Let's talk about Modified Ortliebs

Anyone have experience or know someone who’s upgraded the straps on their mess bag?

The only mod I did to mine was add some nylon washers between the bolt and the webbing where the bottom of the straps attach. I noticed the holes in the webbing start to expand and decided it would be a good idea to increase the contact area a bit to make sure the holes didn’t get any bigger. It worked great. I think the new bags come this way.

The straps themselves are fine to me. While they feel flimsy at first they have been solid for over 5 years. I’ve carried some pretty heavy loads without discomfort.

[quote=tarckeemoon]The only mod I did to mine was add some nylon washers between the bolt and the webbing where the bottom of the straps attach. I noticed the holes in the webbing start to expand and decided it would be a good idea to increase the contact area a bit to make sure the holes didn’t get any bigger. It worked great. I think the new bags come this way.

The straps themselves are fine to me. While they feel flimsy at first they have been solid for over 5 years. I’ve carried some pretty heavy loads without discomfort.[/quote]
I was thinking about washers too, and adding a handle between the straps. Also about removing the waist straps because I don’t use them much and they get in the way from time to time/generally look sloppy, atmo.

[quote=Sandbagbear][quote=tarckeemoon]The only mod I did to mine was add some nylon washers between the bolt and the webbing where the bottom of the straps attach. I noticed the holes in the webbing start to expand and decided it would be a good idea to increase the contact area a bit to make sure the holes didn’t get any bigger. It worked great. I think the new bags come this way.

The straps themselves are fine to me. While they feel flimsy at first they have been solid for over 5 years. I’ve carried some pretty heavy loads without discomfort.[/quote]
I was thinking about washers too, and adding a handle between the straps. Also about removing the waist straps because I don’t use them much and they get in the way from time to time/generally look sloppy, atmo.[/quote]

All of that would be super-easy.

[quote=tarckeemoon][quote=Sandbagbear][quote=tarckeemoon]The only mod I did to mine was add some nylon washers between the bolt and the webbing where the bottom of the straps attach. I noticed the holes in the webbing start to expand and decided it would be a good idea to increase the contact area a bit to make sure the holes didn’t get any bigger. It worked great. I think the new bags come this way.

I was thinking about washers too, and adding a handle between the straps. Also about removing the waist straps because I don’t use them much and they get in the way from time to time/generally look sloppy, atmo.[/quote]

All of that would be super-easy.[/quote]

do you suppose nylon washers only?

[quote=Sandbagbear][quote=tarckeemoon][quote=Sandbagbear][quote=tarckeemoon]The only mod I did to mine was add some nylon washers between the bolt and the webbing where the bottom of the straps attach. I noticed the holes in the webbing start to expand and decided it would be a good idea to increase the contact area a bit to make sure the holes didn’t get any bigger. It worked great. I think the new bags come this way.

All of that would be super-easy.[/quote]

do you suppose nylon washers only?[/quote]

That seemed like a better choice for frequent exposure to water.

the only reason i dont like these bags is no pockets features. i copme from the trapper keeper generation and i need shit like built in pencil sharpeners and flexib;e calculators.

i don’t wanna spend five minutes having to dig around my bag to find the spork.

I keep my spork close to the heart.

Doug, I’ve found my stuff gets compartmented into smaller bags. Like a fanny pack, and one of those nylong bags with the drawstrings that every company has for promo…

Seth, have you thought about ways to get a light attached? I thought up by the strap I could rivet, or rivet on the strap. but… rivet what… I don’t like having lights on my bike for some reason I’m unaware of.

and have found it’s a great camera bag because is quite airtight, allowing the camera to acclimate to temp change. and I can sit on it without worrying about dirt.

I’m gonna put this design on it for ultimate tafness

now any suggestions on what to use? vinyl spray paint, screen paint, just sharpie it up?

Oh and do you guys all use your waist strap, if not, what do you do to keep it tucked, I tried wrapping it around the back but it slips down and then always gets stuck on my seat so atm I just let it dangle