Online spoke length calcs/databases +Ultegra 6600 dimensions

Sup tarckbike,

I’m about to build some Ultegra 6600 hubs into a wheel, and I’m trying to find their dimensions to calculate spoke length. Shimano’s techdocs section is no help; nor is the dt swiss database in their online spoke calc program; nor is Sheldon’s excel spreadsheet. I might just break down and measure them myself with vernier calipers, but I’m an idiot and will probably fuck something up. DOes anyone know the correct measurements for these hubs? Even better would be if you knew an online spoke length calculator that has a complete and up to date database of rim and hub sizes.

Last time I was building, I couldn’t find an up-to-date/ comprehensive calculator.

I ended up measuring myself, by putting a sheet of paper over the hub flange (with a hole for the axle) and making dots through the opposing hub flange holes. Then measured with a measuring tape (cm/mm). My total calculations ended up about 1mm long. After reading through some online stuff, I saw someone said you should maybe shave 1mm opff your calculations, generally, because it’s better to have a little short than a little long.

This was for the IRO low flange hubs, which I couldn’t find any specs for.

Go to your LBS. They’ll measure for free if you’re buying spokes.

Use the calipers. It’s not rocket surgery.

[quote=“snarcky varcking”]Last time I was building, I couldn’t find an up-to-date/ comprehensive calculator.

I ended up measuring myself, by putting a sheet of paper over the hub flange (with a hole for the axle) and making dots through the opposing hub flange holes. Then measured with a measuring tape (cm/mm). My total calculations ended up about 1mm long. After reading through some online stuff, I saw someone said you should maybe shave 1mm opff your calculations, generally, because it’s better to have a little short than a little long.

This was for the IRO low flange hubs, which I couldn’t find any specs for.[/quote]
Crud. My measurements for the rear spokes on a Milwuakee Bicycle Co. hub and DA28 came up as 257.5 and I figured I should round up…

You’ll more than likely be fine unless you miscalculated as well.
There is a fair bit of leeway with spokes on modern dbl wall rims. If the end of the spoke sticks out through the nipple, it still doesn’t puncture the tube.
Spokes are usually made in 2mm increments to begin with so 257 probably doesn’t even exist.

[quote=“lofarkas”]You’ll more than likely be fine unless you miscalculated as well.
There is a fair bit of leeway with spokes on modern dbl wall rims. If the end of the spoke sticks out through the nipple, it still doesn’t puncture the tube.
Spokes are usually made in 2mm increments to begin with so 257 probably doesn’t even exist.[/quote]
Come to think of it, you’re right. Considering that it’s has a little bit deeper wall than say a box rim, it should be fine. I actually use SpokeCalc spreadsheets off of Sheldon’s site. Milwuakee provides the dimensions you need and Alex rims has them posted on their site as well.

[quote=“m4bandit”][quote=“snarcky varcking”]Last time I was building, I couldn’t find an up-to-date/ comprehensive calculator.

This was for the IRO low flange hubs, which I couldn’t find any specs for.[/quote]
Crud. My measurements for the rear spokes on a Milwuakee Bicycle Co. hub and DA28 came up as 257.5 and I figured I should round up…[/quote]

How did rounding up work out for you?

All I’m saying is, I should have rounded down.

Edit: This guy says to round down:

http://www.geocities.com/spokeanwheel/lacingsl.htm

[quote=“mander”]Sup tarckbike,

I’m about to build some Ultegra 6600 hubs into a wheel, and I’m trying to find their dimensions to calculate spoke length. Shimano’s techdocs section is no help; nor is the dt swiss database in their online spoke calc program; nor is Sheldon’s excel spreadsheet. I might just break down and measure them myself with vernier calipers, but I’m an idiot and will probably fuck something up. DOes anyone know the correct measurements for these hubs? Even better would be if you knew an online spoke length calculator that has a complete and up to date database of rim and hub sizes.[/quote]
This is what a is could get from the Shimano site: Verify these with whoever you’re buying spokes from?

