Replacing my Langster frame

If by jackass you mean impractical, then its seems youd be the one best suited to answer that question. And by that logic, if a track bike is what is practical for you Id look for whichever would have fender/rack eyelets and best tire clearances. If you can get a Steamroller from QBP Id most certainly take that route.

fuji track pro is silly on the street

get a track comp

or a s-works

ball a little.

can i steer this slightly to the left and ask about cyclocross frames?
fantom cross uno shipped… 210
cross check roughly 420…
i have the money for the uno now, and could have it for the cross check in a month. main advantage i see is that the cross check has horizontal dropouts. wwyd?

Uno’s hard to pass up, but if you ever imagine running gears on it I’d wait for the Cross Check.

Check out the Crosscheck.

Alex, how do you find the FTP silly compared to the Comp?

My biggest gripe with the steamroller, no eyelets. What the hell kind of commuter oriented bike can’t take a rack and fenders. Thats always annoyed me.

Man, all this time I thought they had them. The 'Roller just isnt what it once was in my mind anymore.

I’ve been kinda eying up the fantom cross Uno by Motobecane. I think that’d be a slick set up for winter or summer. Running dual brakes, full fenders, and front and rear racks during the winter with some cross tires. Then running some 23mm tires in the summer with no fenders or racks… I just might do this once I get a job.

Check out the BI Jury frame.
Looks like an awesome SS/FG option that won’t break the bank and has mellower geo.
My roommate is getting one in orange!

i just decided on the cross check. horizontal dropout plus the option to set it up for touring…

[quote=R.J.]Check out the Crosscheck.

Alex, how do you find the FTP silly compared to the Comp?[/quote]

comp = “old” ftp

new FTP = seatmast, general fancy-ass thing, spendy, yadda yadda yadda

Never a bad choice! The CC can be almost anything and almost everything. I love, love, love mine :slight_smile:

Instead of tarckbike.com it should be crosscheckbike.com, but that’s not as cool, yo.

just bought a barely used frameset on ebay for $300, that was fast.

I largely agree with this, except that the OP should get the Bikes Direct Steamroller knock-off, which improves on much of what Surly neglected to do. The price of a Jury frameset is less than the cost of a Steamroller from QBP, and it comes with eyelets for racks & fenders.

Also, the new Fuji Track Pro is insanely badass. I wish my shop carried Fuji - I’d already own one by now.

As far as utility, I don’t need the clearance or eyelets or whatever. I have a different bike for being practical. I’m really looking for something to ride around the streets and have fun, because I like riding a 700x23c fixed gear around.

Jackass? Maybe. AYHSMB.

But I’m thinking the comp might be good for that.

I seem to recall you calling it stupid for having a seatmast when it was first released.
But I could be wrong.

Well, fuck if you have a different bike for being practical and shit, get the Comp or Pro and have something completely different.

BC, Very helpful info to have on the Jury.

langster vegas looks fun. you already know how it handles. just get the larger size. and stay with me on team langster: no theme will fix that look.

edit: but seriously, I think the ‘09 stock langster with the clearcoat is the best deal out there. It’s cheaper than all the themed versions and comes with a toupe’ saddle. and you said you want to keep it cheap, this will cost less than the comp and avoid any “jackass” scrutiny beyond the fact that you’re riding a langster.