Saddle Sores

Feel free to share stories and uh… advice.

I had to take Friday off to heal. I had tried to mend to it Thursday night but when I got on the bike in the morn I rode 6 blocks and just said “no, not worth it getting worse”. It burned like hell. I shaved and baby powdered the area, I guess overnight isn’t enough time to heal. I wear cycling shorts under my pants too and have a soft saddle.

After a couple miles it just starts to suck lately, I’m thinking I need to change saddles again, but I’m sick of spending money on them. I’m also thinking that maybe tossing on another pair of shorts (gym shorts or something) will add some cushion.

I’m starting to think the only way to avoid this shit is to have clothing that covers and moves with every crease down there. Like, latex tight…

Friction sucks.

Gross.
But you do need to adjust your seat angle.

Did you use lube? :bear:

I’m curious about chamois butter. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences to share with it? How much do you use, how do you apply etc. What are the benefits/drawbacks? Sometimes one of my butt-hairs will get ingrown and I end up with a hard little painful butt-hair-bump. Does chamois butter help that?

Ive been thinking about wearing cycling shorts under my regular shorts.
Anyone do this?
This summer is the first time ive had a problem and had to be off the bike for about 3 days at one point, which really pissed me off.
Ive been doing a lot of long, sweaty rides and I also think my saddle sucks for my ass.
Ive tried adjusting it 10 times.

It’s actually a perfectly legitimate question. There’s a reason roadies and people who put long hours on the saddle use products like this:

[quote=“deathhare”]Ive been thinking about wearing cycling shorts under my regular shorts.
Anyone do this?
This summer is the first time ive had a problem and had to be off the bike for about 3 days at one point, which really pissed me off.
Ive been doing a lot of long, sweaty rides and I also think my saddle sucks for my ass.
Ive tried adjusting it 10 times.[/quote]

Yes, plenty of people do this. It’s good stuff IMO, you don’t need to do bare lycra thing on an average commute but bike shorts under the regular shorts helps a lot.

does anyone else’s dick go numb? like you know how your hand falls asleep and shit…

Happened when I did a 100 mile ride. Average day on the bike though? No.

Saddle angle

so point it down?

it’s pretty broken in now, i think i can point it down…

What the hell. I occasionally get a chaff or a gooch zit but nothing like my dick going numb.

well i ride in dickies shorts alot, slim fitting- wearing a 34 just because i can fit into them (and i have a bunch- i should probably be a 36)

i’m sure that’s a bit of the problem but my saddle is also pretty flat and vertical now. selle san marcos rolls, it’s pretty big and was mad stiff at first so i set it flat because it was hurting my tailbone (also tailbone sore from sleeping on the bus on my tailbone wrong)

so saddle angle down maybe… i’ll try it sunday.

if this rolls doesn’t work i might trade it for a regal or something. anyone wanna trade?

ive had my thing thing go numb a bit on hundred mile rides
other than that its fine

but i don’t own any cycling shorts

i got saddle sores when i first started riding but not anymore

If you’re shit’s going numb and you value it you need to get a new saddle right now.

Agreed. You are pinching a nerve in the soft tissue. Wearing jeans and other bulky clothes makes it worse because it just bunches and adds more pressure. You might try the Specialized BG series.

I learned very quickly DON’T RIDE IN TIGHTY WHITEYS.

Why…?

after 60 miles I had holes in my leg where the elastic had rubbed me. try bringing a girl home to that…

And also, judging by some of the posts on the first page, you chumps have your bikes set up all wrong.