. I dunno.

Not necessarily true.

Your saddle position can change in small increments over time depending mainly on your hamstring looseness (or lack thereof), but also in terms of how much gluteus muscle you’re packing. Doing squats and having a power ass over time may necessitate changing fore/aft.

IMO the smartest bike fitter of our times is Steve Hogg. Google him. These ideas are his, not mine (except hamstring looseness, that’s generally agreed upon by anyone who knows anything about the human body).

Fwiw I have cleat derived pain for the first 20 miles or so then it goes away? Just the body warming up?