Lower-end Campy vs Shimano

Hell, I can totally live with that.

:colbert: FREEDOM IS SLAVERY :colbert:

yeah I can’t imagine wanting to shift 5 cogs and once and if I did i would probably go off balance and bonk my head.

I’m waiting for the Grant Petersen x Campy collabo.

geardump for wheel swap is great
I lost a hillsprint cuz srams didn’t shift down fast enough.

Just bought this pair of badboys. 10£ more than the current veloce, has ultrashift. Comes with cables.
Eventually I’ll want to swap the blades for silver.

I do this on rides somewhat often. There are some climbs that just go up, immediately.

^ also sounds very desirable for cyclocross. specifically, trying to come at a steep, short borderline run up from the flats with as much speed as possible, then dumping gears to power over the top without losing traction in the rear with a too-tall gear.

i’m thinking 2x8 shimergo for next season’s race bike.

DQ: When doing this, do you just limit out the extra clicks or something?

TC can’t wait until I can afford Campy on the Strongbiek

I’m probably going this route. The bike is going to be a more dirt-friendly version of my Salsa, so an 8-spd cassette should suffice.

or

lollin

Here’s the proposed setup:

Shimano 4550 cranks (34/46)
Campy front der
Shimano XT rear der
Shimano 11-32 (8spd) cassette
Campy 10spd Ergos

[quote=curiousincident]^ also sounds very desirable for cyclocross. specifically, trying to come at a steep, short borderline run up from the flats with as much speed as possible, then dumping gears to power over the top without losing traction in the rear with a too-tall gear.

i’m thinking 2x8 shimergo for next season’s race bike.[/quote]

Sorry if I messed people up but it dumps the other way, making pedaling harder unless you use the Shimano MTB derailleur that ‘rests’ at the easy gearing.

[quote=Reasonable Facsimile]Here’s the proposed setup:

Campy front der
Shimano XT rear der
Campy 10spd Ergos[/quote]

Looks good, I’ve got pretty much the same gearing range on my Rawland (34/59 12-32) and it works out pretty great. Lots of nice XTR 8-speed cassettes out there for you to use.

You should get a Campy “CT” compact-specific pusher from '05-'08, the inner plate extends way further down to better reach a 34t and the outer is radiused for a 50t max. I’ve got a brazeon one I could sell you.

[quote=scrub][quote=curiousincident]^ also sounds very desirable for cyclocross. specifically, trying to come at a steep, short borderline run up from the flats with as much speed as possible, then dumping gears to power over the top without losing traction in the rear with a too-tall gear.

i’m thinking 2x8 shimergo for next season’s race bike.[/quote]

Sorry if I messed people up but it dumps the other way, making pedaling harder unless you use the Shimano MTB derailleur that ‘rests’ at the easy gearing.[/quote]

goddammit, i knew this. makes more sense, anyway - basically just opens the ratcheting mech and lets the derailer spring do its thang, right?

Nah, I think it’s more like 1 click per gear and the lever has the freedom to move for 10 clicks.

At least that’s how it looked on my buddies Record 10.

that little ass thumb thing has enough throw for 10 clicks? cool.

can you tell i’ve never played with this shit irl?

[quote=Reasonable Facsimile]Here’s the proposed setup:

Campy front der
Shimano XT rear der
Campy 10spd Ergos[/quote]

so i take it campy ergos should work with my sram apex rd/12-32 cassette? and if so, does anyone want to buy my rival brifters?