Not riding like a jackass

You ever wonder if other cyclists see you riding a track bike on the street in regular clothes and automatically think you’re a jackass? If I’m not wearing gloves and a helmet I feel 10x more jackass. On saturday this couple sped past me on their hybrids and tapped their helmets. :colbert:

At least I stop for traffic lights and stop signs nowadays.

About 45% of the bikes I see around Chicago are either fixed gear or single speed being ridden by a person in normal clothes with no gloves or helmet (or foot retention or closed toe shoes), so no.
Sometimes I get funny look walking around with my helmet on after I lock up and go into a store or something, but I’d rather wear it than carry it.

Yikes. Yeah I think any of us would look responsible compared to that.

I only feel out of place when I’m in Central or Prospect Park with all the roadies. Mainly because the only people going the same pace as me are the lycra guys. On the street, most people are in regular clothes, no helmet, no gloves. I’m getting a helmet this month, though!

The other day I helped a girl put the chain back onto her crappy Myata mixte after it dropped.
She thanked me and mounted up to ride off as he began to ride away BOTH her fucking flipflops somehow fell off and she had to stop and go pick them up. It was one of the most hilarious things I’ve ever seen in my life.
She looked at me as she picked them up with this sheepish, embarassed expression and said “I’m havin a bad day.”

[quote=“Rusty Piton”]The other day I helped a girl put the chain back onto her crappy Myata mixte after it dropped.
She thanked me and mounted up to ride off as he began to ride away BOTH her fucking flipflops somehow fell off and she had to stop and go pick them up. It was one of the most hilarious things I’ve ever seen in my life.
She looked at me as she picked them up with this sheepish, embarassed expression and said “I’m havin a bad day.”[/quote]

somewhere, on flipflopsforums.net, this girl is posting in the “embarassing stories” thread about her flipflops falling off in front a boy.

I am usually wearing jean shorts and a starter type shirt (not the jersey type ones). My mtb shorts are coming today though… found a good deal on some.

Anways, no I dont feel jackass… Hell most people I encounter or see are riding on the wrong side of the street. Makes me want to ride up to them and tell them.

I’ve been wearing a helmet for several years now but I still feel kind of jackass wearing it when I’m in a t-shirt and cut-offs. I also feel a bit of an ass riding clip and strap with vans on my road bike. It would look fine if the bike were old school or jacked up, but modern equipment + clip and strap + street clothes + helmet is getting dangerously close to the “just traded up from a hybrid to a real road bike” look.

But it’s still better than walking into coffee shops and grocery stores in lycra and road shoes.

[quote=“chrism32205”]I am usually wearing jean shorts and a starter type shirt (not the jersey type ones). My mtb shorts are coming today though… found a good deal on some.

Anways, no I dont feel jackass… Hell most people I encounter or see are riding on the wrong side of the street. Makes me want to ride up to them and tell them.[/quote]

I always yell shit at idiots riding on the wrong side of the street.
That’s is the height of fucking jackassery!

If you’re getting passed by couples out joy-riding their hybrids…

They were dishing out cable-lock justice.

i feel like a possenger when i ride my bike. there’s like one other fixed rider i see alot and i feel jackass when i see him

I pretty much never wear a helmet anymore ( it’s always buried under a pile of clothes or something, out of side out of mind and all that), I only wear gloves when its cold out, I’m always riding in normal shorts or jeans, and I only stop if I have to. Totally not a jackass.

You should have flipped off those safety nanny jerks. Also, the only acceptable reason for being passed by them was if you were busy with a sick sesh, pulling fat bar spins, mid-bunny hop, from a no-handed trackstand (your hands were busy flipping off the cruiser snobs).

Yesterday was the first time in forever that I didn’t have my helmet on. There was a “smellycat” here on Saturday, and my helmet is still covered in some unidentified sticky crap that I had to dunk my head in at some point.

i feel like a jackass everytime i hop on my bike, and i wear a helmet like 50% of the time

because 80% of bikers in ym town are roadies lycra’d out, the other 19.9% are bmx/mountain bikes/cruisers… i’ve seen like 1 maybe 2 fixed gears/ss when i’m out in the last 2 months.

and when i pass them, cause i’m usually ina hurry to get to where i’m going, i wave and say good day, or 'ello chap and they never respond

I think I used to scare away the roadies when they’d ride up and talk to me when I was doing road rides in Eugene. I’d be wearing bike shorts but then have no helmet, hairy legs and no brakes. Dudes would look for a quick excuse to exit the conversation when they realized I was totally not roadied out even if I was putting in the miles.

PS The road rides were flat and solo, hence very little need for brakes.

We’re as ridiculous as the roadies in the park riding deep in the aerobars at 15 mph. I think the only solution is to bomb mad sesh behind a CVS and ditch riding.

I feel like more of a jackass when I head out in the lycra.

i feel special

I’ve never worn it myself, but I would feel pretty damn silly in the lycra.
Damn silly.