rear wheel help!!!

im verrrrry new at this and im trying to convert an 83 schwinn world sport girl road bike into a fixedgear. i have taken off the brakes and gear components. the only thing holding me back is the fucking rear wheel!!! is there any way to take off the free wheel??? or do i have to buy one? any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in colorado springs, colorado so its not like i can just go to my local trackbike store either…which is why im trying to do the rear wheel on my own. thanks!

You need the right freewheel tool.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/freewheel.html

lots of good info here.

http://sheldonbrown.com/fixeda.html#converting

you neeed a new rear wheel with a track hub yo

If you use a suicide hub conversion job keep the front brake on.

isn’t colorado springs home to USACycling olympic training camp and the like? Any good bike shop should be able to help you. hell, even a crappy one should be able to get you on the road.

then he cant do skidzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
and thats really the main attraction to riding fixed

Yeah theres some decent shop and we have a really popular velodrome down here, and its a pretty big city but the shops on my end of town werent very helpful over the phone, and i dont think i can just walk into the olympic training center…but i havent tried. im gonna take the bus to that part of town next week though and see what i can find. the olympic training center isent as glamorous as it sounds though. its not in the best part of the city and although there based here idk how much there here. we have one velodrome in the city and other than local races there i have never seen it used. by USAcycling or anyone else.

[quote=“DDYTDY”]You need the right freewheel tool.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/freewheel.html

lots of good info here.

http://sheldonbrown.com/fixeda.html#converting[/quote]

thanks man this helped some…but im not very bike lingo savy yet…therfore i found the help area a little over my head. :confused: can anyone put what i need to do into easier to understand words for me?? i cant even figure out how to get the sprockets off of the wheel.

[quote=“trackstar”]
Yeah theres some decent shop and we have a really popular velodrome down here, and its a pretty big city but the shops on my end of town werent very helpful over the phone, and i dont think i can just walk into the olympic training center…but i havent tried. im gonna take the bus to that part of town next week though and see what i can find. the olympic training center isent as glamorous as it sounds though. its not in the best part of the city and although there based here idk how much there here. we have one velodrome in the city and other than local races there i have never seen it used. by USAcycling or anyone else.[/quote]

All I was saying is that I know Colorado is a cycling Mecca and that a place that has olympic cyclists in town might have a decent bike shop. Also, in my experience, asking for bike help from a shop is a difficult request simply because they can’t see your bike over the phone.

[quote=“noahgansett”][quote=“trackstar”]
Yeah theres some decent shop and we have a really popular velodrome down here, and its a pretty big city but the shops on my end of town werent very helpful over the phone, and i dont think i can just walk into the olympic training center…but i havent tried. im gonna take the bus to that part of town next week though and see what i can find. the olympic training center isent as glamorous as it sounds though. its not in the best part of the city and although there based here idk how much there here. we have one velodrome in the city and other than local races there i have never seen it used. by USAcycling or anyone else.[/quote]

All I was saying is that I know Colorado is a cycling Mecca and that a place that has olympic cyclists in town might have a decent bike shop. Also, in my experience, asking for bike help from a shop is a difficult request simply because they can’t see your bike over the phone.[/quote]

yeah i get what your saying i appreciate it. we have many bike shops because road racing is huge here and in fort collins. but when i took my rear wheel in with me to the bike shops around my house i got strange looks and questions i couldent answer. they were no help at all. theres one down south which is where the olympic traing center is. thats the one i called and they couldent help me. but i will be heading down there on the bus to take it in, and look around. but id prefer to be able to do it myself and not give it to a shop a do because i want to learn so i can do it with more and more bikes. :slight_smile:

Your freewheel is threaded onto the hub, much like a track cog is. You need to take the wheel to a bike shop and have them remove the freewheel. Any shop can do it, and it should cost you whatever their “minimum shop charge” is.

After that, you need to read the familiarize yourself with the second Sheldon Brown link that DDYTDY posted, if you want to do this yourself. Sheldon even made a glossary of all the terms he uses on the website, so if something is lost on you, you can look it up. Sheldonbrown.com really is a tremendous resource, and you should spend a few hours reading it before you attempt to make this conversion a reality.

Also, put your brakes back on. Riding without brakes is stupid, and it’s especially stupid for someone as green as you. No offense.

and they cant work on your bike over the phone either.

-j

7-11 is the fastest track in the country and used for national level races including national championships.

then he cant do skidzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
and thats really the main attraction to riding fixed[/quote]

I skid on a suicide hub all the time in bike polo. rotafix + loctite + BB lockring = no problems. Front brake is good to have though too.

[quote=“bonechilling”]Your freewheel is threaded onto the hub, much like a track cog is. You need to take the wheel to a bike shop and have them remove the freewheel. Any shop can do it, and it should cost you whatever their “minimum shop charge” is.

After that, you need to read the familiarize yourself with the second Sheldon Brown link that DDYTDY posted, if you want to do this yourself. Sheldon even made a glossary of all the terms he uses on the website, so if something is lost on you, you can look it up. Sheldonbrown.com really is a tremendous resource, and you should spend a few hours reading it before you attempt to make this conversion a reality.

Also, put your brakes back on. Riding without brakes is stupid, and it’s especially stupid for someone as green as you. No offense.[/quote]

THANK YOU!!

but im gonna try no brakes for awhile. :slight_smile:

7-11 is the fastest track in the country and used for national level races including national championships.[/quote]

look at there website.

its all local weekly races.

all the national stuff is in other places.

Might be a good idea to at least have it there, until you get the hang of it.
But what do I know.

Do whatever stupid, trendy think you want. I, for one, enjoy riding faster than ten miles per hour, though.

ok man. do what makes you happy. i am going to ride without brakes. i promse i wont blame any of you when i eat shit.

and in other news rei of all places took off my free wheel for me :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: and i ordered a cog they said id need. does this sound right?

lol your gonna die

you have no idea what your doing, but you KNOW you wanna ride brakeless