my build thread (riventoast?)

It’s almost summer, and I’m without a bike project. And I sold my Litespeed, so this is even in line with a “one in, one out” policy to keep me from having 20,000 frames n shit.

Anyway, I already have a complete bike. It looks like this:

It’s for cruising and drunk and hauling dog in trailer and hauling other shit in trailer and trails and maybe will try it out on tours/camping/day trips but already have a Trek 520… anyway…

Things it “needs”:
-Slick tires (2.0 big apples)
-Fenders, at least at some point
-A non-QR seatpost binder system
-A straightened der hanged/aligned rear triangle cuz I mangled it stretching from 126 to 135
-New bottom bracket, or at least a thorough cleaning of current one
-Some more comfy grips, or a bar-tape-as-grips thing

Things I kinda want:
-New frame (this one would be way too long for me if not for the Bullmoose bars with a fuckton of sweep)
-Some kind of drop/multiple position handlebar
-With above, some kind of STI lever maybe?
-As needed, some modern derailleurs (got Deer Head Deore shit)
-Front generator wheel (but if I buy one, it should probably be 700c for more versatile use)
-If not that, then at least relace front hub with silver spokz 3x (or just shop around or a silver 26" non-disc wheel)
-Brookz

Tarck: advise. And don’t say “ride it as-is 'til shit breaks” cuz that’s obviously the best course of action, and also one i don’t wanna do.

Fuck, I like this project!

I have done to the stumpjumper a lot of the things you are talking about doing and fully support doing most of the things you are talking about. Being me, I have a lot more suggestions and shit to tell you than is interesting, useful or directly relevant. I’ll try to stay focused.

-You can probably align the frame yourself, at home, with a plank of wood and some string. http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html but you’ve probably already read that. It works. The tricky part is getting the dropouts/derailer hanger in alignment. This is really easy with a Park Derailer Hanger alignment gauge/bending arm (DAG-1) and Frame and fork dropout gauge/bender/aligner (FFG-2). It’s kind of hard without. A good shop could do that for you fairly easily.

-Do some mtb-ing on the bike with the bullmoose bars before you change them out. These have been a pretty key part of the fun I have on my bike, and after going mtb-ing with them, I was fucking sold. Bullmoose bars are super mega stiff and awesomely, supremely heavy in the best way possible. If the top tube feels a little long, raise them bars up. The super slack headtube will decrease the reach significantly as the bars go up. Plus, bullmoose bars above the saddle is pretty fucking riv-tastic. I never really feel a need to switch hand positions, even for whole days in the saddle, probably because I have so little weight on my hands.

-Old friction thumbies rule. Keep them.

-Springy Brooks to accommodate the more upright position.

-Get 2.35" Big Apples because they give you all of it. The 2" ones are still awesome, and run them if the big ones don’t fit, but the 2.35" tires are just the shit. I can fit Planet Bike plastic fenders over them, barely. Best tires ever.

You’re going to have a whole fucking lot of fun this summer.

yeah, your stumpy is a big inspiration. i slammed the stem cuz, uh, wanted to do it, hadn’t thought of bringing it back up and subsequently shortening the reach.

do you have knobbies for trail use, or is it all big apple, all the time?

Depends where and how seriously I’m riding. This time of year in Santa Cruz, fire roads are pretty much bone dry and knobbies are a disadvantage. Big Apples are perfect for that, except for a few loose corners that are a little sketchy. For more involved (I hesitate to say intense…) trail riding, I throw on knobbies, especially in the winter. I’ve been doing most of my trail riding on my Marin lately, so the Big Apples haven’t been off the Stumpjumper for a while. Might throw a knobby on the front if I decide to singletrack it up or maybe get some Small Block 8’s or something similar.

I still have some Specialized/WTB RM-2 Dirt Drop bars kicking around if you are considering that route.
like these:

Mine are the 29er version, but yep. Dude came into the shop this weekend wanting to townify his old Bianchi mtb and was wondering about using such a wide tire… I let him ride the KM around the block and he was sold. Good times.

Do #2.

If it were my bike I’d do NUDLs + old Salsa riser stem, friction bar ends, a reasonably comfortable saddle I don’t mind getting scuffed up, keep the existing knobbies and bear bear bear bear bear bear the hell out if it.

I don’t see the point of duplicating the setup of your 520 or spending a lot of money on this one.

I haven’t found a good seat-clamp bolt to replace the quick-release seat clamp. I’ve bought a couple, but they were all ugly and cheap. If you come up with one, let me know. I’ve got a frame kickin’ around that will eventually host some big apples.

^HY!

my surly is gettin dem big apples or super motos. have yet to decide.

I’ve contemplated giving my old 90’s mtb the XO-1 treatment. When I has the monies, I’ll be getting them dia compe shifters, on one mungo and some non-aero levers.

There’s a girl who works somewhere in the general vicinity of the Bike Coop at UCSC who has a super duper nice XO-1 like that, all tricked out with nice shit. I’m jealous every time I see it.

[quote=Sneaky Viking]I still have some Specialized/WTB RM-2 Dirt Drop bars kicking around if you are considering that route.
like these:
[/quote]

WTH? I have a set of Specialized dirt drops too, but they’re called BB-1. They’re made by Nitto and I bought them shits from Tarckee. Strange that there was more than one type of dirt drop that was commissioned by Specialized.

[quote=crushfaygodestroy][quote=Sneaky Viking]I still have some Specialized/WTB RM-2 Dirt Drop bars kicking around if you are considering that route.
like these:
[/quote]

WTH? I have a set of Specialized dirt drops too, but they’re called BB-1. They’re made by Nitto and I bought them shits from Tarckee. Strange that there was more than one type of dirt drop that was commissioned by Specialized.[/quote]
seriously? this isn’t helping in my quest to be able to tell you two apart.

edit: sorry, i have nothing to add to this thread

[quote=crushfaygodestroy][quote=Sneaky Viking]I still have some Specialized/WTB RM-2 Dirt Drop bars kicking around if you are considering that route.
like these:
[/quote]

WTH? I have a set of Specialized dirt drops too, but they’re called BB-1. They’re made by Nitto and I bought them shits from Tarckee. Strange that there was more than one type of dirt drop that was commissioned by Specialized.[/quote]
Didn’t John Tomac ride for Specialized for awhile? Maybe he wanted them.

one is in seattle, one is in new england?

i think i read that specialized built some for new england Rolling Mountains, thus the RM series, so these might not work on your… HOLY SHIT MARKETPLACE HAS MELTED MY BRAIN