Relationship Accelerator: tandem thread

i love surlys

5 Likes

Saw this thread and hopes that when I clicked through, there would be a photo of this tandem.

2 Likes

Amazing. Also I’m pretty sure I spent a pleasant hour early one morning in the early 2000s tripping balls in front of the house which is now yours.

2 Likes

Finally installed the tandem tray and practiced mounting it up. Shit is terrifying-looking that high up off the ground!

6 Likes

Also, a pic from our weekend ride up lookout mtn:

6 Likes

Also terrifying in a parking garage, even just for testing purposes.

3 Likes

It’s gonna be pretty obnoxious - my wife will have to get off the elevator and fetch the van, meet me downstairs, and then we throw it up there. Way more importantly I need to remember it’s on the roof when we get back home.

4 Likes

I don’t know if you have a garage door opener or not but I always take mine off the visor where it normally resides and stick it in the center console. I’ve definitely found myself reaching for it when coming back from a ride a bit knackered.

In '96-ish I drove my Gary Fisher Montare into the porte-cochere in front of a motel in West Texas after driving for 20 hours. I bent the seatpost, but otherwise, the bike was undamaged.

Also around that time, I had to back a production van down a long parking garage ramp at one of the “Galleria” malls in Los Angeles after I hit that big hanging pipe that lets you know you won’t have clearance. I was an intern who was terrified of screwing up and screwed up a lot. Because of that experience, the photo of the van in the garage gives me cold sweats.

1 Like

I had a fun two-fer at the covered ferry parking in Port Angeles. I drove over after a late dinner in Seattle and bent my seat post when I forgot my bike was on the roof rack. Then, after successfully replacing the post in Victoria and finishing a short tour, I drove off without the front wheel after pulling my car out of the parking garage and into the street to put the bike back on the roof.

Luckily, I remembered it after a stop to get some snacks and circled back around…it was still propped up on the curb.

I need one of these signs so I can have something that catches the eye when the tandem is on the roof

1 Like

does your home garage door require a clicker to open?

does the tandem roof rack use a key to secure the fork mount?

if yes to both, have the only key you use be on a ring with the garage door opener, and deliberately leash it to the tandem’s front wheel for storage after using the key

Or just leave the clicker in a drawer at home so you’re forced to get out of the car to open the garage.

@joyofvaping that’s some solid behavioral enforcement, but I live on the 7th floor and the fob to get in the building has the buttons for the garage on it.

I’m gonna add an extra strap from the bars to the far-side of the roof, and I’ll dangle it down and tie it around the passenger mirror so when I check the bike lane on the way in the driveway i’ll see the strap and remember.

There are various roof rack reminder hang tags, but depending on the jurisdiction could result in a ticket. Look Up Dummy has some removable vinyl decals you could probably put on the driver’s window.

1 Like

Have you considered a shorter vehicle, such as a Miata?

5 Likes

tandem rear wheel would double as a wheelie bar

Thinking about trying to start something up for Bay Area tandem people. Apparently my father in law used to have ‘leisure cards’ for some of his hobbies. business cards and post cards are so cheap to print online. Thinking about getting a handful made up to post at local shops and hand out to cool people we meet on the trails.

3 Likes

Brooks
Man of Leisure

5 Likes

D(ad)ICKIW

1 Like