Pedestrian behaviour - international comparison

One time in NYC I took a turn a little too close and headbutted some girl. Still can’t quite figure out how it was that my head that hit her and nothing else

hahaha, BAM BITCH!!!

I usually don’t have to deal with too many completely oblivious pedestrians, but the route from my house to work takes me along the 10th Ave bridge in Minneapolis, which runs parallel to the 35W bridge rebuild going on and has a very narrow, two way bike lane and pedestrian lane right next to eachother (bad idea). Sometimes it’s not too bad, sometimes it’s absolutely packed with people gawking at this big, boring structure under construction, and on one of my trips last week only about four people were on it total, two of whom were walking side by side, one almost completely taking up the bike lane. They were facing me, so I figured they’d see me like most folk would, but as I approached, I realized I’d have to do more than just pedal to be noticed. So I started just loudly shouting “EXCUSE ME!” repeatedly, to no avail. I was able to squeeze through, then after I passed, the lady in the bike lane yelled something like, “And a good day to you, too!” It was hilarious, in a sad kinda way.

I was laughing for two minutes at the mental image of this. Once I find out where the fuck Nitro managed to hide the sig menu, I’ll put it in my sig.

Budapest… dunno, mostly uneventful. I just presume that cars do not see me and all the cab and bus drivers want my blood. This way I stay alive and I’m pleasantly surprised every day.

Pedestrians… they are so goddamn unpredictable. A couple of times I have had the lethal forward-and-back dance the op mentioned but most of the time people just go on their merry way when they see me - or freeze. Either of the two is fine by me but every once in a while somebody does something totally dumb and unforeseen like turn 90° with zero sign or warning.

When peds cross a street in the red, they don’t seem to factor me in. They see no cars coming so they walk like they are on picturesque forest path or something. I guess they’re not expecting a bike to come at them @ close to 20mph. I make a point of not slowing down or avoiding them. If you’re crossing on the red, fine, but get the fuck out of my way!

User Control Panel > Profile > Edit Signature.

I’m also fairly positive that the reason the tourists written about above, as well the college kids in my town can’t do the whole aware pedestrian thing worth a damn is because they originally come from the suburbs.[/quote]

I think this is a good observation, or they are just dumb asses

Peds here in Clifton aren’t too bad. Generally they are pretty courteous and get out of your way, or they apologize for being in the way. Drivers are an entirely different story, though. On larger roads/roads that are downhill, drivers really like to go a lot faster than the speed limit and generally will ride your ass, lay on the horn, or even try to run you off the road. Drivers here are the most aggressive in the morning and at rush hour (of course), but they also are very aggressive at random times throughout the day. Most of them do not realize that bicyclists have the same rights as cars, and their general attitude is: “GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY BEFORE I RUN YOUR ASS INTO THE PAVEMENT!”

Biking on campus can be somewhat sketchy at certain times of the day because there are no cars allowed, so peds aren’t expecting somebody to be flying down a hill at 25+. Also, they have their iPods on a lot, and sometimes they are just downright bitches about moving 2 or 3 feet.

Nobody walks in Atlanta :colbert:

Except to their car.

Yeah, what are these pedes. . . pedestrians you speak of? The only people I encounter are joggers running in the bike lane in the wrong direction.

if you mean pedestrians you mean either large SUVs or prius’ well they always stop… as i hope they do