Riding offroad kicks ass

this last week has been one of the best in my cycling life… I’ve been riding my ss cross bike on some singletrack… it is so much more fun then riding around on the street waiting for a hillbilly to door me… i like it.

it definitely works both ways, but the change is awesome

so cross bikes work alright on singletracks?? i’m not sure how i want to build the rob roy

I took my CC up into the hills last weekend. It was very very enjoyable. I need some knobby tires.

[quote=“snails”]it definitely works both ways, but the change is awesome
so cross bikes work alright on singletracks?? i’m not sure how i want to build the rob roy[/quote]
build it like bonechilling built his, you will not regret it.

[quote=“snails”]

so cross bikes work alright on singletracks?? i’m not sure how i want to build the rob roy[/quote]
hell mutha fuckin ya it works alright… mine is a stock phantom uno w/ slightly changed gearing and tektro brake levers…

ive been killing it… like 4 days in a row ive been up in the hills getting lost on trails and shit.

I take my 1x9 Cross Check out on trails all the time and it handles them pretty well. Then I just wipe the dirt off once in awhile and ride it to work. I put these Conti tires on there that are flat tread in the middle with knobbies along the edge and they work pretty well for both kinds of terrain. Might get a little slip if I’m super aggressive on dirt but over all pretty good.

[quote=“dmotoguy”][quote=“snails”]

hell mutha fuckin ya it works alright… mine is a stock phantom uno w/ slightly changed gearing and tektro brake levers…

ive been killing it… like 4 days in a row ive been up in the hills getting lost on trails and shit.[/quote]

switch it to fixed on some rolling sections. It’ll change your world.

(I found 34x16 or 18 to be good gears for offroad fixed)

I might try that, I have a 16 fixed on the other side of the hub… I should probably replace it with a 19 or something and give it a shot… seems like it would kick ass…

It’ll revolutionize a trail that you’re getting bored of.

Those short, dull descents become epic when you’re watching for every tiny rut and root on the way down. Anything that used to be semi-technical becomes nearly impossible (at first).

I really wish I still had my fixed mtb. I’ll build another one some day.

I just took my mountain bike off road today for the first time. I realized that a) I’m fucking awful and b) it’s really fucking fun. I’m scared to hurt myself (in any situation) though, so I’m not sure how well that will translate to mountain biking.

it’s the zen.

i discovered that once you get over the fear of hurting yourself, you become a much better rider. having balls/confidence is almost better than having skill. having both is great.

I’ll feel better if I get some pads, gloves, and a MTB helmet (all I have right now is an Atmos, and I’d rather not break it just messing around in the woods).

whats your ss cc setup. i got a iro rr and im stoked.

I had that too. Then I went over the bars going town a steep 8’ drop. Got the wind knocked out of me and a scraped elbow. I realized that it was nothing like going down on the road. There’s hard packed dirt and rocks and stuff, but overall, it’s a hell of a lot softer than a sea of concrete. And, for the most part, you aren’t going nearly as fast (though it feels like you’re going faster).

I want a Paddy Wagon so I can try this out myself. As far as bike choice, it’s mostly aesthetic (i.e. I realize there are other things that do the job as well for as much/less), but I could get one for a great deal locally if I had any money whatsoever.

Every time I’ve fallen on the road I get cut up. Every time I fall on the trails (in new england) i get hurt bad and limp for weeks. The rocks around these parts are dangerous.

I’d rather fall on the road then on the rocks around here.

You also feel so much faster on the dirt.

Now I want a cyclocross bike really bad.

[quote=“NitroPye”]Every time I’ve fallen on the road I get cut up. Every time I fall on the trails (in new england) i get hurt bad and limp for weeks. The rocks around these parts are dangerous.

I’d rather fall on the road then on the rocks around here.

You also feel so much faster on the dirt.[/quote]

That is my experience here in MA, as well. Rocks (and roots) everywhere. It makes for some fun riding but it hurts to fall. This summer seemed worse because the rain washed out many trails and exposed more rocks.

Still, agreed that riding off road kicks ass.

It’s ok.

Ok