polished rims

I hope you guys don’t mind me posing this question. But a few of you guys have shown interest in me doing a polished rim for awhile now.
Here is the question.
Do you guys want

1. A high polished rim with no bright anodize but it will go misty in about a year.
  2. A high polished rim with clear anodizing, it looks a bit more dull from the start, but it doesn’t get misty over time.

Essentially the first option is the brightest, but loses the luster after time, the second isn’t so bright, but stays that way for much longer.

wheels that stay nice. although im not against hitting a rim with some metal polish ever 6 months or so.

how much r teh rims? i really want a polished wheel on the back of the motomess. group buy? haha

Yeah, can the high polish rim be brought back with just some metal polish? If so, i think that would be the way to go.

Can you make them out of steel and then chrome them?

…boneless…you can chrome aluminum as long as you have a layer of copper.

wouldnt steel be heavier?

and wouldnt chrome bring the price up?

i like the look of polished vs. chrome. Polished has a deeper look to it where chrome just sits on top.

i vote for the anodizing unless u want to include a disclaimer that they will go misty. I am fan of a more subtle polished look anyway.

I was mostly joking about the chrome. Isn’t it heavy as shit anyways?

Are you familiar with Work wheels? They’re based out of Japan and use some anodizing technique that gives the appearance of being high polished without being cleared.

Yes totally heavy. But kids want heavy rims these days. They think light is bad. :bear:

and steel rims are WAYYY heavy. Lots of cheapo bikes here (20 dollar bicycles) are made with steel rims. The process of making steel rims is really cool tho, cuz the steel doesn’t even come into the rounding machines as a profile (they are single walled), it starts as a spool and the rims are made nonstop till the spool of steel is gone.

Kids these days are stupid. Or I’m too old.

Anyhow, I got two pairs of ‘high polished’ rigida dp18 rims, how do I know if they’re anodized or not? They’re pretty damn shiny, being still almost new.

I have some high polish deep section rims and they seem to need cleaning up a lot.
Looks sex though.

After getting one of my rims de-ano’d / high polished I can say… they get misty as fuck when strangers are always oogling your ballin’ ass wheels and put their fingerprints all over them. A clean rag and Simple Green doesn’t do the trick either…gotta polish them back up if you want that original shine. Also, rain riding gets them misty fast.

My vote: clear andodize them bitches. Anyone with some lye, polishing compound and elbow grease can take whatever rim they have and turn it into a mirror… getting the clear anodization over that take a bit more $$$ though.

exactly.

The last thing u want would be people to start talking about how their H+ rims got foggy. It’ll be bigger than the “woo woo” that sp0ks make and the breakless “zen” people speak of.

anodize pls. People will instead speak of how their H+ still looks great after abuse.

[quote=antcave]exactly.

The last thing u want would be people to start talking about how their H+ rims got foggy. It’ll be bigger than the “woo woo” that sp0ks make and the breakless “zen” people speak of.

anodize pls. People will instead speak of how their H+ still looks great after abuse.[/quote]

This. Plus, I don’t think one can really tell the difference between high-polish/no-ano and high-polish/clear-ano.

[quote=halbritt][quote=antcave]exactly.

anodize pls. People will instead speak of how their H+ still looks great after abuse.[/quote]

This. Plus, I don’t think one can really tell the difference between high-polish/no-ano and high-polish/clear-ano.[/quote]

Dood, i have samples of each and you totally can tell, which is what is making this decision so hard. But I have a third option that i’m making a sample for on Monday. Cross my fingers, hope it works!

Same polishing process for either sample? I’ve not really done a side-by-side comparison. If I ever got off my ass and got an anodizing line going, I could do that. Speaking of other options, there’s also clear powder to consider. Selling non-anodized aluminum bits to the general public sounds like a bad proposition to me in terms of having to deal with customer complaints.

I saw your polished rims at Jordan Hufnagel’s shop. I have mixed feelings about them.

one the one hand those are some shiny ass rims

on the other hand it’s almost TOO much shiny ass rim, it’s a round wall of mirror with some spokes.