rebuilding on an old rim - opinions?

It’s a hard anodized Wolber. The coating has worn off in places, but no serious brake scratches/wear. Seems straight. No cracks visible around the eyelets.

I figure money is tight and I could use the practice. Even if it just lasts me a few months it seems worth it.

The current rear wheel has several pretty long cracks at the eyelets. It looks really sketchy.

Sounds like you got nothing to lose by building it up. Might as well do it.

Do you have to buy new spokes?

If you can reuse the spokes and want to do it yourself I’d say go for it. But if you have to sink money into new spokes I’d almost say go with a new rim if you need something to last long term.

[quote=“asterisk”]Do you have to buy new spokes?

If you can reuse the spokes and want to do it yourself I’d say go for it. But if you have to sink money into new spokes I’d almost say go with a new rim if you need something to last long term.[/quote]

Yeah. I would buy new spokes.

As far as lasting long term, I’m not sure what the plan is for the bike. I know I want to keep it, but I’m not sure I want to continue running 7 speed on it.

I think you’ll be fine. Old tubulars were known to crack, and if that happens then yeah, you’ll be fucked, but it’s not like it’s going to just explode on you one day. There are plenty of people still riding old rims on a daily basis.

Those Wolbers are clinchers I believe. I have some I just bought off ebay that must have been in some warehouse for 25 years. 120 spaced 6 speed Shimano Uniglide cassette. Lots of shop wear, and they came really out of true, but the price was right, and they look snazzy.

Mine is - an Alpine.

Well, even better. I wouldn’t hesitate to build it up.

Build it, riding a cracked rim is bad fuckin news