MTB Race, 2010

i kind of want to get into 4x.

i’m going to do an mtb race this sunday. one part is super technical…so super fun. i’ll post pics and write about it when it’s done. going to use pop’s gear’d hydro’d hardtail 29er.

i watched my friends race on sunday. desire XC rig again. 45+lb norco does not compute for cross country.

set link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhystard/sets/72157623959096673/

first mtb race of the year. super technical course with tons of climbing. decided to ride the jankass 10 year old ss redline mtb instead of pop’s bike. the rigid beat the shit out of my fore arms and the ss beat the shit out of my legs. Got some awesome battle scars from going over the bars once and a couple of free fat tires(man, when i turn 21, I’m gonna owe people a ton of beers). should be good practice for the crit coming up with a huge hill in it.

Getting ready to snipe…

The following request to change your NORBA category has been approved and processed by USA Cycling:
tjayk - 2010-05-26 9:40
Member: snip snip
License: Cross Country Racer
Request to change category from Cat 2 to Cat 1

hell yeah - 2 races in to my xc race career and cat 1!

hfy dude, congrats!

Next up for MTB

Dark Horse 40
http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=9800

Landmine
http://www.friendsofwompatuck.org/landmine.htm

Vermont 50

[quote=tjayk]The following request to change your NORBA category has been approved and processed by USA Cycling:
tjayk - 2010-05-26 9:40
Member: snip snip
License: Cross Country Racer
Request to change category from Cat 2 to Cat 1

hell yeah - 2 races in to my xc race career and cat 1![/quote]
how’d that work? what do you start out at in mtb?

thanks dudes!

fat al - mountain starts out at cat 3. the first race i did as a cat 3, but gave me cat 2 points. also when i bought my license it gave me the option as starting as a cat 2, but for some reason i picked cat 3. then i upgraded to cat 2, which was automatic and didn’t require any review. then i did well in my second race and submitted an upgrade to cat 1 - which was approved by the local official.

registered for the vt50 but holy shit $134.69!!! i really hate bike races.

damn that’s pricey. paying $75 for the 24 hr race around here doesn’t sound so bad all of a sudden.

shit, i’m a stronger mtber than i though. looking at the results of the race i did and i got 5th out of 7 in ss. with the same time i would’ve beaten 10 cat 2’s and ended up 6th. i’m going to assume i would’ve been quicker with gears.

and the fastest time for ss(1:30:00) was 5 minutes off the time for the winner of the 2’s. would’ve ended up 3rd.

in the process of seeing if i can get out of the vt50. not down with having to stay overnight the night before, 5am check in, and 6:15 start.

sent in my registration for a 3hr race on the hilliest trails in iowa. this should be interesting

edit: it was $40. and after seeing what tom paid that sounds really reasonable

Just did the course preview night at the local short track MTB race series venue on my CX bike. Short track may not be real MTB racing, but it’s fun for sure. My riding got progressively better as I lowered my PSI… checked after the last adjustment and I was at 20PSI on 700x35 clinchers… eek. I’m gonna try racing with 30 next week. Not sure whether to enter C’s or B’s cuz decent fitness/cat 3 roadie but on semi-inappropriate bike/not the greatest dirt handling skills.

around here you would probably kill the C’s and get smoked in the B’s…

this picture = 'nuff said