not sure what to do...

i’d post this in other threads but i’m not sure which ones, and the my $7 rob roy got deleted…
so i finally got the funds, and i’m building up the 7$ rob roy frame i got.

here’s my issue…
i got open pros laced to formula 120mm and the roy is around 132mm… (the axle fits the extra spacing)
i’m planning on getting like 4 - 2mm spaces and 2 - 1mm spacers for the wheel to have it snug… (each side will hopefully have 2-2mm spacers and 1-1mm)
however, with the cranks (sugino xd), a straight chainline seems pretty much impossible to get, (even with a super short BB spindle)…
i do not have a bottom bracket because i going to get that last so i could get the right spindle length to achieve this straight chainline.

noobish, i know, but is it even possible to get this straight chainline in a position where i can run ss/fg by easily flipping the wheel or do i have to always run it off center with spacers to get the proper chainline?
(if that even makes sense)
i can get pictures if it helps explain the problem

Perfectly straight chainlines are overrated. A mm or two won’t kill you (it has never caused any trouble with the RDs I use). Just one man’s opinion.

Run a 3/32 8 speed chain instead of a 1/8. It will be more forgiving of a slightly off chainline.

[quote=snails]i’d post this in other threads but i’m not sure which ones, and the my $7 rob roy got deleted…
so i finally got the funds, and i’m building up the 7$ rob roy frame i got.

here’s my issue…
i got open pros laced to formula 120mm and the roy is around 132mm… (the axle fits the extra spacing)
i’m planning on getting like 4 - 2mm spaces and 2 - 1mm spacers for the wheel to have it snug… (each side will hopefully have 2-2mm spacers and 1-1mm)
however, with the cranks (sugino xd), a straight chainline seems pretty much impossible to get, (even with a super short BB spindle)…
i do not have a bottom bracket because i going to get that last so i could get the right spindle length to achieve this straight chainline.

noobish, i know, but is it even possible to get this straight chainline in a position where i can run ss/fg by easily flipping the wheel or do i have to always run it off center with spacers to get the proper chainline?
(if that even makes sense)
i can get pictures if it helps explain the problem[/quote]

if you put equal amounts of spacers on each side of the hub, chainline is unaffected. i don’t think you’ll have a problem, just get a bb to match the crank/hub and don’t worry about the spacers.