Miguel's fat-tired fopmobile

What was the best team paint of the lugged racing bike era?

Mapei, yeah?

7-11 duh

i always liked the all black and white bikes they used to ride.

[quote=crowding]Who, besides PVD, has ridden a drop bar bike with a fashionably long front center?

all my bikes are between 650-675 and I’m feeling like I could go longer[/quote]

I need to measure my monstercx FTW but it’s pretty darn long.

[quote=crowding]Who, besides PVD, has ridden a drop bar bike with a fashionably long front center?

all my bikes are between 650-675 and I’m feeling like I could go longer[/quote]

My next lotrail bike is going from about 635 to 650 front center. I think pvd has a warped sense of road bike handling and am sure that his extra long hybrid bike steers like a truck on pavement. His point was to show that you could make a drop bar bike that does well on technical single track as well as road, but really it’s just one of his hardtails that he sometimes rides with a chinacarbon fork and maxxis refuse tires, then puts on a susp fork and complains about how the narrow drop bars are the worst part of the bike, while they also are the whole point of the bike.

I see little point in building a bike with the intention of swapping between rigid and squishy fork. You’re going to get the worst of both worlds. This idea has been tossed around forums since time immemorial. The drop bars will suck on trails and the tires that work well on trails are going to suck on the road. Also I don’t think there’s much to be gained by treading into pvd’s high 700s mm f-c ground on a road centric bike. The descents just aren’t rough or steep enough to justify it, and you end up with a Cadillac. I’m going to try to apply some forward geo principles to my new lotrail bike, like a slightly longer front center and dropper post. I’ll see if that amount of front center adds more benefit than it costs.

Di2 question

1. What are the options for a internal battery charging situation? Can I just drill and mount a something to plug a usb into?
  2. Are there any Di2 friendly dropper posts?

I know nothing about Di2.

…but (can’t find it now) I saw a blurb about an internal circuit to charge Di2 battery from dyno hub, which sounds A+

you charge it through the junction mount dude

and there’s now a barend plug version that works on some fancy handlebars

you don’t plug anything into the battery, that’s hidden inside and just part of the normal wiring

[quote=JUGE FREDD]you charge it through the junction mount dude

and there’s now a barend plug version that works on some fancy handlebars

you don’t plug anything into the battery, that’s hidden inside and just part of the normal wiring[/quote]

AH, maybe what the 3rd port on the front is for?

[quote=NOVELTYNAME]Di2 question

1. What are the options for a internal battery charging situation? Can I just drill and mount a something to plug a usb into?
  2. Are there any Di2 friendly dropper posts?[/quote]

the “A junction” in the Di2 system has a port for charging the internal battery:

the standard under-stem junction:

has a charge port on the NDS side:

the Di2 charger plug looks like this:

the new bar-end junction also has the charging port:

I’m not aware of any droppers that are specifically Di2 friendly. The internal battery can be dropped into the seat tube rather than stuffing into the seatpost however.

Or how about putting the junction in the bottom of a tapered steerer?

lol

Can the battery be charged during operation? (Can I charge while riding?)

These are all DQs and hard to learn without hands on.

Thank you for the photos, helps.

AFAIK you can’t charge while riding with an off the shelf setup. I’m sure there’s some workarounds though.

Like, can you just plug the Di2 charger into your dynamo or a USB brick and ride while charging? Not exactly. Someone** did make a whole wiring harness to convert the power supply to be compatible with Di2 charging but it was cumbersome, complicated and conspicuous.

The reality is that a charge takes 1.5 hours via wall socket then lasts for 1000-1,500 miles. You can probably stop at an outlet and spare two hours within 1,200 miles.

** The Oregon Manifest bike - Chapman Cycles
** Dynamo powered Di2 light touring bike, v2.0 - Chapman Cycles

possible future self charging tech: https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/article/shimano-dynamo-charge-di2-51334/

[quote=newellbt]
possible future self charging tech: https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/article/shimano-dynamo-charge-di2-51334/[/quote]

That’s pretty cool

:colbert:

I will need the following:
Shifters
Wires
Junction A
Wires
Junction B
Battery
Pusherdangler

Is this somewhat correct?