Front:
Spoke hole circle: (flange, I guess)
38mm
Center to Flange
Right & Left:
35.8mm

Rear:
Spoke hole circle (My guess is flange size)
45mm
Center to Flange
Right: 20.8mm
Left: 38.4mm

[quote=“snarcky varcking”][quote=“m4bandit”][quote=“snarcky varcking”]Last time I was building, I couldn’t find an up-to-date/ comprehensive calculator.

Crud. My measurements for the rear spokes on a Milwuakee Bicycle Co. hub and DA28 came up as 257.5 and I figured I should round up…[/quote]

How did rounding up work out for you?

All I’m saying is, I should have rounded down.

Edit: This guy says to round down:

http://www.geocities.com/spokeanwheel/lacingsl.htm[/quote]

Hasn’t yet. I made the mistake of ordering rims from ebikestop.com AGAIN and it’s been more than a week and they haven’t shipped. This was the same problem I had with them last time but figured maybe it was a one time thing. Nope, they just suck.

[quote=“m4bandit”][quote=“mander”]Sup tarckbike,

I’m about to build some Ultegra 6600 hubs into a wheel, and I’m trying to find their dimensions to calculate spoke length. Shimano’s techdocs section is no help; nor is the dt swiss database in their online spoke calc program; nor is Sheldon’s excel spreadsheet. I might just break down and measure them myself with vernier calipers, but I’m an idiot and will probably fuck something up. DOes anyone know the correct measurements for these hubs? Even better would be if you knew an online spoke length calculator that has a complete and up to date database of rim and hub sizes.[/quote]
This is what a is could get from the Shimano site: Verify these with whoever you’re buying spokes from?

Front:
Spoke hole circle: (flange, I guess)
38mm
Center to Flange
Right & Left:
35.8mm

Rear:
Spoke hole circle (My guess is flange size)
45mm
Center to Flange
Right: 20.8mm
Left: 38.4mm[/quote]

I just measured and my numbers are off. I can see those are probably right though, thanks m4. This isn’t actually that complex, i was just being a chicken. It looks like i measured to the inside of the flange and you’re supposed to go to the center. IM LERNIGG!!!

Edit: For future tarckists reference, I did a search on your text and found this data on the Shimano Australia site. I couldn’t find it on the shimano europe or north america sites, but maybe I just didn’t look hard enough.

http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/conte ... _road.html

Double Edit: I was wrong; the hub size data data is actually on each of shimano’s country-specific pages. What confused me is, they put it in the "“Product” section that contains basic writeups of the hubs, and not in the “Tech Docs” section where you get exploded views and part numbers. I was looking in the wrong place, on the assumption that hub measurements are pretty techy.

No problem. I’m building my first set of wheels too and I was really nervous when it came to calculations. I’m still nervous that something is wrong and the stuff i ordered isn’t going to be what I need. At $1 a spoke, it’s not a fun set of mistakes.

Keep us posted on your progress.

[quote=“lofarkas”]You’ll more than likely be fine unless you miscalculated as well.
Spokes are usually made in 2mm increments to begin with so 257 probably doesn’t even exist.[/quote]

Yeah, but you’ll of course run out of thread and won’t be able to tighten them properly if they’re too long. I tend to go for 2mm too short rather than 2mm too long. Haven’t had a problem with wheels that show a couple of spoke threads outside the nipple. Perfect length is of course… well, perfect.

Word.
If the spokes do end up being the wrong length, you can take them back and raise a stink. Most internet places will not accept returns on spokes for any reason.
While saving money is cool, Spokes are something I’ll pay extra to make sure they are the right length.

Here are the numbers from the QBP catalog for the Ultegra FH/HB-6600:

rear:

NDS Center-to-flange: 36.5mm
DS C-F: 19mm
NDS Flange Diameter: 45.0mm
DS Flange Diamater: 45.0mm

front:

NDS Center-to-flange: 34.0mm
DS C-F: 34.0mm
NDS Flange Diameter: 38.0mm
DS Flange Diamater: 38.0mm

Thanks DFL. That’s so weird though! Those numbers are way different from the ones on Shimano’s site. I measured my hubs carefully though (now that i know how) and they are correct. I will plug them into spokecalc and get spokes tomorrow.