Recommend to me Centerpulls that are Good that are not Paul's

59mm - 73mm reach is too much. Were there used to be good ones?

why centerpulls?

I’m bored.

http://www.bikepro.com/products/brakes/brakecanti/avid_trialign.html

Mafac racer.

macaframa racer

This. I mean. If you’re going to go the centerpull route, might as well get some Mafacs and some of those repro salmon pads.

what’s the advantage of centerpulls?

There is none.

There is none.[/quote]

Improved clearance over most side-pull brakes.

To the OP, Dia-Compe makes some, and VO is going to be shipping some (likely the exact same things) soon.

To the OP, Dia-Compe makes some, and VO is going to be shipping some (likely the exact same things) soon.

[/quote]

Yep, looks like a brake to me. What’s the point?

I think his point was that they have good clearance

I was looking for some ages-old knowledge about the hierarchy of Mafac brakes or some shit. The write-ups on the Paul centerpulls always say how nice the modulation is, I was just wondering if there was an older brake with like 49-63mm reach that was good.
I guess the Competition and 2000 models were higher than the Racers.

I had a set of these with kool stops. They were not quite as good as modern dual pivots, but they were brakes that stopped you.

[/quote]

Except for the side pull brakes that are designed to have the same type of clearance as the centerpulls WITH the greater power (and nifty quick release) of dual pivot.

Paul = 59-73mm reach for $260
Tektro R556 = 55-73mm reach for $80

Hmmm…

[quote=sneaky viking]I think his point was that they have good clearance
[/quote]
Yeah, that was all. I just don’t see the point, they are several generations obsolete, and there are good modern alternatives that work a lot better.

[quote=bradencbc]Except for the side pull brakes that are designed to have the same type of clearance as the centerpulls WITH the greater power (and nifty quick release) of dual pivot.

Paul = 59-73mm reach for $260
Tektro R556 = 55-73mm reach for $80

Hmmm…[/quote]

I didn’t say that everyone should run out and buy Pauls, I just pointed out that that was an advantage of center-pull brakes. You’re reading far too much into my post.

I think that the technology of center-pull brakes is out of date and I don’t see why anyone would use them, unless they’re building some period-correct bike or that’s just all they’ve got.

[quote=sneaky viking]I think his point was that they have good clearance

I was looking for some ages-old knowledge about the hierarchy of Mafac brakes or some shit. The write-ups on the Paul centerpulls always say how nice the modulation is, I was just wondering if there was an older brake with like 49-63mm reach that was good.
I guess the Competition and 2000 models were higher than the Racers.
[/quote]

Here’s a list of the reach of various centrepull brakes

Competitions and 2000 (a later version of Competitions) are more sought-after and generally sell for more than the Racers. I’ve not used the Comps or 2000 and so I can’t compare them to Racers.