LIVESTRONG Challenge

I just signed up for the century ride. Anyone else doing the San Jose portion of this dealy?

I’ve never done 100 miles without stopping. Should be pretty interesting… I wonder if anyone else will be doing it on a tarckbike?

In memory of Aunt Linda <3

good luck. wear knee pads.

I was considering doing the one in Austin. I’ll be on my Masi road bike though.

In memory of my Aunt Matilda. No one ever bought me shit-tons of candy and play Lego’s with me like she did.

a century isn’t a big deal
i wouldn’t wanna ride one on my track bike
if you do it fixed get some cycling shorts

more like ice pads on your knees, all that friction!

Just eat and drink adequately on the bike and you’ll be fine.

Karl, are you riding 100 miles non-stop? Because that’s crazy pro-level riding. Most century rides involve at least a break or two for food. The only reason the pros don’t have to stop is because people bring the food and water to them - there’s no way they could make it through 100 miles unassisted.

This is the course:
http://www.livestrongchallenge.org/site/c.frKPI1PAIoE/b.4148991/

I’m going to be doing it with two brothers and a friend. Being the competitive types, we want to see how quickly we can cross the line. It’s my understanding that at certain points (7 of them) there will be water and food hand-offs from volunteers. If I need to need stop then so be it, but I’m fairly certain I won’t.

I just did 38.2 (on a two burrito stomach) and feel pretty good.

Anyone care to throw out a guess on a competitive amateur time for a course like this?

I’ve done lots of charity century rides, and I’ve never seen one where they had “hand-off” spots. The stops are off the road, with a few picnic benches, some food from local churches, and a cooler full of water to fill your bottle. No one is going to run along side you and hand you food. If they do, then that’s unlike any charity ride I’ve ever heard of.

I don’t doubt that you can ride the 100 miles, but 100 miles without stopping is unrealistic.

[quote=“bonechilling”]
I don’t doubt that you can ride the 100 miles, but 100 miles without stopping is unrealistic.[/quote]

+1

The event has several rest stops in place that are similar to the ones you’d find on any other charity ride. Doing the century ride fixed is definitely a challenge especially with the number of ass kicking hills a rider will encounter. I think it’ll be epic and very possible for a strong rider but thinking that you won’t have to stop at a rest stop is probably pretty foolish. You have to refill your water bottles and grab a small snack in order to keep your body in check.

It’s better to get a small rest at any or all of the rest stops rather than bonk out and have to get SAG wagoned back.

We’ll see. <3

I think stopping is going to be necessary, to refill bottles, etc…, but you can keep it short. Getting an early start and skipping the early stops usually helps you avoid the crowds later on.

For a long distance ride I try to go through a bottle an hour and eat a few bites of food on the bike every 30 minutes - a Clif bar every 1.5 hours or so.

have you done a century
much less a fixed century

i did a century with 60 of the miles at 23 mph average
we stopped to eat lunch and rest for awhile
this was geared
and it wasn’t really that hilly
it was hard

have you done a century
much less a fixed century

[/quote]

No sir. I’m leaving this very second to go do ~55 SF miles. We’ll see how strong I feel after. I still have more than a month to push up my fitness.

have a nice ride

Just did 58 miles, split a pitcher of beer with my girl and rode 14 miles. I only averaged 18 MPH for the 58 miles, though.

Do you have a computer, or did you calculate that yourself? Because if you averaged 18 miles per hour on a 58 mile ride, especially a city ride, then you should be in the pro peleton.

No computer. Google Maps Pedometer for mileage/time.

With any kind of urban start/stop riding involved that’s pretty damn good.

The ride is a well established training route though. The mileage is correct. I did it in 3 hours and 12 minutes.

edit* it isn’t spelled “milage”