Recommend me a torque wrench

I want to get something in the 5-50 range as I don’t think there are any bike parts that go beyond that. Should I get a Snap-On or is one of the Craftsman wrenches sufficient? What about Park?

I have one of the Craftsman beam style wrenches, it works and is pretty easy to use. Not sure of the accuracy, though. When I was looking for one it seemed like all the non-beam style ones that were in the bike range of torque were pretty expensive, but it seems like those might be easier to use overall. The beam style is hard to get into some tight spaces and such.

I have a large one from harbor freight, dunno if they make a small one. I read an article in grassroots motorsports it somethin where they tested the hf torque wrench against other brands and it was near the top even though it was the cheapest.

NO OFFENSE, BUT CRAFTSMAN TORQUE WRENCHES ARE GARBAGE. i deal with them all the time at work. my boss just tells me to throw them away.

snap on digital wrench is the only way to go

1 Like

depends. when new, might be accurate. i calibrate the torque wrenches at work (well i did for teh past 2 years up until 3 months ago) and the hf ones are junk. terribly inconsistent. same with the craftsman ones.

unless you have a torque wrench calibration machine at home, i wouldnt get anything but a snap on digital torque wrench

If you just need to avoid overtightening the usual crabon shit, the Ritchey Torqkey is a great cheap option:

I have the Giustaforza Standard. I like it a lot.

http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=EMGF216&Category_Code=Tools

So much bullshit in this thread. Ignore every bit of it.

Go to ebay, find yourself a Proto dial torque wrench in the range you need. I think mine is a J6177F or some such up to 30 or 50nm. Thing retails for >$200 and I got it for $30 or some such which isn’t hard to do as they’re fairly common on ebay.

[quote=blasdelf]If you just need to avoid overtightening the usual crabon shit, the Ritchey Torqkey is a great cheap option:

[/quote]

+1

Perfect for steerer tube/stem/handlebars, as long as your bolts are 4mm. Not so much with carbon seatposts coz 5mm or 6mm bolts and 10nm. If I were to get any torque wrench with a range, it would definitely be bike-specific with a precision digital readout. Fukka using a ham-fisted automotive tool on spendy carbon.

effetto mariposa giustaforza pro, standard, or basic.

the phil wood or chris king of torque wrenches.

http://www.effettomariposa.com/giustaforza_fam_en.html

I have both the Parks and they’re just fine. Also, calibrating consists of bending the indicator rod back to center.

[quote=SUPERVEEPS][quote=blasdelf]If you just need to avoid overtightening the usual crabon shit, the Ritchey Torqkey is a great cheap option:

[/quote]

+1

Perfect for steerer tube/stem/handlebars, as long as your bolts are 4mm. Not so much with carbon seatposts coz 5mm or 6mm bolts and 10nm. If I were to get any torque wrench with a range, it would definitely be bike-specific with a precision digital readout. Fukka using a ham-fisted automotive tool on spendy carbon.[/quote]
lolhamfist? putting an engine together is way more serioius of a job than protecting your crabone preciouses

But putting an engine together is not what Nate intends to use this wrench for.

Also: I want one of those Effetto ones. Looks baller.

yeah but the one i suggested is accurate?

Unless you’re just installing square taper cranks, using an automotive-specific torque wrench on a bike would be hamfisted. The range of pressure they measure is much greater than the 5-12nm carbon bits require. That’s not to say building a car isn’t serious, but you have to use the right tool for the job. If you can find one at Autozone that can do both, awesome.

Matt, I’m sure it’s very accurate, but there’s no way that huge wrench is going to be able to get into some of the tight spots on a bike.

[quote=SUPERVEEPS]Unless you’re just installing square taper cranks, using an automotive-specific torque wrench on a bike would be hamfisted. The range of pressure they measure is much greater than the 5-12nm carbon bits require. That’s not to say building a car isn’t serious, but you have to use the right tool for the job. If you can find one at AutoZone that can do both, awesome.[/quote]lolvatozone. but yeah, i get what you mean. i posted the snap on wrench because it really is an awesome wrench. we dont measure in nm at work, but this wrench goes down to 1/10 foot/pound of pressure.

we have had craftsman wrenches that were brand new that were WAY off calibration whereas these snap on units have gone ~5 years and still within 5% deviation.

i cant see anywhere it wouldnt fit? seat bolts? bb? stem bolts?

The clamp down on saddle rails.