Recommend me a group for my cross check.

Thinking of putting gears on my cross check since my commute is going to be doubled come school time. Been searching Ebay but all I’ve been finding are high end groups way out of my budget. Anyone have any suggestions for a mid level group?

105 and Veloce are both great bargains.

yea i think i’m going to try to piece it together with random bits of 105 or whatever.

Nine speed DA or Ultegra can be had for pretty cheap now, especially if you piece it all together.

However you end up building it, I would suggest going with downtube shifters (especially if you already have two brakes). STI levers are insanely expensive, and downtube shifters are awesome, IMO.

I’m planning on building a 105/ultegra cross check some time this winter…

i’m going bar-end

Try a mountain group, like Shimano Deore or Sram X-7. If you’re doing flat bars, X-7 shifters and X-5 derailleurs are not too expensive. If you’re using friction shifters, your derailleurs won’t really matter as long as they are adjusted properly and can handle the range of gears you want. I feel like mountain bike components will be tougher, but heavier. Probably worth the weight, unless your commute is entirely uphill.

I really want to build up my schwinn all-weather cx style with some trigger type shifters on a pair of moustache bars, input?

Check bar sizing. You’re most likely gonna have to stretch/hack those triggers to get them on a set of euro josh bars.

I tried mustache bars for the first time two weeks ago and they’re the fucking worst. There’s nothing vaguely resembling a comfortable hand position which can be achieved with these bars. I hate them and I would never encourage anyone to use them.

I tried mustache bars for the first time two weeks ago and they’re the fucking worst. There’s nothing vaguely resembling a comfortable hand position which can be achieved with these bars. I hate them and I would never encourage anyone to use them.[/quote]

I’ve run them on my conversion before with good results. You just have to hike them up a bit higher than expected.

maybe something more like swept back randonuers or something?
I want a little more upright position than drops but still want to be able to put down the hammer…
think it would be possible to run a 2 lever setup, with aero levers and then tops levers and put the shifters in the tops levers trigger style?
I’m all about trying wacky shit with this build.

Just get some cross levers and it should work. It might get a little tricky with the lever and shifter clamps/cables right next to each other but you should be able to get it to work.

[quote=“frankstoneline”]maybe something more like swept back randonuers or something?
I want a little more upright position than drops but still want to be able to put down the hammer…
think it would be possible to run a 2 lever setup, with aero levers and then tops levers and put the shifters in the tops levers trigger style?
I’m all about trying wacky shit with this build.[/quote]
That sounds hella fun. It’ll take some creative cable routing, most likely, but it’s definitely feasible. Maybe you could try getting some shallower cross drops? I’ve been pretty tempted by the WTB dirt drops lately, but I don’t really have a bike I feel like I need them on right now.

sram X-7, flat bar, trust me.