lining up valves and tire labels and other subtle details of bike building, repair and maintenance.

[quote=Fergie][quote=jamey][quote=Fergie][quote=catdrew f]we wrap most bars backwards as it looks a lot nicer without finish tape and you can get it tighter

[I[img]http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Articles/A10/Untitled-8.jpg[/img]MG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Mr_Penut/photo-119.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Yes. I thought I was the only one. How do you avoid a lump near the stem where you need a double wrap to hold the tape on? I just live with it but is there a better way?[/quote][/quote]

That’s a nice picture, but I’m talking about wrapping the bars starting near the stem and then out to the bar ends.[/quote]

ha. Same way though. Just a diagonal cut. I usually cut a more acute angle than pictured so I can start with the tape already angled to wrap down the bar. No first or even half loop before I start moving down. I learned this at my lbs fwiw

dunno how the mechs do it

i can ask tomorrow

dont pay attention as long as my shit looks fresh

Air up tires once every three months, regardless of whether it needs it or not.
Lock at the same spot every day. If spot is unavailable, go to different rack.
Change brake pads when visible sparks occur.
Replace tires when Groupon presents itself.
Clean drivetrain, brake tracks, and basically nothing else.
Wheelies often.
Beer often.
Judge others constantly, regardless of how hobo your own bike looks.

How well does the double sided tape hold that extra piece on there?

[quote=Jim Lite]Air up tires once every three months, regardless of whether it needs it or not.
Lock at the same spot every day. If spot is unavailable, go to different rack.
Change brake pads when visible sparks occur.
Replace tires when Groupon presents itself.
Clean drivetrain, brake tracks, and basically nothing else.
Wheelies often.
Beer often.
Judge others constantly, regardless of how hobo your own bike looks.[/quote]
Sir, I would like to subscribe to your urine.

reverse wrapped bars is awful with most tape ime. I always slide on the tape when switching positions and I always dog ear it.
shit pisses me off.
get color matched electrical tape. I don’t use black tape on white tape anymore.

always
3M brand e-tape
fuck everything else

How well does the double sided tape hold that extra piece on there?[/quote]
holds pretty good, just gotta cut to proper size, that’ll hold down most of the bartape surface. i use the duck branded doubleside tape.

[quote=dougganita]always
3M brand e-tape
fuck everything else[/quote]

That.

And then what Eric and vt tallbike said. As far as bar wrapping goes, several methods work fine as long as you are meticulous about getting the sides even and here being no lumps or exposed shit. Single line of e-tape around the end, always black because matching tape doesn’t really match, especially once the bar tape is dirty.

[quote=dougganita]always
3M brand e-tape

Nitto tape is SO bad, which is weird given the quality of the rest of their stuff.

Overlap the e-tape by ~2mm at the edge of the wrap, pull really tight and it’ll fold down over the cut edge to the bar.

pimp crimp

[quote=Blakey][quote=dougganita]always
3M brand e-tape

Nitto tape is SO bad, which is weird given the quality of the rest of their stuff.

Overlap the e-tape by ~2mm at the edge of the wrap, pull really tight and it’ll fold down over the cut edge to the bar.[/quote]
Or just e-tape around the bar tape and don’t get any on the bar.

Naah, it doesn’t go on the bar at all, it wraps around the cut edge of the tape and stops at the bar, sealing it.

yeh

[quote=k_phombear]pimp crimp

[/quote]
Head mechanic at my shop had jewelers pliers that crimped his name in the cable tip.

Where should my QR’s point?

I try pretty hard to do all my own work and do it right, but I have no idea where they’re “supposed” to point.

Also, that name in the crimp is pretty rad. Tarckbear crimper group buy?

qr’s point directly up
that way if you overlap wheels badly
you don’t die

[quote=DDYTDY]Can read logo on front hub from cockpit. Hub logos lined up with valve stem hole. (sight though the hole and see the logo centered)
[/quote]

To get this right: Consider how your rim will eventually sit on your bike. Orient rim so that the text’s “down” is either towards the imaginary bike’s rear wheel, or towards the DS. Now, rotate it halfway in the direction the wheel turns so that the valve hole is up. The hole that is now forward is where your key spoke (the trailing spoke that is next to your valve stem) is going to come from. If your rim is “handed” the right-left orientation of that hole will determine whether your key spoke is ds or nds. If it isn’t, figure out whether your hub works best with nds or ds key spoke, and use that.

To find where the key spoke goes on your hub, and whether it ought to be ds or nds, orient the logo so that the text’s “down” is either towards the rear of your imaginary finished bike, or towards the ds. Now pretend you are going to lace radial and look carefully for the adjacent left-right pair of spoke holes in the hub that the logo is most “between”. If your rim has no “handedness”, the member of this pair that is farthest forward is going to be your key spoke if you lace radial.

If your rim is handed, well then you are going to have to figure out whether this handedness matches your hub’s ideal key spoke side. In the event of a mismatch, correct rim label orientation wins and you are going to have to move this pair of radial holes up or down. Pick whichever pair is closer to perfectly centered on the logo.

Now that you have your radial holes worked out if you’re gonna lace radial, go ahead; if you are going to do n-cross, then with the hub oriented as if you are looking at it from the rear of the bike. find the “high” (farther forward in the wheel’s direction of rotation) member of the pair. Now count n holes up the flange to find where the key spoke goes for n-cross. Similarly, count n holes down the flange from your “low” radial hole to find out where the leading spoke that will go in next to the valve is gonna go.

^^^ note to tarck: is this all right? i worked it out recently but have only built like six wheels.

^wall of text

tc: this thread is dumb

I belong to the cole school of thought
install it right but make it fun
Its why my bikes have chris king cups upside down