NYC - what bike things (beyond actually riding a bike) are worth doing?

Going to be NYC this weekend and was wondering if there’s any shops or such worth checking out (specifically could use a new rain jacket). Tastes run to the practical side and not to the bullshit all-over print hoodie / FGFS deathstyle. Went to Trackstar on my last trip there and was underwhelmed; is Affinity worth visiting?

that bespoke exhibit is running
http://collections.madmuseum.org/code/emuseum.asp?style=browse&currentrecord=1&page=seealso&profile=exhibitions&searchdesc=Current%20Exhibitions&searchstring=Current/,/greater%20than/,/0/,/false/,/true&action=searchrequest&style=single&currentrecord=1

i’m gonna try to check that soon

is the affinity storefront open? i rode by it on a visit a few weeks ago and it was closed mid day.

affinity is pretty rad. chari is small, and lame. definitely check out the bespoke exhibit. weekly polo if that’s your thing. you can take a train out the velodrome. if you want to look at fancy ass high end shit, R&A cycles.

King Kog?

Do they still do weekly night-time fixed gear races in central park and prospect park? Getting my ass kicked in both races was the highlight of my trip when I went up there like 5 years ago. I’m pretty sure I met Ceya of BF fame.

If you thought trackstar was lame you’ll probably think the same of King Kog. Check out some of the super old school shops like Bike Works and Bicycle Habitat. I didn’t get a very warm reception when I went in, but I suppose its because these are real shops that expect you to buy something, not trendy tourist attractions like trackstar.

if you want to do bike shop tourism check out dah shop in chinatown and post in brooklyn. both are mostly bmx but have some fixed stuff.

best shop is def continuum.

[quote=Sneaky Viking]that bespoke exhibit is running
http://collections.madmuseum.org/code/emuseum.asp?style=browse&currentrecord=1&page=seealso&profile=exhibitions&searchdesc=Current%20Exhibitions&searchstring=Current/,/greater%20than/,/0/,/false/,/true&action=searchrequest&style=single&currentrecord=1

i’m gonna try to check that soon[/quote]

Yeah, I seen that, but $15 jesus fuck; I could go to MOMA for that kinda bread. I’ll see how wealthy I’m feeling when I’m up there.

Continuum… cool. That would also help with my plan to not go into Brooklyn unless there’s a good reason for it.

[quote=dmg][quote=Sneaky Viking]that bespoke exhibit is running

i’m gonna try to check that soon[/quote]

Yeah, I seen that, but $15 jesus fuck; I could go to MOMA for that kinda bread. I’ll see how wealthy I’m feeling when I’m up there.

Continuum… cool. That would also help with my plan to not go into Brooklyn unless there’s a good reason for it.[/quote]
i mean as a shop to visit, they are probably the coolest shop dudes in nyc. If you’re looking for specific shit i’m not certain they have EVERYTHING.

And Thursdays at MAD are “pay what you wish” from 6-9.

I’ve gotten good reception the few times I’ve been to Bicycle Habitat. Some of their prices are ridiculous, though.

I’ve only been to chari once and never felt compelled to return. Also expensive, and weird vibes to boot. Not very welcoming.

I’ve gotten good reception the few times I’ve been to Bicycle Habitat. Some of their prices are ridiculous, though.[/quote]

Same here. Nice staff and good selection of wares to browse…but one of the only shops I’ve been to where prices are a well above MSRP for pretty much everything.

This. Pretty small shop (but they can order almost anything and have it next day). And the guy that runs (and owns?) it is rad.

i’d say cbgbs or maybe a $5 times square BJ
but the city sure aint what it used be
guggenheim and the natural history museum probs

chari might be weird, but they have some sweet stuff, and will give you your NJS FIX BRO!!!

hey you guys know that i’m the manager of a shop in nyc, right? that’s cool and worth doing, right? i’m late to this thread, though, BUT FUTURE REFERENCE IS NEVER LATE.

Yeah, I went to Continuum and BikeWorks, and I thought both of them were kind of tiny and pricey considering what I’m used to locally. The Continuum lugged frames look pretty awesome in person, though. Had an awesome time there independent of any bikey stuff, so definitely an overall W.

I’m in NYC for the summer so plenty of time to do fun bike stuff, including riding bike.

Anyway that bespoke exhibit at MAD is up until August so I guess I’ll hit that up sometime. I told myself I would never step foot into that museum after what they did to the Stone building in Columbus circle, but I mean exhibit about bikes is about bikes so I might have to.

Also wheels need to be trued and I’ve heard good things about Dah Shop so I’ll be stopping by within the next few days. Does anyone know if they’ll be able to do it while I wait?

This and the rest of this thread = Relevant to my intrests.

I’ll be hitting you up in a few weeks, Grant. Come hang at Rapha!

there’s a drag queen x critical mass colabo going on this weekend i hear. gay pride weekend’s drag parade or something. if i had some harder drugs, i’d think about doing it.