Post your more epic-type rides

Now I ride about that same distance if I add up all my miles for a week. I need to get bad ass again.

~106 mile race w/ 3 decent climbs and then 1 ~7mi climb at the end…
…that was after doing the 3 previous stages…

I’d never seen that map your ride page before. It’s very cool. I need to calculate my calorie burn for the bar rides.

Mapmyride.com is fucking cool. It’s based off of Google Maps, which, for some reason, has very detailed information from Thailand but none of he surrounding countries.

This morning I rode this up to the top of Doi Pui

The road went from well paved and three lanes (two going up) for the first 11km, to two lanes for the next 4km and then to one lane that was paved probably 15 years ago and has dissolved into pea-sized rocks and pot holes for the final 4km.

I got some pics with my phone:

Looking over the city from 700m up. I don’t know why this one turned out so small.

The switchback that starts the bump up to about 9% average at 10.5km. It’s about 20% at the steepest part.

This is what the road looked like for the last 4km. The temp was about 65, probably 20 deg cooler than at the base.

This was the only place I got off my bike on the way up. It was a steep switchback covered in dirt and pea gravel. I never would have made it up on 23’s.

I ran into two other riders near the top at a “view point”. Being 1,300m above the valley sometimes has detrimental effects on the scenery.

This was the same place, looking down through the clouds on a mountain village about 400m below us. The white crap on my hoods was from the logo on a cheap water bottle that I was using.

I think my most epic ride happened sometime towards the end of last spring. I was on the front porch having a beer (about 5 deep at this point) when a few of my friends rode by. I flagged them down and it turned out they were just starting a 65 mile round trip ride to a nearby lake that they’d been planning for a few weeks. I ended up hastily grabbing my bike and joining up, wearing dickies cutoffs and without gloves or hydration. We made it to the lake just fine and I was feeling alright, but in the rolling hills on country roads on the way back riding fixed at 68 GI ran me into the wall harder than I’d ever hit it before - constantly cilmbing then spinning out trying to keep up on the downhills just killed me. Also, my wrists and taint were killing me by the end. We eventually made it back and I fell asleep on the front lawn for a few hours after downing 5 glasses of water. Woke up to the neighbors hanging out on their porch giving me funny looks and then finished the 12 pack.

Nice.

I had a feeling that several of the “epic” stories would really be otherwise normal rides which incorporated alcohol and poor decision making abilities. Seems to be common in this scene.

[quote=“TimArchy”]Nice.

I had a feeling that several of the “epic” stories would really be otherwise normal rides which incorporated alcohol and poor decision making abilities. Seems to be common in this scene.[/quote]

Fuckin’ kids!

Most epic ride was Philadelphia to Breezewood, PA as part of the annual Crush the Commonwealth ride - 18 hours, 210 miles, fixed, in constant drizzle. Unfortunately everyone I was riding with was on geared bikes, and my attempts to keep up with their pace and the cold/wet left me barely able to ride the next day, and had to bail with 100 miles left to get home. Still managed to break my one-day record by 50 miles, though.

This thread would be more fun if ya’ll would show the routes.

Did this this morning, it was nice cause there was hardly any traffic out.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-st ... 5368323322

Probably the longest ride ive done this year, kinda pathetic, but ive gone through alot of different bikes this year and this is the first time ive had something im really comfortable on. Longest ive ridden fixed, 3 hours non stop pedaling just cruising with no destination, It was really enjoyable because nobody was out.

It felt longer than it was because its been so long since ive been on a long ride and im out of shape.

Not to long and not hilly but i think its one of the best rides in the city of chicago. And the directions could not be easier.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/il/ch ... 8105379478

What is “french Canadia”?

winter tire thread

[quote=“edw”]Not to long and not hilly but i think its one of the best rides in the city of chicago. And the directions could not be easier.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/il/ch ... 8105379478[/quote]

Looks like two good checkpoints for prom’s alleycat.

[quote=“zombie”][quote=“edw”]Not to long and not hilly but i think its one of the best rides in the city of chicago. And the directions could not be easier.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/il/ch ... 8105379478[/quote]

Looks like two good checkpoints for prom’s alleycat.[/quote]

posers :colbert:

My plan to ride the 90km loop around the mountain during my break didn’t pan out. I got my friend to drive me around and I noted distances for the starts and finishes of all the climbs. Then I went out on thursday to just ride the 1st 30km of it. It would take me over the first hills and nearly to the bottom of the longest climb. It totally kicked my ass. What I discovered is that although it looks like a lower gradient than when I have been riding, it’s actually not a consistent climb. It’s really a lot of shorter, steeper climbs with flat areas in between. Basically hopping from valley to valley instead of going straight over a pass.

I got up this morning determined, not to ride the whole thing, but to make it to the first major pass 38km in. I wore both my jerseys with my new long sleeve one on top. I’m really glad I did because although it was in the upper 70’s in the city, it was in the low 60’s at the peak. When I left the house at 9am, the peaks were still shrouded in clouds so I was preparing for a cold and humid summit. The first 15km is flat 4 lane divided highway. That stretch is never fun and drivers here have no respect for anyone smaller than themselves. If they give you more than 2 feet when they pass at 50mph, they are being very considerate. Then it rolls a bit for about 4km. after that, it is a series of ever longer climbs separated by short flat sections or valleys. It goes by some elephant camps (for tourists) so I had to padd one or two elephants on the road. I gave them a wide berth, though if the motorbikes whizzing past didn’t spook them, I’m sure I wasn’t going to. I carried two bottles which I made myself drink. I’m not so good at making sure I stay hydrated. The powerbar gels which I brought to eat were terrible. I made it to my turn around point and felt like I really had enough in me to continue all the way around (my out and back, at 75km, was only going to be about 20km shorter than the full loop), but I decided to play it safe and leave it for another day.

On my way down I ran into a group of thai guys who had ridden the loop in the opposite direction. They didn’t bring food, so I have them my oatmeal bar. I’m pretty sure they thought it was terrible, but they were very gracious about it. As I was getting close to the city, I rode with a guy from Belgium. He said he was from the same village as Tom Bonen. I said it was too bad about the cocaine and he laughed so hard he almost crashed.

Here’s the map
http://www.mapmyride.com/route/th/su%20thep/158072668461

And some pics
The first three are looking off from the peak.

This last one is the last valley before the climb to the peak.

I love the way your bike looks. I would probably most definitely go the same route if I got a bike of that caliber.

Yeah, getting the real paint job instead of a shitty powder coat was the right choice. I’m supposed to be getting decals from my friend for it. He traded me the paint for a wheel set. The best thing about aluminum is that if you polish it, it looks just like chrome but way cheaper.

bumping because i just rode really far (for me) and i want to brag or something. i’m sore in the ass region!

http://www.mapmyride.com/view_route?r=494816180309