Motor cheater chat

[quote=Larry Winget]There’s a GCN Youtube video where they test a motor-assisted road bike. In the example they tested cadence was limited by the motor and there was some definite mechanical noise that could be heard with the motor engaged. I’m sure if these are being used by the pros they’re more sophisticated, but it still seems like it would take some planning to win a race on one. That said, if LA has taught us anything it’s that ridiculously brazen cheating can work with the right planning.

I can definitely see some scenarios where motor assist could be a huge help without arousing much suspicion like putting domestiques on them for mountain stages, or even sprinters so they don’t have to work so hard to make the time cut and are fresher for the next day.[/quote]
Good theory. Also, like doping in some sports, motor cheating might be more widespread at somewhat lower levels where controls are more lax and people have less to lose and perhaps more to gain (getting into the top tier). In this instance it was a junior national champion (or, if we believe her story, a training partner of hers who is an even less notable rider).

Ugh god did you totally not watch all the amateur videos "explaining" it?  Or maybe Big Electromagnet got to you, too?!?!?!?  In seriousness, though, I have no idea about any particular case. It's going to be interesting to review the last five years of racing once the telltale signs of motor doping are better understood, though.

Very possible motor noise is a non-issue in practice. If this is in fact widespread I’m curious about attitudes toward it in the pro peloton.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/03/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-faq-make-11-speed-shifters-work-with-10-speed_398683 (includes motordoping info)

I love this aspect. My guess is that dad is swimming in debt, grasping at whatever he thinks can bring in some cash, including pushing his offspring to win and go pro by any means possible. Well, he was. Crazy as he is, now even he probably realises that they overplayed their hand and no pro team will touch them with a ten foot pole after this.

that thought gives pro teams way too much credit

I believe that these mechanical dopers have the motor in the bottom bracket, driving the cranks rather than the hub.

I also didn’t watch the video because I’m at work, so I could be way off base here.[/quote]

Well when you watch the video, you can see that the cranks don’t spin.

Magnets…

I believe that these mechanical dopers have the motor in the bottom bracket, driving the cranks rather than the hub.

I also didn’t watch the video because I’m at work, so I could be way off base here.[/quote]

Well when you watch the video, you can see that the cranks don’t spin.[/quote]

no, the entire bike spins,… which is what would happen if you held the cranks in place while a motor spun them, right?

i mean, i still don’t buy it, but just sayin’

Whenever I watch clips of racing, this is always what strikes me. It’s gotta be so fucking loud all throughout any given Tour stage.

The motors are quiet. 150w at a push of a button.

You can see her using it too.
Watch her climb. Like she’s on a Sunday stroll…totally different body mechanics when compared to other riders.

In this video you can see her back pedaling for a moment before the motor engages…

The whole story makes me laugh…especially about selling the bike to a friend a year earlier and he just happens to leave the bike in the pits (with the exact same saddle/stem height, parts, etc…)

Her family sounds like winners too…bro got caught doping. Dad was caught steeling parakeets (yes, really).

The store owner recognized the father/brother from the news.

Yes, we read the family bit in the original post.

Whenever I watch clips of racing, this is always what strikes me. It’s gotta be so fucking loud all throughout any given Tour stage.[/quote]

What also gets me is the exhaust smell. It is so interesting that it is such an artificial spectacle.

I can’t even imagine what it was like back in the day when everything was 2 stroke. That and the fact I’m sure those 2 cycle motorcycles were leaking oil on the track.

I’ve been passed by plenty of e-freds with big, powerful bikes, and i don’t recall ever hearing a motor.

same. First time was up a 10% slope by a big fat guy at twice my speed and I was all wtf until the 2nd one went by and I took a good look.

Worst for me was a dude on an e-fat-bike. Sounded like a monster truck on the MUP cuz of the knobbies. Dude was soft-pedaling on a slight grade and still going 4-5 mph faster than me.

A middle-aged lady on an e-assist bike overtook me on the last 200m of the climb to stelvio pass. I knew this could not stand so I busted my ass and re-overtook her… One of my finest cat6 victories, but I knew she could have smoked me on that thing without breaking a sweat.

Good job!

Secret Thermal Camera Footage Allegedly Shows Seven Pro Cyclists Using Illegal Motors In Bikes