Sell me on compact cranks

So I like the idea of having lower gearing without buying new derailers, etc. But I’m wondering:
Will a 34t small ring be a pain in the ass for normal riding? I have a 39 right now and I spend most of my time in the middle six gears of my cassette (12-25, 10s). Has anyone owned compacts and been frustrated by having to shift in front a lot? Is it worth the tradeoff of being able to spin up steeper hills?

Just switched to compact on my Synapse. Spend more time in the big ring but other than that I really can’t say I notice much difference.

Running 49/34 now with a 9spd 11x34 cassette and like the overall setup a lot. I’m all over both chainrings and the entire cassette pretty much all the time. I try to pick the best chainline available for whatever cadence/speed I’m at, if that means going to the small ring I do it. I’m running a 105 double FD and an XT rapid rise rear, Diacompe Silver downtube shifters.

I have FSA Gossamer compacts (50/34) on my road bike, with 105 brifters and FD. Even when adjusted perfectly it’s still loud and not at all smooth when shifting from small to big. I’ve had such an annoying time trying to get it working like it should that I’m actually upgrading to a Shimano 50t ring and an Ultegra FD. Not sure how much my experience will help, but know that it is a big jump from 34 to 50, and quality machined components and a finely tuned setup are crucial.

As for riding habits, I stay in the big ring 90% of the time and only throw it in the small ring for steep and/or long climbs. My last road bike was 52/42 and I went back and forth a whole lot more.

depends how hilly it is where you live, man.

This. A compact crankset can definitely be annoying if you like to cruise around on a 39t ring most of the time.

I read a persuasive argument for compact with a 46-48t front ring. Basically if you run the gear chart you’ll see that it will get you to a lot more places in the big ring, so you don’t have to do that big, clunky double shift on every moderate hill. And you still get a pretty big high gear, over 100 GI. It might not be big enough to race, draft a rig going 80 km/h, etc but it’s definitely fine for normal use.

Doing this for sure.

I’m using 48/38 in the front and just switched from 11-24 (7 speed) to 12-25 (8 speed) and I’m pretty stoked on it. This is on my bike that gets used on mixed road/gravel trail and its pretty hilly around here.

I spend most of my time in the big ring on my compact. On the flats I’m cross chained a lot trying to be in the 18 or 17 in the back. With rolling hills it is a little better. I’m in the 15 going down and I can mash up the short ones. I only shift down for long hills.

That said, I’ll be moving to a full size crank soon. I don’t need the 36 around here.

Are you racing? Are you pushing a big sprint? Do you keep over a 23 mph average on your ride?

If not, compacts are great. I’d even say compacts with an 11-23 are more suitable for an “average” non-pro rider for a range of terrain, while still giving you some good top end.

I wouldn’t time trial on a compact, but I’d certainly use one for training and lower cat racing.

There’s tons of good reasons if you check out google.

That would be me.

I’m wanting to get a 50/39 soon. I don’t have much need for a 53, even on the fast rides around here. The 50 will give me more useful gears for 90% of the stuff I do. And the 39 will keep me from cross chaining when I’m cruising around town. A 42 would probably be better, but I would lose the gears for climbing the short, steep hills around here.

The ideal conditions for a compact are mountainous areas. You’re either going up or down. Small ring or big ring. It sucks on the flats and light rollers unless you have a cassette pushed toward the low end like the Ultegra 14-25.

edit: just thought of one benefit. It allowed me to run a 12-23 instead of a 12-25. 18t cogs ftw.

This post isn’t really relevant, but on my road bike I’m usually in 53x19 (center cog on 7 speed) almost all the time. Rarely do I get into the small ring (39)

Y’all are making me feel like I’m doin it wrong… It is almost completely flat here though.

[quote=octopus magic]Are you racing? Are you pushing a big sprint? Do you keep over a 23 mph average on your ride?

If not, compacts are great. I’d even say compacts with an 11-23 are more suitable for an “average” non-pro rider for a range of terrain, while still giving you some good top end.

I wouldn’t time trial on a compact, but I’d certainly use one for training and lower cat racing.

There’s tons of good reasons if you check out google.[/quote]

You can race on a compact with an 11 in 99.99% of situations…
you can sprint with it just fine… none of us are sprinting in 53/11 unless its downhill or you have bad technique.
why would a 23mph average effect this? 100rpm = 50/17 or 53/18 90rpm 50/15 53/16

I have a compact on my cross bike, I rode it on the road for a few weeks before I remembered I had a compact on the bike… there is such little difference in top end…one cog normally, but it does help on steep climbs.

Yeah, this is what I’m worried about. Sounds like I’ll have to try one out.

i have compact/11-23 on my bike. might switch out the small ring for a 39 or so once i can acutally get outside and ride and see how it feels.

[quote=kmcdon3960]This post isn’t really relevant, but on my road bike I’m usually in 53x19 (center cog on 7 speed) almost all the time. Rarely do I get into the small ring (39)

Y’all are making me feel like I’m doin it wrong… It is almost completely flat here though.[/quote]

Do you normally cruise at 20mph? Isn’t there wind where you live? I think it’s safe to say that one of the assumptions in this thread is that cadence should be around 90-100rpm.

For the OP, compact cranksets can be really useful, but I’m just trying to point out that they can be annoying. You’ll be forced to change your shifting habits. I use a triple and for most things, I’ll find a cog on the middle of the cassette, and shift between the 52 and 39 for rollers and headwind/tailwind.

Scheleste Schwinn had 52/40 originally, geared down to 48-36 w/11-28 8spd cassette and it’s rad. Mainly stay in big ring, but the li’l guy’s handy commuting and climbing n’ what not.

I’d say about 18 is normal for me on the old flat delaware roads.

It’s not too windy around here either.