Lower-end Campy vs Shimano

I’m going to build up my Rawland monster cross-stylee, and am on the fence regarding shifters. Normally I’d just rock bar-cons and separate levers, but I want to go with integrated levers on this bike.

Ribble has really good deals on Campy 10spd, but I want to run a Shimano 9spd cassette on a Shimano hub. That would mean using either a J-Tek adapter or a daVinci-modified SRAM derailleur. The alternative is to go with some Tiagra levers instead (which cost more, but can be used with cheaper derailleurs).

Will I be forever dicking around to get the new Campy levers working with Shimano (34/46) cranks?

Advice/suggestions are appreciated.

you shouldn’t have a problem as long as you run the jtek #2.

I tried one of those in the past, and couldn’t get it to work reliably.

why not do shimano 8 RD/campy 10 shifter? no jtek or alternative routing needed

also for what it’s worth in my brief time as a bike shop employee, i did a post-tuneup ride check for some lady’s bike and was VERY impressed by the shifting from xenon levers.

I’d be willing to consider that, too.

I had some Centaur levers for a while, and except for my gimpy thumb’s questionable ability to operate the right/rear “paddle,” I liked them. Well, that and the constant hood squirming (which I understand is much less of an issue with the new levers).

dumb question slightly related to this thread: where (non-ribble/UK) can i pick up campy cable sets for cheapish? i’m used to just buying whatever bulk cable/housing from LBS, but those have shimano “heads” (right?)

I’ve used Jagwire’s Campy-compatible stuff with good results.

lots of times the cable ends work for both shimano/sram and campy

or, just take like 30 seconds with a file or less with a grinder

I didn’t know that 11spd Campy would work with 9spd Shimano.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3946

^ that was like the least concise article/collection of compatibility tables i’ve seen in a while.

you can buy both. the circle c logo on the head means campy compatible. (but not for ULF stuff)

i think

I can only imagine how bad those tables are if you’re colorblind.

Campy shifters do not give a shit about your cranks.

Even the low-end models with gimped internals (formerly “escape”, now “powershift”) are a bit less fickle than Shimano, but there’s a reason Ribble’s pricing on them is so low. It’s not really a deal, you can only shift one cog at a time and there’s no spare parts. I don’t entirely blame them for doing it since they’ve gotta be way cheaper to make and are really so they can get back into the OEM market more.

A buyer’s guide:

Everything Chorus and up is safely Ultra-Shift.

In 2007 and 2008 (the “QS” years), the groups below Chorus were “QS Escape”, so avoid lower-end ones that have QS on front of the left lever body.

For 2009 and 2010 when the new hood shape came out, all the new ones both 11s and 10s were Ultra-Shift again across the board.

Then starting in 2011 they reintroduced Escape as Power-Shift on everything below Chorus. You can tell the difference in photos by the font/style of the group name on the front of the lever blade, which changed at the same time.

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. I’d forgotten about all the Escape/QS stuff. I guess it’s better to look for lightly used or NOS on eBay, instead.

I have 10 speed campy levers shifting a 9 speed shimano derailleur and cassette with the “cable trick”. It’s 99% fine. It worked 100% when I used an 8 speed cassette and the regular cable routing. No adapters and shit needed.

Quick trip to the garage to look at my shifters I have the QS Veloce 10s shifting 8 speed 600 RD/Sram 12-26 cassette and it works great, the one down 3 up shifting works awesome in cross races and there is plenty of trim for the front.
On my road bike I have record 10s shifters an 8 speed 105 rd/ Sram 12-26 these are the ones marked carbon bb system and have the infinite dumping for the rear and lots of trim for the front. I find that there is too much work involved in shifting these I prefer the simplicity of the Veloce.
I run a 10 speed 105 fd with the record and a 6 speed 105 fd with the veloce and no issues.

In reality I ride with 7 speed DT shifters or my SS most of the time.

[quote=scrub]Quick trip to the garage to look at my shifters I have the QS Veloce 10s shifting 8 speed 600 RD/Sram 12-26 cassette and it works great, the one down 3 up shifting works awesome in cross races and there is plenty of trim for the front.
On my road bike I have record 10s shifters an 8 speed 105 rd/ Sram 12-26 these are the ones marked carbon bb system and have the infinite dumping for the rear and lots of trim for the front. I find that there is too much work involved in shifting these I prefer the simplicity of the Veloce.
I run a 10 speed 105 fd with the record and a 6 speed 105 fd with the veloce and no issues.

In reality I ride with 7 speed DT shifters or my SS most of the time.[/quote]

With the QS, when you say, “one down 3 up,” is “up” shifting to larger cogs in the rear?

yes.