Seagull Century

Anyone riding it next weekend?

I’ve done it and hillier century rides on a geared bike, so I’m going to give this one a shot on my fixed gear bike. So far, my times for known routes on a geared bike are about 2mph faster on the FG. I’m shooting for a sub 6.5hr time (including stops) for this century.

Sincerely,
Chris

• CKD

+1

• xnex

I love how long distance cyclists are normally allowed to subtract breaks from their total time when reporting their results on the internet. Actually I don’t, I think it’s nonsense. I was being sarcastic. Sub 6.5 hours on a fix will be impressive if you pull it off, good luck allencb.

I did a somewhat hilly century fixed in something like 6:58, including stops. Next year, if the course is the same, I’m thinking 6:20 is a good time to shoot for.

Some of you Bay Area gangsters should ride with me next year and raise hella $$$ for a good cause (Livestrong.)

I’m torn between this year’s Livestrong event and the Muddy Buddy event in Dallas.

It bugs me too. I only subtract stops I can’t control. Stops for to eat or take a break, stretch, etc all contribute to the final time.

Thanks

Chris

I only subtract stops I can’t control. [/quote]

Man, I didn’t know this was how people tabulate their shit. Mine time counts 2 flats.

I did a somewhat hilly century fixed in something like 6:58, including stops. Next year, if the course is the same, I’m thinking 6:20 is a good time to shoot for.

Some of you Bay Area gangsters should ride with me next year and raise hella $$$ for a good cause (Livestrong.)[/quote]

If I am here I am game. After getting a job, getting in shape and riding are my 2 main priorities.

I’m quite happy to finish a cent in 7+ (including breaks natch). But, I’m a lazy ld cyclist. My approach is, go slow and enjoy it. “Fuck it gently” so to speak.

Me too if I’m just meandering around, but I want to bring my times down so I can start doing some of the longer “randonneuring” events. They start at 160 miles and go up from there.

I have family responsibilities (wife and two kids), so my time is always limited. I’m still surprised SWMBO agreed to and even encouraged me to do this ride.

Chris

I did it.

6:31 total time (start at 8:09am, finshed at 2:40pm) and 5:35 pedaling time. 18.1mph average.

I lost a lot of time at the rest stops because of the lines (6000 total riders). There were lines for food, lines for water, and lines for the toilet. I didn’t “rest” at the stops, I got my food/water, hit the toilet, and stretched while in the various lines, but I still lost 10-15minutes per stop.

I probably would’ve averaged a higher speed too, but with 6000 riders, the route was crowded. Most of the time, I was cruising along between 19 and 21mph, only slowing below 19 when I’d hit a strong headwind or a pack of slow riders.

Not many FG bikes there, which was surprising. Someone told me there was two others.

At about 35 miles, I passed a guy riding a 26" wheel unicycle. That dude was hardcore. :colbert: Dunno if he finished…

All in all it was a great ride and the perfect Century for a FG bike.

Chris

[quote=“zombie”]I did a somewhat hilly century fixed in something like 6:58, including stops. Next year, if the course is the same, I’m thinking 6:20 is a good time to shoot for.

Some of you Bay Area gangsters should ride with me next year and raise hella $$$ for a good cause (Livestrong.)[/quote]

When is it?

[quote=“Deutsche.Blick”][quote=“zombie”]I did a somewhat hilly century fixed in something like 6:58, including stops. Next year, if the course is the same, I’m thinking 6:20 is a good time to shoot for.

When is it?[/quote]

July.