OK, I'm done with SPDs.

Pulled out of an SPD in a sprint on my road bike a couple of days ago, and that was the final straw. Didn’t go down, somehow but came very close to smacking my whole face into my stem. I’ve pulled out a couple of times before, but that was usually due to twisting my foot weirdly in skids. I’ve been dissatisfied with them for a while now. They just have too much float, severe hotspots after 10 miles or so, gobs of front to back play and now it seems like they just release too easily for me to be comfortable using them.

Looking for two different things:

I currently have Sidi Bullet shoes that are fine. I would like to keep them and use a different MTB pedal system for day to day purposes and mountain biking. I need something that will let me dial out most (or all) of the float, will not release when I don’t want it to and is reasonably easy to get into and out of. Low-profile cleats would also be ideal.

I’m also looking into getting a pair of road pedals and picking up a pair of the Northwave road shoes that periodically appear on Chainlove. I would use these for longer rides on my road bike (hotspots are a bitch) and, if I ever get to Hellyer (keep trying, but then other people keep stepping in and sucking up all of my Saturday mornings and Monday evenings). I was thinking Look Keo for the pedals. Should I be thinking of something else?

As far as road pedals go. I think Look Keos( I use the Sprints) are rad. Try 'em out!

I went from SPDs to Time ATACs about a month ago and wonder what took me so long.

ATACs are the best pedal I have ever ridden.

For pure road I would do Look Keos, but if you want a cleat that would also work for fixed riding/mtb go with ATACs

Try on Northwave shoes before you buy them, they are very large in the heel area.

AFAIK only road pedals have less float and lock you in more stiffly than SPD.

ye3ah std’s do suck.

What kind of SPD pedals are you guys running and how destroyed are your cleats?

SPD’s are all I run and I use the cheap ass Wellgo pedals that come stock on every Bianchi. I never pull out and I ride the living shit out of those things.

everyone loves Time ATAC’s, you will too.

Time ATAC’s: preferable to Time RSX’s for fixed gear riding? Why/why not?

I’m sure I would, and I intend on getting a set at some point just to try them out.

But I constantly hear people shitting their pants about how horrible their SPD’s are before they even get a chance to try anything else. I use the cheapest modern SPD pedals out there and I haven’t ever had a failure. Are you guys buying old 10 year old pedals out of the junk bin for 5 bucks and then complaining when then spring is worn out?

Go with SPD-SL of Look Keo. They are both excellent and a good value.

105 SPD-SL: http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=NP07516
Look Keo Classic: http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A8059

Both under $60 shipped and great pedals if you want to go road. I like SPDs, by the way. Times are nice but both require that you keep an eye on your cleats for wear.

What about eggbeaters?

I love my eggbeaters.

I use eggbeaters on most of my bikes where getting off and walking is going to be an issue. They are great and I have no complaints. Same thing applies as with SPD and ATAC; watch your cleats for wear. The OP wanted adjustable float, though. Crankbrothers doesn’t really do that (well except the cleat swap thing).

Good point, sounds like OP doesn’t want any float. I guess no on the eggbeaters.

I’m sure I would, and I intend on getting a set at some point just to try them out.

But I constantly hear people shitting their pants about how horrible their SPD’s are before they even get a chance to try anything else. I use the cheapest modern SPD pedals out there and I haven’t ever had a failure. Are you guys buying old 10 year old pedals out of the junk bin for 5 bucks and then complaining when then spring is worn out?[/quote]
Well, see, I’ve pulled out of my shitty, used SPD pedals many, many times. I generally just accepted that that was what I got for skimping and paying $5 for pedals. I bought some new SPD pedals (Shimano SPD-M520, I think) and I still pull out in skids and, as I said earlier, once during a sprint. I don’t skid much, and when I do, it’s really usually because I want to, not because I need to, so if I were just at risk during skids, I wouldn’t freak out. However, if I can give the pedal enough upward force to release the cleat in a fairly mild sprint out of a red light, then I’m concerned. A friend wants them, and I might just give them to him in exchange for some unnamed part in the future.

Everybody does seem to love the Time ATAC pedals, and I might check them out. Are the basic ATAC Alium pedals the ones that everyone seems so happy with, or are people loving one of the higher-end models?

Also, regarding float: I’m not completely against it. I recognize that I’m asking for mtb pedals and that float is part of the game there. My real problem was just that I found that the more float I gave myself on the SPDs, the more easily I pulled out of them, and that’s no good. If the float doesn’t result in the pedals having an insecure connection to the cleats, then I wouldn’t have a problem with a bit of it.

Has anyone had any luck with or know anything about Look Quartz MTB pedals? I’m also curious about eggbeaters, bearing in mind what I just said about float.

As for road pedals, I just discovered the Time RXS, which look badass, and some people seem to really like them (based on a quick Google search). Does anyone here have any experience with them? I can get them for $40 more than the Look Keo Classics. Worth it?

With SPD’s, the more float the easier it is to release. They are contingent on the same mechanism. I think.

With eggbeaters the float is separate from the ease of release. They have two possible release angles depending on how you set up the cleats, I think it’s 15 or 20 degrees. The ease of release is constant. It holds well enough for me, ymmv.

I’ve only used spd’s and eggbeaters. I had the EB first. My SPD’s were the M324’s with a platform on one side and the clip on the other. I hated the way the clip mechanism worked on these compared to the EB’s. Either the cleat had too much vertical play or it was difficult to get out of. Got rid of them, and I don’t really use clipless much anymore but when I do it’s the egg’s and I love them.

nope. that’s spring tension. the easier it is to clip in, the easier it is to clip out, same mechanism. and if you are pulling up really hard on the pedal, its pretty easy to overcome the spring tension and pull out.

i believe float is fixed on low-end spds at 6deg. i also think you can by shimano cleats that increase float and/or have more release points.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks