Rollers or stationary trainer

I don’t do too much riding over a few miles from mid december to late feb/early march, but I wanna keep in shape. What should I get?

Also what would be better for a fixed/ss bike. Would lack of gears make a difference?

I have a stationary trainer, haven’t tried it fixed. Kinda wish I had some rollers.

Rollers are more of a challenge. It will keep you focused and may be more fun. But it will be more difficult to get on for an hour and watch TV or something if you just want miles. Also, they generally have very low resistance so they’re great for developing spin, but not good for building/keeping muscle (not that trainers are great for that either). You can get devices that add resistance to them.

Trainers are good for logging miles in your legs, but may let you get lazy with your spin and balance. Some also have multiple resistance settings which allow you to have more options for your SS bike.

My advice, join a spin class at a gym if you have time. They’re pretty fun and give you a good workout. Also, you’ll be the only guy in there and all the women will be checking out your hot legs. If you’re in college, they’re generally cheap/free and offered several times a day.

In conclusion, rollers. They’re the Tarckest.

I have rollers, they are fun. I use them for little breaks when I am stuck in my apartment doing homework all night.

i have rollers. they are fun. but i dont use them hardly enough because im lazy. id rather go outside and ride. i want to get a fork mount for mine, so i can just get on and do some miles.

Mrs Muzzy would not approve

[quote=“muzzy”][quote=“TimArchy”]
you’ll be the only guy in there and all the women will be checking out your hot legs.
[/quote]

Mrs Muzzy would not approve[/quote]

Too bad. One of my epic catches in high school was a drop dead gorgeous girl that was WAY out of my league who I had class with. She wouldn’t give me the time of day, then I went to spin class and she was there. The rest was history…me being a retard and not making a move until too late.

trainer if you want the best overall workout. rollers if you want to improve your spin - by pedaling technique and minimizing upper body movement. rollers can give a great, fast cardio workout as well, by spinning real fast.

i’ve tried both, and a trainer will give your legs the best workout. when using rollers i found i was limited by how long i could balance (or put up with balancing), which was usually 30 minutes or less, in which case my legs would still be pretty fresh. plus, at least in my case, the rollers were really low resistance. this is fine if you are working on your VO2, but not so great if you are trying to tire out your legs.

-edit-

i think tim pretty much hit all of my points…

my roller came with a magnetic resistance unit. its adjustable.

How loud are rollers? Would my downstairs neighbor disapprove?

depends on your tires. mine is about as loud as a BIG fan. but offroad tires would be unbearable id bet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKEHoA_xl-U&feature=related

Rollers, if you run a pretty stiff gear fixed they will kick your ass into shape as far as stamina goes. Do intervals on em for a more varied workout, and you can take some air out of your tires or prop the front end up a little for more workout.
Trainers make your form sloppy in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVbwngNoHm0

terrible form :bear:

You can get stuff to put under the feet to dampen the vibrations. I think some people use dense foam yoga mats. Nothing thick enough to make the rollers unstable. It’ll keep the sweat off the floor also.

And, yeah, it definitely depends on the tires. I’m willing to bet those trainer tires are a bit quieter than regular tires.

smoother tread, and softer compound would prolly make for a quiet ride.

imma order a fork mount tomorrow. i like the roller, but id like to be able to get on and ride without worry of falling off LOL.

[quote=“solbrothers”]smoother tread, and softer compound would prolly make for a quiet ride.

imma order a fork mount tomorrow. i like the roller, but id like to be able to get on and ride without worry of falling off LOL.[/quote]

practice brah.

I’ve been wanting to get a set of rollers. Any suggestions on an affordable but decent set?

i got the nashbar reduced radius rollers, so far so good. I got em on sale for 80

i saw a bunch of rollers on ebay last night. i bought one for $200 new, and they sell for like $80 on ebay. lightly used