Replacement R-SYS front wheel fails

I agree with you, I was more trying to explain how I’ve developed a different perspective about carbon than those who refuse to trust it at all. I was good and drunk when I wrote that, too.

Dunno. Prob never. Our factory doesn’t really deal with carbon. So i would have to out source it. But if i do find a factory with exceptional QC, it is something I might consider.

Dunno. Prob never. Our factory doesn’t really deal with carbon. So i would have to out source it. But if i do find a factory with exceptional QC, it is something I might consider.[/quote]

Do you know what factories don’t have good QC in carbon, and what they make? So we can stay the fuck away from those products.

No i don’t actually. there are so many factories popping up here and there in China doing this stuff and I don’t know what brands they are doing. What is interesting tho is that there are some carbon frame makers in China making frames that are as high tech and quality as the best frames coming from Taiwan and Europe. I know for a fact that a few of those TDF teams are racing on Made in China frames.

Dunno. Prob never. Our factory doesn’t really deal with carbon. So i would have to out source it. But if i do find a factory with exceptional QC, it is something I might consider.[/quote]

Do you know what factories don’t have good QC in carbon, and what they make? So we can stay the fuck away from those products.[/quote]

Carbon is an EXTREMELY difficult product to QC when compared to other comparable (read “used”) products such as aluminum. (This is comforting when flying our aircraft Cirrus SR-20/22’s through turbulence and your wing looks like a diving board)

Reason is, carbon requires microscopic examination.

Carbon is EASILY as safe as any other material in bicycling technology. I’ve argued this to exhaustion with many in the cycling community.

I honestly thing the biggest problem with the R-Sys system was resonance.

Do you know what factories don’t have good QC in carbon, and what they make? So we can stay the fuck away from those products.[/quote]

Carbon is an EXTREMELY difficult product to QC when compared to other comparable (read “used”) products such as aluminum. (This is comforting when flying our aircraft Cirrus SR-20/22’s through turbulence and your wing looks like a diving board)[/quote]

I’d think the BRS would provide more reassurance when the wings are behaving like a diving board.

I’m not sure about the failure mode of the R-sys, but the cosmic carbone is proof that a decent carbon wheel with carbon spokes exists.

Carbon is an EXTREMELY difficult product to QC when compared to other comparable (read “used”) products such as aluminum. (This is comforting when flying our aircraft Cirrus SR-20/22’s through turbulence and your wing looks like a diving board)[/quote]

I’d think the BRS would provide more reassurance when the wings are behaving like a diving board.

I’m not sure about the failure mode of the R-sys, but the cosmic carbone is proof that a decent carbon wheel with carbon spokes exists.[/quote]

In North Dakota the CAPS (Cirrus’ brand of a BRS) is comforting… in most other places, its a 50/50 shot. In the event of structural failure… you’ve got no other option. If my engine quits, you can bet your ass I’ll be flying that thing in for an on or off field landing. The last thing I want to do is take away my controllability, unless I absolutely ABSOLUTELY must.

How are the spokes made in the carbones? I know literally nothing of those carbon spokes.

this link goes ITT

950g/pair!

[quote=toast]this link goes ITT

950g/pair![/quote]
fuuuuuuuuuuck!

I guess that explains why they aren’t abandoning r-sys and sub kg stiff as fuck wheelset is quite an accomplishment.

That’s a horrible sentence. What do you mean?

mavic’s sticking with the potentially dodge-factor-five wheelset as they light as fuck and stiff to boot

A stiff as fuck wheelset under 1 kg is quite an accomplishment. It would be silly for them to abandon it.

and yes i totally agree that those wheels are insane light.