More power babies! (as requested by turp)

some of the zwift workouts seem ok, my biggest issue is the appletv interface makes selecting them a huge PITA, and I’ve already got things setup in xert (or trainer road before that).

1 Like

They’re overly complicated for no other reason than attempting to keep you engaged. This is not detrimental to your fitness gains.

Agree. They feel more like spin class plans than anything a coach has ever given me. But like spin classes, they can be extremely difficult. The only couple i ever tried were near impossible if your ftp wasn’t set low. Too much intensity.

1 Like

the SST ones are decent. when i was on zwift i mixed days with an 60-90 minutes of sweet spot in with some sort of z2 endurance rides and did a big ride on the weekend. like a chill 1 hr zone two monday and wednesday, harder sweet spot rides on tuesday and thursday, and a big ride (or sweet spot) on saturday. friday and sunday were usually rest day type things.

i think i could’ve been more productive with my time but i still saw noticeable differences in how controlled my heart rate was and how long i could keep on the gas when i got outdoors.

does anyone feel like this is an issue with a lot of training plans? even trainerroad with their adaptive plans can feel too intense for me

the couple of vo2 zwift workouts I did got reeeeeeal tough come the 6/7th interval out of 8 or whatever they fit into 60 minutes

How do I get my ftp right

Also what is ftp mean

Take one of the ftp tests on Zwift. Once you pick one, stick with it, it’s all relative anyway. The 20 minute and the ramp tests are the most common.

Ftp stands for functional threshold power. What this actually means is a rabbit hole, but colloquially it’s your watts for a max 1 hr effort.

I have this HRM
Lezyne sez use their “ally” app but can it just connect to zwift?

do you have power? ramp test is way less awful ATMO and easier to not be your entire evening. chill warm up for a while then ramp test and you don’t waste an hour on an awful terrible 20 mins. easier test to take without practice and just less time kverall

I have a smart trainer

sorry misread your meaning there. i do my garmin watch straight to zwiff

if it is on u should be able to connect it to the app. seems like the app is just for firmware updates and whatnot?

1 Like

Don’t need HR if you have power.

FTP is a surrogate for maximal lactate steady state. That is the maximal power at which lactate doesn’t not accumulate.

That’s hard AF to determine with any sort of precision however, especially without blood sampling. Doesn’t matter though, just get close and it’ll work itself out.

Between covid for the first half of April and then a cold that knocked me out for the second half of April, I’ve been off the bike for 5 weeks.

My CTL is down from 60.9 to 28.7. I don’t really want to do a FTP test; I’m guessing it’s down from from 3.33 w/kg to at least 2.8 w/kg from how my tempo ride went today. Cyclocross starts in September this year. Aside from some ultra endurance events, the XC season is pretty much done in July. I don’t think there’s much hope to salvage what’s left.

What Would Tarck Self Coaches Do? Should I drop back to base for the rest of May and build through June? I could also dust off the Time Crunched Cyclist plan and see where that gets me.

Do what’s fun?

I say that as someone who is always concerned about my fitness with no goal in mind, but sometimes the best way to salvage a rough season is to pick some goals that will be fun or work towards a bucket list ride instead of a race season.

5 Likes

Talk to me about Z2 training - heart rate wise. How do I know if things are “improving” ? I also know my FTP…what does “good” look like in relation to my FTP when I’m doing zone2 hr

that’s plenty of time for a full base-build-race

try signing up for a free month of Xert! It’ll give you power targets for z2 rides based on your full fitness signature and will allow you to track those numbers day to day.

When people talk about Z2 rides, what are they referring to? Does that typically need more clarity? Like in Peloton there is Power Zone Training and when they talk about Z2 it’s z2 power, not heart rate.
My buddy who’s a triathlete talks bout Z2 where his HR is in his Z2 HR zone

Z2 is generally 65-75% of your ftp or hr. You’ll know you’re improving because your power will be higher at the same hr.