Miguel's fat-tired fopmobile

I own a 160 HT, that thing is fun as fuck! But I lowered the fork to 140 to not crack the frame because of over forking (On-one 45650B is designed for a 130-150 fork).

Then you do what Tarck Bear™ intended and buy both.

I wish I could get both. Currently just have a XC style hardtail

Thanks, this helps

Dq: 700x28 or 650x38 race bike?

Wat?

Race bike that fits 28s or 38s

I think tarck agreed that anything with a diameter smaller than a 700x23 starts to feel wonky under go fast use. The few fast fast rides I did on Baby Shoes didn’t give me all of it compared to a fast rolling 700x28-35.

Plus you’re going to start having to think about B.B. drop if you like to pedal turns.

I like 25s more than 23s for sure. I had those attack/force tires for a year or so and they were fast as hell, and didn’t really seem to give up any handling compared to the 23s. They rode like jackhammers though. I’m pretty sure that my 700x25 bike is faster than my 650x42 bike on everything but the descents. The 650x42 bike is faster on the descents, hands down.

Sorry I couldn’t actually give you an answer.

Dude cmon
Bb drop will be 65 if 38s, 72 if 28s

Right… so why bother jacking around going north of 7cm?

Also… who even makes a 650x38 tire besides Compass and Soma? You can still get a 700x35 into a 41cm stay bike so run that for long fast stuff and have a bike that also rips corners with some 25mm jawns from some company using the latest rubber compound tech.

y’alls are talking about 23s and 25s and Mig SPECIFICALLY asked about 28s!

[quote=NOVELTYNAME]Dude cmon
Bb drop will be 65 if 38s, 72 if 28s[/quote]

BB drop shouldn’t change at all, BB height will, though.

[quote=Endpoint]

Also… who even makes a 650x38 tire besides Compass and Soma? [/quote]
Pacenti/panaracer

Bikes have been designed around less tire selections

True. I made a mistake like that.

Still… 650x38 just seems like a compromise you don’t need to make.

The pari-moto and compass 38 are both very nice tires. I like the idea of a fast road bike with those tires, like this bishop: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bishopbikes/23030956003

However, if you’re strictly talking about a paved road bike for actual races, I don’t think you gain much by going from a fast 700x28 such as Schwalbe one or gp4000sii to the fast 650x38. The 650b is also pretty limiting w/ regards to rims unless you want to use dicks. Much easier to build up a rim brake 700c road bike

Yeah, I’ve decided that this is what I really want my road bike to be. I’m seriously considering building up this carbon Trek frame I have with some 650b rims.

Yeah, I’ve decided that this is what I really want my road bike to be. I’m seriously considering building up this carbon Trek frame I have with some 650b rims.[/quote]

Yeah, basically what he describes, except that mine will be Rivendell-ish, with long-reach calipers. With a wheel swap, there are a lot of road bikes on the market now which could possibly fit his requirements.

Who, besides PVD, has ridden a drop bar bike with a fashionably long front center?

all my bikes are between 650-675 and I’m feeling like I could go longer