Old-assed bike etiquette

Is it bad form to buy a late 80s Panasonic road bike (Tange #1, Shimano 600 EX, but non original seat and post) that doesn’t fit you, strip the components and flip the frame on craigslist? Would the vintage bicycle gods smite me?

edit: it’s to go on a marinoni: canadian made but columbus, ital threaded bb shell and the builder is originally from italy… i would think a smiting would be in order but I’m not sure.

tarck bear accepts this behavior. :bear:

sounds reasonable to me… hopefully someone who the frame will fit will get their grubby hands on it and give thanks.

It’s totally ok, you need the group, you do whatever you want.

edit: actually, i have a tange bike with a 600 group. I’ll trade you the group for a formula fixed rear wheel and new chain.

i’ve a battaglin that i’m thinking to do the same thing with. just too damn small so i barely ride it anymore. not entirely my fault either as the seller advertised it at a larger size than what it turned out to be.

go for it.

man, i really want exactly a bike like that. 80’s japanese steel with some indexed shimano or friction superbe. ugh.

what size?

how about a 55-56 Kotter Albuch 1990 Tretubi? indexed (although I run it friction) old, jacked up shimano 600.

600 stuff is so good for the money. I would love an early 90’s road bike with indexed downtube shifters and the whole group. Mmm…SLR single pivots.

^ agreed on the 600. my 90s 600 cranks are pretty.

to the OP, i too think that would be an ok move.

ALSO, since we’re on the subject - think it would be a faux pas to stick a vintage repro Schwinn headbadge on my centurion conversion?

i mean, schwinn (god rest its soul) slapped their name on stuff made by panasonic, giant, and who knows what else. im pretty sure that bikes branded “centurion” brought in by western states industries didnt always come from the same place either.

my thinking is this: if you have a blank frame and have no idea what it is, or if its a low-end frame that you know was made by some large factory that made frames for a lot of different brands, and you strip it down and build it up with different parts, you can call it whatever you want.

make your own headbadge.

that’s in the works actually…so i can put something on bikes i build for other people.

i just dont know how im actually going to make it yet. diecut vinyl would be lame but im not about to spend money on having something cnc’d or custom made out of metal. i guesssssssss i could get a piece of sheet metal and dremel it though.

600 is good shit and worth the money. i see nothing wrong with flipping the frame and keeping the groupset. do it.

[quote=“room203”]that’s in the works actually…so i can put something on bikes i build for other people.

i just dont know how im actually going to make it yet. diecut vinyl would be lame but im not about to spend money on having something cnc’d or custom made out of metal. i guesssssssss i could get a piece of sheet metal and dremel it though.[/quote]
lemme know what you come up with. i’ve been considering epooxying an old kiwi shoe polish top onto my tube. classy.

[quote=“mander”]Is it bad form to buy a late 80s Panasonic road bike (Tange #1, Shimano 600 EX, but non original seat and post) that doesn’t fit you, strip the components and flip the frame on craigslist? Would the vintage bicycle gods smite me?

edit: it’s to go on a marinoni: canadian made but columbus, ital threaded bb shell and the builder is originally from italy… i would think a smiting would be in order but I’m not sure.[/quote]

You want to transfer parts from a Japanese frame to an Italian threaded frame/fork?

People part out bikes all the time. Many classics were upgraded by users anyway, so they are rarely stock (maybe “period”).

noob alert. what does indexed and friction mean?

Indexed shifters have “clicks” for each gear. A friction shifter is smooth throughout its range.

Thanks for the go-ahead, gang… if today’s cash offers are accepted I’ll do it.

[quote=“tarckeemoon”][quote=“mander”]Is it bad form to buy a late 80s Panasonic road bike (Tange #1, Shimano 600 EX, but non original seat and post) that doesn’t fit you, strip the components and flip the frame on craigslist? Would the vintage bicycle gods smite me?

edit: it’s to go on a marinoni: canadian made but columbus, ital threaded bb shell and the builder is originally from italy… i would think a smiting would be in order but I’m not sure.[/quote]

You want to transfer parts from a Japanese frame to an Italian threaded frame/fork?[/quote]

I’d just throw a shimano UN italian threaded bb in there to make the cranks work. If the headset doesn’t fit for some reason, the frame already has an old steel campy one installed.

Get some Colnago decals, then