My Track Bike Century

Today was my first century ride, and I did it fixed and solo. Rode Highway 30 out to Rainer, OR and back to Portland. 6.5 hours total with 5 breaks to eat / stretch / buy more water.

I had no digestive complaints this time and I’m pretty stoked because I’ve had some problems with that in the past on long rides, and I hear the same from a lot of other roadies. I ate 3 Clif Bars, 1 PBJ and 4oz. of honey / sea salt mix in a squeeze flask. This time I brouht some digestive enzyme pills and some glucosamine and took both at the 50 mile mark in Rainier after eating and the ride back was a lot easier than the ride there. I think the road is a lot smoother on the way back is why, because going there, there was a lot of really mellow but miles long downhill stuff where I actually had to work harder to ride through because the asphalt was way rough. Heading back I was going up those same hills but finding it way easier. A few hills I took my feet out of the pedals, put them on the fork crowns and “coasted” down. Only real problem I had was taint soreness / my **** going numb and falling asleep after 65 miles onward. Really sucked and forced me to stand up and pedal a lot to relieve it.

Other than the taint going numb, I didn’t really feel limited by the track bike. It would have been nice having gears up a couple hills, but the route wasn’t particularly hilly really. I <3 Nitto bullhorns with cork tape/gel for long rides too, works out so perfectly. I guess the taint thing is either saddle angle could be better, saddle could be better or seat tube is a little steep for long distances. I’d say probably the second.

All in all a good ride. I’m stoked to have it under my belt now.

I did one on my aluminum tarckbike back on the 13th. I made a time that was lower than I expected and felt good on the bike, but as soon as I got off the bike and cooled down my arms and back got really stiff. I only scarfed 3 powerbars, but I drank two 70 oz. Camelbak-fulls of agua. The coolest thing was that everyone there was going ape that I was on a trackbike and I got a lot of positive attention.

It was cool to do it fixed, but the ride really inspired me to get a geared road bike.

I used a Camelbak as well.

my first one is coming up in exactly one month.
it wil be in 100+ texas heat.
i’m riding my tarck as well.

http://www.hh100.org/

damn!!! i did 58.4 miles the other day, and i was pretty tired.

good job…

someone should start a century velodrome race.

[quote=“thehappyrobot”]my first one is coming up in exactly one month.

http://www.hh100.org/[/quote]

fuuuuuuuuuck that.

that would be so depressingly mundane… the same scenery for 600 laps, atleast at my local track (just did the math, boredom is a funny thing).

one of the pluses of long road rides is sometimes you get lucky and find a route with great scenery. really adds to the ride and makes you feel alive. unfortunately the scenery was few and far between on today’s ride.

Doing my first century in a couple days (the 27th)
Going geared, seattle century, it should be a rad time (I hope)
Thinking about getting some miles in again tomorrow I did 60 and coped well pretty recently, so I feel confident going into Sunday, we will see how I do. Hopefully the next one will be fixed.

[quote=“tx_what_it_do”][quote=“thehappyrobot”]my first one is coming up in exactly one month.

fuuuuuuuuuck that.[/quote]
I’ve been thinking about doing this but I’m not sure i’ll be century ready by then. Either way, I wanted to go to the event.

Lots of velodromes do ten-mile scratch races. I tried to watch one, but about 1/4 of the way through, I went next door to the skatepark.

Congrats on your first fixed century. It’s something I’ve still never done.

[quote=“bonechilling”]
Congrats on your first fixed century. It’s something I’ve still never done.[/quote]

+1

[quote=“m4bandit”][quote=“tx_what_it_do”][quote=“thehappyrobot”]my first one is coming up in exactly one month.

I’ve been thinking about doing this but I’m not sure i’ll be century ready by then. Either way, I wanted to go to the event.[/quote]

im seriously considering it too.

team txtarck?

lets do it.
i’m shotting for a very modest pace.
15mph average with stops and everything.
7 hrs.

did you look at the elevation map? kinda makes me want to screw a freewheel on the flipside and run 2 brakes.

Congratulations. Good to hear that it was fun and you didn’t have any problems. One of my goals is to do a century within this year and it is always inspiring to hear from someone who did it on a similar bike like I was planning to.
About your taint issues, even on short rides if I anything doesn’t feel right, I am always busting out the allen keys and adjusting instead of dealing with it.

[quote=“room203”][quote=“m4bandit”][quote=“tx_what_it_do”]
I’ve been thinking about doing this but I’m not sure i’ll be century ready by then. Either way, I wanted to go to the event.[/quote]

team txtarck?[/quote]

i was thinking about doing that this year. by the time it rolls around though, i won’t be in good enough shape to ride it (or at least that’s my fear). i may still go, but shoot for reaching the 50 mile mark instead.

[quote=“jim”]

i was thinking about doing that this year. by the time it rolls around though, i won’t be in good enough shape to ride it (or at least that’s my fear). i may still go, but shoot for reaching the 50 mile mark instead.[/quote]

100 miles doesn’t really require that much of an effort if you just pace yourself. You’d be surprised how easy it goes if it’s relatively flat. My experience was that the real issue was just discomfort from being in the same position for that long, not any strength or stamina problems.

[quote=“koteigear”]Congratulations. Good to hear that it was fun and you didn’t have any problems. One of my goals is to do a century within this year and it is always inspiring to hear from someone who did it on a similar bike like I was planning to.
About your taint issues, even on short rides if I anything doesn’t feel right, I am always busting out the allen keys and adjusting instead of dealing with it.[/quote]

I still bring an allen key with me on every long ride, but honestly coming out of ~mile 60 over to mile 100 I was in such a good flow with my rhythm and speed that I didn’t want to stop at all, even with the taint numbness.

[quote=“room203”]

team txtarck?[/quote]

Heh, I’d be down to TxTarck but I’d be far more comfortable doing it on my geared road bike. Word on the streets is wind will make you wanna die.

[quote=“thehappyrobot”]lets do it.
i’m shotting for a very modest pace.
15mph average with stops and everything.
7 hrs.[/quote]

Will that pace get you to the gates of hell in time before they close?