Miguel's fat-tired fopmobile

you gotta figure out the specific wire lengths you need for all the different connections

Yes, I’m cobbling that now

[quote=NOVELTYNAME]I will need the following:
Shifters
Wires
Junction A
Wires
Junction B
Battery
Pusherdangler

Is this somewhat correct?[/quote]

Yes, correct.

Consider also the EW-WU111 inline wireless unit as well.

Thx bb

Di2 battery life is so ridiculously long, it’s hard to imagine a need for a dynamo.

I’m torn on the Di2 business. Part of me loves the thought of always-crisp shifting and even synchro setup…but I know I’d forget to charge at some point and would be super pissed I didn’t stick with cables. It is tempting though

for real for real, set a damned calendar reminder every two or three months.

and iirc if you start running out of battery it won’t let you front shift except for into the little ring. then just don’t shift so much.

serious question - what’s the normal battery lifespan?

Not to envirobro too hard here, but honestly was just thinking on the ride to work that the real downer would be the pusher/danglers becoming less mechanical (fixable) and more circuit-board (throw away).

I know you’re all right and I’m being grumpy.

Most riders seem to average 3-6 months between charges, depending on how frequently you ride. At least a few years ago, Pro Tour mechanics were only charging bikes on rest days.

If a randonneur had a big event coming up, it would be well-advised to charge it, but a fully-charged system has more than enough juice to take someone through a 1200k.

[quote=Tail Hook Lengthener]Most riders seem to average 3-6 months between charges, depending on how frequently you ride. At least a few years ago, Pro Tour mechanics were only charging bikes on rest days.

If a randonneur had a big event coming up, it would be well-advised to charge it, but a fully-charged system has more than enough juice to take someone through a 1200k.[/quote]

Wow. Honestly that’s better than I expected, but I suppose moving a derailleur 3 mm doesn’t take much.

Any idea on life expectancy of the batteries? Probably not unreasonable to expect a few seasons out of the battery (unless Shimano changes shit to make it obsolete :slight_smile:

[quote=dotMR]
Not to envirobro too hard here, but honestly was just thinking on the ride to work that the real downer would be the pusher/danglers becoming less mechanical (fixable) and more circuit-board (throw away).
.[/quote]

I’m not sure I follow what you mean. Other than replacing jockey pulleys, once a derailleur is worn or broken, it’s broke for good and is already a throw-away type component.

In an interesting way, e-derailleurs are better than mech derailleurs in that instead of being locked into a single cable-pull ratio, a simple software update can possibly update your derailleur to whatever drivetrain you are running. (at least in theory, I’m not sure in practice how possible or available the software is to do this).

How has no one hacked shimano danglers yet? 7970/6770 cannot 11 speed yet

[quote=jimmythefly]'m not sure I follow what you mean. Other than replacing jockey pulleys, once a derailleur is worn or broken, it’s broke for good and is already a throw-away type component.

In an interesting way, e-derailleurs are better than mech derailleurs in that instead of being locked into a single cable-pull ratio, a simple software update can possibly update your derailleur to whatever drivetrain you are running. (at least in theory, I’m not sure in practice how possible or available the software is to do this).[/quote]

Good points. Would be cool to have a generic open-source shifting protocol…but hard to imagine Shimano willingly opening up that tech.

why? 10 speed sucks. also, don’t buy into 10 speed Di2. Shimano does not, and will not, make any replacement parts for these series.

also, for the shop bros out there, never, ever update 10 speed bikes via e-tube. There is a bug that i’m not sure if shimano ever bothered to fix, and it can brick systems.

also, after spending a buncha time on both mechanical and electronic, i never want to go back. If you can afford it, do it.

What I was saying was: why can’t 7970/6770 be updated via software to shift 11?

There’s no good answer to that

Wasn’t the answer that 6770 dangler/pusher will work 11 with 6870 eshakes? Maybe both pusher/dangler have to be the same series of something?

Was this discussed here or in a Zinn article?

7870 is a complete dead end. Avoid at all cost.

you can run the 6770 shakes, as long as they are running an old firmware. if they have been updated within the last year-or-two, shimano axed the backwards compatibility.

you cannot mix 6770/6870 derailleurs (or any MTB stuff)

lol at the idea of shifters getting patched to remove backwards compatibility. Everything’s becoming software that gets thrown away or forgotten in a year and we’re gonna regret it in a decade or so.

I’m more curious to know if anything has actually hacked Di2, as in cracked open their Canbus protocol.

If I’ve learned anything from deadender 80s FM synthesizers, someone will care probably find a way to make the firmware work in 20 years. Maybe more people play shitty old synths than use last year’s electronic group sets?