Reusing Spokes

Any reason not to reuse extremely lightly used spokes when re-lacing?

Also, I seem to remember once hearing that it’s a bad idea to rebuild radially a hub that was originally built up 2x or 3x. Any truth to this?

There’s usually grooves in the hub from the old spoke pattern that could damage the spokes. I’ve done it and it’s been fine so far. I’d say you run a similar amount of risk reusing spokes too.

I wouldn’t really worry about it. I think the warnings come from manufacturers looking to c.y.a. and sell more crap.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/reusing-spokes.html

I try to lace used hubs the same as they were laced. I would think that a 2X or 3x hub would be weaker where the spoke was previously bedded.

The flanges get more load on a radial wheel. I’m not sure its a good idea to try this.

[quote=“DDYTDY”]http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/reusing-spokes.html

I try to lace used hubs the same as they were laced. I would think that a 2X or 3x hub would be weaker where the spoke was previously bedded.

The flanges get more load on a radial wheel. I’m not sure its a good idea to try this.[/quote]

This is true in general, used or new. I was looking at DTSwiss.com last night and I noticed all of their front hubs are now named blah blah Radial.

I do run some wheels radially laced even on some hubs not recommended for it, but to relace a previously x’ed wheel might be asking for some new dental work.

I do look for cracking on the flanges now and then which reminds me…

[quote=“DDYTDY”]I do run some wheels radially laced even on some hubs not recommended for it, but to relace a previously x’ed wheel might be asking for some new dental work.

I do look for cracking on the flanges now and then which reminds me…[/quote]

I’ll make sure to keep that policy paid up. The hub I used is a 17 yo Shimano 105 that was laced 3X, now modified 2X crowsfoot (1/2 radial, half 2X.)

[/quote]I’ll make sure to keep that policy paid up. The hub I used is a 17 yo Shimano 105 that was laced 3X, now modified 2X crowsfoot (1/2 radial, half 2X.)[/quote]

I completely lack the attention span required to build a wheel like that.

Did you get it first try?

I completely lack the attention span required to build a wheel like that.

Did you get it first try?[/quote]

Almost. I had two 2X spokes that weaved thru differently than the rest.

[quote=“peedtm”][quote=“DDYTDY”]I do run some wheels radially laced even on some hubs not recommended for it, but to relace a previously x’ed wheel might be asking for some new dental work.

I do look for cracking on the flanges now and then which reminds me…[/quote]

I’ll make sure to keep that policy paid up. The hub I used is a 17 yo Shimano 105 that was laced 3X, now modified 2X crowsfoot (1/2 radial, half 2X.)[/quote]
Nice. Crow’s foot is badass.

I wouldn’t have any hesitations about reusing lightly used spokes, as long as I gave them a visual inspection just to make sure they weren’t damaged or anything. I just rebuilt my rear road wheel using all of the original spokes and nipples. Just had to make sure I laced the wheel the same way as before, but that was easy to do, as the hub had nice little grooves worn into it from years of already being built up.

Sometimes, though, people come in with old 10-speed wheels whose spokes are so old and fucked up and frozen that you can’t even true the wheel with them there. Then it takes some new spokes.