Miguel's fat-tired fopmobile

There’s sketchy(?) ebay chinacarbon options.

Is there a “good” eccentric BB?

nope.

I hear the shim ones are less bullshitty than the set screw ones though. I had a bike with the set screw EBB and I literally threw that frame in the fucking garbage.

Bummer. Chain tensioner it is I guess

the bushnell is perfectly great

PF30 eccentrics are fine

the set screw designs are unrelated

Anything but setscrews, they are horrible. I took them off my bike and converted to pinch bolt and it’s been totally fine other than the paint damage

Had a frame with set screws, and the insert would spin when I tried to remove the BB cups. Never had a problem with a Bushnell-equipped bike/frame.

Mtbros: what makes a good climbing bike for fire roads/singletrack?

120mm fork or less. 69-71 degree hta. Reach and bb drop designed for something other than ripping down trails west of the Mississippi. Oh, and if full squish something that locks out.

So basically a proper XC bike.

Mostly, a rider with skill and fitness.

Well yeah that too… but assuming thats the case a stumpy hard tail is going to get your carcass up a fire road faster than a camber.

They are now Epic HT, no longer stumpy since that has gone #fulltrail or something. Epic name kept for all the XCracerbros bieks (which makes sense, but still kinda sad since one of the first rad bikes I bought was a used stumpy hardtail m2).

Yeah, what the Doktor said.

Mostly, a rider with skill and fitness.[/quote]
“Duh”

Thank you for the input. Backs up everything I knew

Fire roads, sure. He asked about ‘fire roads/singletrack.’

Whatever- typical MFTFM vague question/ obvious answer is obvious bullshit.

I’ll stand by my answer going uphill on single track. There’s a reason nobody rides 5+" bikes when the uphills count as much as the downhills.

Fire roads, sure. He asked about ‘fire roads/singletrack.’

Whatever- typical MFTFM vague question/ obvious answer is obvious bullshit.[/quote]
Really I mean a loose gravel road that gets as wide as 8’ and fire roads. For locals it’s basically lower springville from bridge road to upper springville and skyline. By loose gravel I mean 4" deep pea-to-lime size

Fatbike.

unless you’re buying from an italian company, all the current xc bikes seem to be pretty capable trail bikes these days.

pick something from the xc category from a major maker and that’s probably the best fit for the kind of riding you describe.

and as much as I think everyone should just get a 140mm full squish 27.5er (or a little less travel for a 29er, but I haven’t had much time on those), hardtails are more fun to pedal on the tame stuff, no question. Even with a lockout the rear suspension typically still has some action.