Restoration advice

I am restoring a neglected Panasonic Sport 1000 that got left outside when a friend of mine moved to Europe. The seat post is stuck in the seat tube. Two questions: Does this mean the frame is rusted out and thus not worth restoring? Is I just going to break? If it’s worth the effort, any suggestions on how to get that sucker out?

I’d really like to have a beater geared bike

Thanks

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

I should have known Sheldon would have the answer.

Amonia works best, you have to either find a way to cap all of the holes and pour as much as you can into the seat tube, or soak the entire frame. If that doesn’t work then you have to hacksaw the seat post out or have a frame repair person cut it out. They put a small cut into the seat tube which releases pressure and makes it very easy to remove the seat post. They then weld the hold back up.

Once you strip the frame down you could hang it from a single point and ‘ring’ the tubes with a metal implement. if they all produce a clear ringing tone then the frame is probably ok… any dodgy sounds usually means a compromised tube… unless the saddle was removed you are probably OK.

The seatpost is solid (no way to poar ammonia down it) So it’s either soak the whole bike or hacksaw. Fuck, this is turning out to be way too much effort.

it’ll come out, you have to use some elbow grease

I doubt the post is solid, that makes no sense for the application, especially for any decent bicycle. It does have the saddle bracket on top though and you will need that for leverage, so don’t hack it off.

If you want to try the ammonia soaking trick, turn the frame upside-down and pour it in through the bottom bracket shell. You’re going to have to remove the BB at some point anyway.

Take your time. You could also try some PB-Blaster or Liquid Wrench where the post goes into the seat tube. Let it soak overnight. I wouldn’t try heat on it but any number of penetrating lubes may help. You could also take it to a shop and try to get their most experienced mechanic to look it over.

[quote=“andrewro”]I doubt the post is solid, that makes no sense for the application, especially for any decent bicycle. It does have the saddle bracket on top though and you will need that for leverage, so don’t hack it off.

If you want to try the ammonia soaking trick, turn the frame upside-down and pour it in through the bottom bracket shell. You’re going to have to remove the BB at some point anyway.

Take your time. You could also try some PB-Blaster or Liquid Wrench where the post goes into the seat tube. Let it soak overnight. I wouldn’t try heat on it but any number of penetrating lubes may help. You could also take it to a shop and try to get their most experienced mechanic to look it over.[/quote]

My old schwinn had a solid seat post lol.

The liquid wrench is a good idea, spray it in then gently tap around it with a mallet to make sure it gets down inside. Let it sit for an hour and try to pull it out if it doesn’t come then spray some more in and wait over night.

I got the stinky bastard out!
Thanks for all the pointers.
Some penetrating oil, a table vice and a helping hand were all it took

my friend found his uncles old puch in the basement of his dads hardware store and the seatpost was seized…he took it to the local body shop to see if they had any ideas and they sprayed a shit load of wd40 into it or around it and it eventually loosened up a bit. On a different bike the stem was completly seized, we did the same thing but smacked it down with a hammer to break the seal…it took forever to get it out but it worked eventually after a ton of hammering then turning and trying to pull out (the stem was ruined but we got it out). try getting wd40 into the seatpost and hitting it in to break the bond of the rust, if we got our shit out it should be possible on any bike depending on how much time you want to put into it.