PHL cyclists: beware of most epic failure

yeah, i was going to say i lock to these all the time. glad seattle supersized their order.

i hate these so much. how in the hell were these the default bike rack for so long?!

or the inverted U racks that are meant for multiple bikes but it just becomes a giant clusterfuck when more than one bike is locked up. These are the only racks we have on my campus and it’s mind blowing.

Best style of rack atmo.

There probably aren’t enough of them. Also, college campuses and bicycle locking jackassery go together like peanut butter and jelly. It’s not the rack’s fault people are stupid.

I CAN HAZ WELDER?

Best style of rack atmo.

There probably aren’t enough of them. Also, college campuses and bicycle locking jackassery go together like peanut butter and jelly. It’s not the rack’s fault people are stupid.[/quote]
No doubt that the inverted U is the best rack, but if they added another just 5 or 6 inches between the U’s it would make the rack twice as functional.

http://www.parkitbikeracks.com/products/Bike-Parking-Racks/Park-It-Galvanized-Bike-Racks.cfm

these are the kind we have. They ALMOST got it perfect.

These are the racks Philly has at their Zoo.

These popped up in my city a while ago. I’m not sure if they welded them on but I never felt that they were very secure and I’ll definitely avoid them after seeing this. Leaving the horizontal bar that the meters connect to would have been a much better solution in my mind.

http://www.creativemetalworksllc.com/Pages/custom_all.html

Went to this place’s website… seen lots of their “creative” bike racks around portland.

Product text from their website re: the circle design for converted meters:
“Theft-proof hardware included.”

Here’s ‘bike community’ response to the blogosphere attack on their racks:

“But are these racks really so flimsy? Past and present performance says no. The racks have been used successfully since 2005 in Seattle, a city that experiences a lot bike theft (Seattle was rated by Kryptonite in 2007 as the 8th worst city for bike theft.) Seattle helped develop the standards with Creative Metalworks, the same manufacturer supplying the bike circle conversion"kits” to Philadelphia Parking Authority. And while the video is provocative, there is no evidence of widespread tampering of the racks and we have not heard of any theft that involved the destruction of a parking meter bike rack. The circle racks on the street are full of locked bikes. It’s important to remember that any bike rack can be vandalized; in fact, the inverted U-racks are only secured with threaded bolts, which can be unscrewed by someone determined enough with the right equipment. The circle racks are definitely safer than locking your bike on a street sign, as this video attests."

*That video is fucking absurd.

[quote=Straws]http://www.parkitbikeracks.com/products/Bike-Parking-Racks/Park-It-Galvanized-Bike-Racks.cfm

these are the kind we have. They ALMOST got it perfect.[/quote]

That style? Are you kidding? Those wavy things suck ass.

This is the correct style of bike rack.

[quote=3rik]Product text from their website re: the circle design for converted meters:
“Theft-proof hardware included.”

Here’s ‘bike community’ response to the blogosphere attack on their racks:

“But are these racks really so flimsy? Past and present performance says no. The racks have been used successfully since 2005 in Seattle, a city that experiences a lot bike theft (Seattle was rated by Kryptonite in 2007 as the 8th worst city for bike theft.) Seattle helped develop the standards with Creative Metalworks, the same manufacturer supplying the bike circle conversion"kits” to Philadelphia Parking Authority. And while the video is provocative, there is no evidence of widespread tampering of the racks and we have not heard of any theft that involved the destruction of a parking meter bike rack. The circle racks on the street are full of locked bikes. It’s important to remember that any bike rack can be vandalized; in fact, the inverted U-racks are only secured with threaded bolts, which can be unscrewed by someone determined enough with the right equipment. The circle racks are definitely safer than locking your bike on a street sign, as this video attests."

*That video is fucking absurd.[/quote]

I’m confused as to how they can possibly say that these racks are more secure than a street sign? Obviously some dude just lifted the stuff off the rack and it was waist high, the street sign dude needed a ladder? At least for the street sign you need a ladder!

Classic case of fucking government double talk. Instead of whining about how great your fucking horrible idea is, just shut the fuck up and fix it.

If my bike got stolen and it was demonstratable that the rack was at fault, I would sue the shit out of whoever was in charge of that rack. Especially now that they’ve said all this tripe.

[quote=redyourmoon][quote=Straws]http://www.parkitbikeracks.com/products/Bike-Parking-Racks/Park-It-Galvanized-Bike-Racks.cfm

these are the kind we have. They ALMOST got it perfect.[/quote]

That style? Are you kidding? Those wavy things suck ass.

This is the correct style of bike rack.

[/quote]

^this

these racks provide security for the bike, and for the shorter folks, they don’t have to have their bikes lifted off the ground (not that this is a big deal in my eyes).

my buddy Kevin’s GF is pretty short and they just moved to Chicago when I was there. She was complaining that all the bike racks were to tall.

Actually, this is the best:

My city installed a bunch of these over the last year or two. So convenient to use.

Man, and I thought University of Houston racks sucked.
Ours are secure, they just suck.

Two concrete blocks with a 3 or 4in diameter pole between them at ~head tube height on a road bike.
Mountain bikes and BMX throw the front wheel over, and lock around the downtube.

Not enough space there for a roadie… especially track bike without having the front tire turned. Basically it just mauls the fork crown/downtube. Also, any bike just flops over cause only the rear is on the ground. NO ONE locks up horizontally next to the pole… which is the only way I’d consider it.

I tend to just lock to random poles or railings around campus instead.